LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 03-14-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
sandromxp
User

Default First Luger

Hi

I just joined last week and just bought my first Luger from a forum member. It's a 1940 Mauser 42 and can't wait to get it and shoot it! I've always wanted one and figured since I have a birthday coming up it woo make a great present.

I was wondering since the Luger I bought is a matching number gun I think it would be a good idea to buy some parts that could break with spare parts and shoot only with the spare parts. I was wondering what parts would be a good idea to swap and have spare parts? Also if I should change the springs on the gun. I saw Sarco does sell a kit with extractor and springs. I was wondering if this would be a good idea.

Also what ammo should I use? It's a 9mm. I've read Winchester white box is a good ammo to use.

Thanks in advance

Sandro
sandromxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #2
Eugen
User

Thumbs up

Sandro, welcome to the forum. I was in a similar situation last year; a newbie with a matching Luger (except mag). I contacted Lugerdoc on the forum as a result of many member recommendations and he sent me several replacement parts. I'd highly recommend that you do the same. He will send you what you need.

Now having said that, I ended up buying a Luger shooter and kept the extra parts I got from Luger doc as spares.
The following member says Thank You to Eugen for your post:
Unread 03-14-2017, 07:39 PM   #3
4 Scale
User

As I recall that 1940 Mauser is a very nice collectible and the general rule is don't shoot nice collectibles due to the value decline if a part breaks or the finish is marred; rather, buy a shooter. A shooter being defined as a pistol that either due to cosmetic issues or parts not matching will not be seriously devalued if a part breaks and that costs less than a collectible.

I do have a couple mid-range collectibles that I shoot on occasion, and when I do I replace the left grip, extractor, firing pin, hold open, toggle pin and ejector. I have a shooter as well and often simply put the shooter toggle in the nicer collectible. Raising the question of what exactly am I shooting....

Of course it is possible for other parts (toggle, barrel, receiver) to be damaged so there is no way to avoid all risk when you shoot a collectible.

Like Eugene, I bought extra parts but as I really enjoy shooting Lugers I also wound up with a couple shooters - arguably wasting money on the parts. Also sometimes substitute parts fit, sometimes they don't as manufacturing tolerances were much wider +75 years ago than today. To avoid this whole dilemma most new collectors are advised to start with a shooter.

Before buying more parts consider perhaps field strip it, inspect it and operate the action with dummy rounds "snap caps" and overall get familiar with it.

Personally I would not change springs especially on a Mauser unless and until function indicated the need.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 03-15-2017, 12:07 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

The extra parts might be half the price of a shooter.... now, I never say shoot a collectible gun, and the chance of hurting yours is slim, but possible.

I have blown out two breechblocks in shooters and I don't shoot that often. But one was plus p ammo. Winchester white box is a good choice.

Just be advised you're always taking a chance...
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2017, 09:56 AM   #5
K.Wilhelm
User

I totally agree with the good advice you've already gotten here; but I have to add that if you are determined to shoot it, make sure you thoroughly lube it with a good high-tech product first.
Unread 04-05-2017, 03:01 PM   #6
RShaw
User

I went through the same internal debate when I acquired my first Luger last November; main reason for buying it was to shoot. (and because I was fascinated and couldn't pass it up) It turns out to be a collector, so I've decided NOT to shoot it, for all the reasons mentioned above.

Instead (since I love to shoot) I ended up buying a nice non-collectible Luger (all matching but refinished 1918 DWM) also from a forum member. I still have yet to actually shoot this gun, still have 4 months to wait (Dutch law).

It may cost a little more (maybe), to look for a separate shooter, but in the end, I see the collector more as an investment piece and a beautiful piece of engineering, and I can shoot all I want with a quality shooter. Until I can actually bring my shooter Luger home, I have a good P38 (ac43) to bring to the range (no it's not a collector, and it shoots very well)

Maybe I should collect shooters!!

What I DON'T want is to mess up a higher priced all matching original collector. As one person on this forum said, "They just ain't makin' these no mo...."
RShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #7
Eugen
User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShaw View Post

What I DON'T want is to mess up a higher priced all matching original collector. As one person on this forum said, "They just ain't makin' these no mo...."
Makes sense to me. I have two shooters, that is half my collection. Two for investment (well, I am stretching the definition of the term "investment") and two to shoot'em like I hate'm.
Unread 04-05-2017, 03:35 PM   #8
RShaw
User

Hi Eugen,
So you have 2 shooters and 2 collectibles? Sounds good

I see my collectible more as an investment only because I really will not shoot this gun. (It's also the first Luger I had ever seen as well as the first Luger I have ever owned... so that makes it more special.)

If I REALLY NEED the $ farther down the road, I would perhaps sell it, but I would look for a buyer who appreciates it as the collectible that it is. Otherwise it will go to one of my children... I don't know right now. For sure it is special to have.....(Had to sell my Winchester Model 94 when I first came to the Netherlands... that was difficult.) Perhaps I will build a collection starting with this 1917 DWM. Fascinating guns these Lugers. Brilliant design Too bad the Mitchells didn't really take off.

In the meantime, I'm reading up on these firearms, shooting my P38 and waiting for my shooter 1918 DWM.
Unread 04-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #9
Robert in NC
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RShaw View Post

I'd say I'm a 'shooter collector'.

I'm new to Luger collecting, although I've been looking at Lugers for 30 years, just actually bought my first one a few months ago (1920 alphabet commercial). I've already decided that I'll be collecting 'shooters'. Mainly because I shoot my all of my guns, if I can’t shoot it I don’t want it.

My first goal is a DWM (4 inch barrel) from each year of WW1. Must have year appropriate magazine (wood base). Actually, that’s pretty much my total goal, although I’d also like to get a 5 digit serial number commercial to go with my alphabet commercial.

I find all matching shooters at various places, like Simpsons, in the $1000 to $1500 range. I guess condition is what makes them shooters, since they are all matching, except often for the magazine. For Lugers I think that's important because of the close tolerances, non-matching guns I understand are more prone to functional problems. And on an aesthetic side it looks nicer for all the external numbers to match.

It’s fascinating to read all the information about the variations, but I myself wouldn’t pay any extra just because a particular Luger variation was rare.

I guess that relegates me to the realm of ‘non-serious collector’. I appreciate those real (‘serious’) collectors for all the information they provide, I’m just not one of those. Yep, “shooter collector”, that’s me.
Robert in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2017, 03:15 PM   #10
RShaw
User

Hi Robert!
"Non-serious collector?" I'm not so sure... perhaps better to say "serious shooter collector."
Sounds like me... although I can certainly appreciate a true "collector's item" which one would not want to shoot. I keep coming back to the fact that, if all the real collectibles would be shot, they would disappear much more quickly... then what would we have left? Cobbled together parts guns...Ah well.. still have 4 months to wait for my shooter. . A matching but refinished 1918 DWM.

So how did you find your 1920 Commercial? What made you buy this particular one?
The following member says Thank You to RShaw for your post:
Unread 04-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #11
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

A"non-serious collector" is otherwise affectionately known as an "accumulator".
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 04-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #12
Robert in NC
User

An accumulator, I like that! I'm pretty sure my wife would agree with that term. :-)

I bought my commercial from Simpsons. I chose commercial because it seemed that in comparing military and commercial pistols of the same price the commercial was almost always in better shape. I choose Simpsons because it was suggested as a good place to buy a first Luger if you couldn't see the gun in person before the purchase. The person said that buying from Simpsons, you won't get any bargains, but you won't get ripped off either. Their descriptions were honest and were exactly what you'd get, which was true.

I guess I do have some criteria other than just matching and works. I want my guns to be in the original finish, whatever that condition might be, not re-blued. I don't want fake stamps. I want appropriate magazines, no aluminum-based magazine on a 1914 pistol, although that is fairly easy to fix I guess by finding another magazine, that's extra cost.

I see some Lugers that are just beautiful and original. I love to admire them but I know I'd never shoot them so they're out of my consideration. I am very glad there are people who collect them and keep them as historical items to be passed down as history. I am just not one of those people.

Working on saving the money for my next Luger. If I can ever get the kids out of the house (and keep them out, they move out and end up coming back) (23 and 29) it would be easier to save, but that's a whole other issue!
Robert in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to Robert in NC for your post:
Unread 04-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #13
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Saving up for another luger is impossible. With marriage comes more pressing priorities. Instead George Anderson accepted monthly payments and with him now own 20 different. Lugers unlike stocks are much more stable. I insist on being able to hold them in my hand! My german grandmother said the paper money is less valuable than toilet paper! As collectors eventually part with their prettys instead of relying on relatives, some goodies are emerging from closets and desk drawers. Now more then ever deals can be made! My secret was I love each and will never sell them unless things turn really rotten! I hug them daily~They are my other grand children! They survived my 2 prior wives although my third wife Debby insists the carbine is hers! Eric
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #14
RShaw
User

Robert, Cirelaw:
Interesting ideas... Taken together they sound like me!
Interesting observations- commercial versus military... I didn't know that. Since we here have less opportunity for online purchases, I would see and handle any gun I would buy. Importing from the US is a lot of extra work... US prices are a bit higher than they are here.. in general
It's very nice to trade thoughts with the different kinds of people here- from "serious collectors" to "shooters" to "accumulators!" It's a great help to define my own position and to appreciate where other people are coming from. Thing with collector Lugers is, one has to have some decent extra cash to part with.... not so easy when , as Cirelaw is saying, "with marriage come more pressing priorities." True for me as well.

Like Robert, I appreciate beautiful original firearms, but.... I am a shooter at heart. I guess I'm in the middle- I'm very happy to have been able to acquire my first Luger (a collectible) but also I'm willing to invest in a reblued matching piece to take to the range.

More than that, the social interaction is wonderful! I'm learning a lot about these very unique guns, I have made new friends, and a new world has opened! Can't do much better than that

Last edited by RShaw; 04-08-2017 at 02:11 AM.
The following 2 members says Thank You to RShaw for your post:
Unread 04-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #15
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts
Default Thank You For Our Common Excitement!

You have a beautiful country and residents~~ cirelaw is eric +law backwards~
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 04-07-2017, 10:47 PM   #16
sandromxp
User

Thanks guys. I shot my Luger for my Birthday last week and now o bought spare complete breechblock, extractor, ejector and grips from the LugerDoc. I was looking at changing the Breechblock but saw the pin didn't move easily. I then saw on Gunbroker a complete toggle with Breechblock. So I thought it would be better to just swap out the complete toggle than try to change the breechblock. I'm going to have the gun checked out by a gunsmith before I shoot it next time. I'm going to save the matching numbered parts and jut use the spare toggle just in case something happens that way the number parts stay ok. The reason I bought this one and spent more was that it was just like I dreamed my Luger would be. It's a 1942 Mauser 42 with the military proof marks. Honestly it looks great for a Luger that's from 1940. It doesn't have any pitting and looks like it was barely used unlike some I saw that had hardly any lie and pitted everywhere. I'm definitely going to get a shooter but this was my first one. Thanks for the advice and I can't wait to learn a lot more about my Luger.

Sandro
sandromxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2017, 02:16 AM   #17
RShaw
User

Hi Sandro,
Sounds like you are doing very well! Point is that you are learning and enjoying yourself.... and appreciating articles of history. So you are now combining "shooter" and "collectible" in one firearm!

Of all the people on this forum and on other forums, there is no person who "can eat just one."
I think we will be hearing about your second "shollectible" or "collooter" before long....

Looking for magazine no. 7097
Venlo, the Netherlands- RShaw
The following member says Thank You to RShaw for your post: