LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 03-14-2017, 11:33 AM   #21
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

After the fluted firing pin was introduced, an instruction was published that non-fluted firing pins currently in service were to be modified with the fluting. Don't have the documentation at hand.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Dwight Gruber for your post:
Unread 03-14-2017, 04:10 PM   #22
4 Scale
User

Dwight’s post motivated me to check my references and I discovered the following:

Gortz & Sturgess p.1115-1117 states that the primary or stated purpose of the flutes was to allow accumulated residue a means of travel away from the face of the firing pin. The thinner middle of the FP is intended to reduce friction and provide a “dirt trap”; the flutes provide a channel to the trap. It states that build-up of foreign material (absent the flutes) on a FP face could dampen the forward motion of the firing pin, so the flutes were primarily intended to make ignition more reliable. The section also mentions the flutes as providing an escape channel for gas in the event of a blown primer, but states that this was a secondary purpose.

A Reichswehr directive of 9/17/30 ordered the flutes added to all firing pins in official inventory. Grinding wheels or files of 2.5mm were used to add the flutes; new production from the factory then included the flutes through the end of production in 1942.

I can attest that the center section of the firing pin does indeed serve as a debris trap, even on non-fluted pins. I recently purchased a 1906 model American Eagle that included a non-fluted firing pin. There was so much dried residue on the thinner middle section of the FP that it would barely move. At the time I cleaned the pistol, I marveled at the debris quantity and why it chose to collect on the middle of the firing pin. Thanks to this thread, mystery solved.

Last edited by 4 Scale; 03-14-2017 at 07:48 PM.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 05-28-2017, 09:10 AM   #23
unitedcs
User

Default When were fluted pins introduced

Don't mean to step on this thread but had a question about fluted pins. Don mentioned that "the Germans made it all the way from 1900 to 1930 without grooved striker" When were fluted pins introduced? Could I assume that a numbered fluted pin in a mid 20's DWM commercial would not be original to the gun ?
unitedcs is offline   Reply With Quote