LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Swiss Lugers

Unread 05-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
Pete Ebbink
User

Default Red Bern M1929 on G-B

I have received several emails, off-line, from folks asking about this M1929 red Bern luger now on Gun-Broker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=47951339

From some of the digitized photos in the ad, it appeared that the gun's serial number might be # 66222...which would be too late to properly have red plastic, originally, from the Bern factory.

I emailed the selling shop and they confirmed the serial number is # 56222...which would be proper in the red plastic. Opening price (in the USA) with no reserve is pretty good and not too much bidding on this one. It might be a good bargain...

Considering the holster might be worth $ 200 here in the USA, the gun's price gets better.

One emailed me and indicated the red magazine does not appear to have the little swiss cross stamped in the round finger knob of the magazine bottom and he tought this might indicate a replacement magazine w/out Ordance proofing. Red mag's with the little swiss cross can be picked up here in the States for $ 150 or so...FGS usually have them.

Here is the photo the seller sent me :

Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2006, 10:08 AM   #2
tudorbug
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Odd, every place that you would expect to see the first serial number digit of "5" it is not legible, except above the take down lever in the above photo.

David
tudorbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2006, 11:18 AM   #3
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi David,

All the photos in the G-B add had a bit of their serial number hidden with some photo editing.

The photo I posted in my last posting was a photo I requested from the seller via an email through G-B.

I was trying to find out if the red plastic was apporpriate for this gun. Many brown and black Swiss M1929 lugers get their grips and magazine replaced with the more rare red plastic variety in an attempt by some sellers to boost the selling price by $ 400-500 or so.
Unread 05-07-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
Dean762
User

Default GB luger

I sent the pics of this gun to a friend in Europe who has forgotten more about Swiss Lugers that I will ever know. It was his opinion that the grips were a bit to red and in to good a shape compared to the rest of the gun. I could be wrong but I dont have a good feeling about it.
Dean762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #5
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi Dean,

I have seen a wide variety of the fading of the red plastic color...depends on how much sunlight the piece has seen.

I passed on one red Bern about 2 years ago. The finish was nearly factory new (and original) but the red plastic was exposed to too much sunlight to the point where the color was a light, pale orange color. One side of the pistol more than the other, as well.

It is also possible the red pastic has been replaced...but since the grips and magazine are never numbered to the gun, how would one tell with any certainty ?