LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 12-17-2006, 01:47 PM   #1
c3006
User

Default Gun Show Buys

I am almost afriad to put these on here as I might not want to know what I brought I have no idea what the small on fits but it was cute and I got all 3 in a package deal.The light brown one is pigskin and the guy I got it from said it was made late in the war when they didnt have much leather left.The other seems to be a cut down artillary of some sort,I think Ive seen a couple of these on here before. I gave the guy $300 for the lot,if that was to much it wont be my first time,the guy I brought the fake mag from last week gave me my money back so that will balance it out a little.

Unread 12-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,503 Times in 2,078 Posts

I think the first one is a makarov holster and not worth a lot $20-$30...

The second is a "russian" luger holster, I have seen them go for $125 each but I got mine for $25.00 3 or 4 years ago... unknown if they are pre-war, post-war, or post-post war...

The last one is a artillery cut-down, worth from $125-$200, if original (show more of this one), I beleive on ebay it would go closer to the $200-$225... PSS{I thought there was one photo, I placed a "return" after each [/img] so each photo is on its on line...

Ed

PS: We much prefer if you post pictures here on the forum, and not on photobucket.
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
Pete Ebbink
User

Clint,

I have developed a small interest in those cut-down Artillery holsters used in the Weimar period.

I like the variety you see in how they are modified.

Here are 3 in my holster collection.

The one on the left is dated 1918 (on the back, as the close up shows).

The one in the middle is dated 1917 on the inside of the closure flap.

The one on the right has no markings.

I had Master Jerry Burney replace the closure straps on the middle one and the right one.

The one on the left and the one in the middle do not have any evidence of gun marks or impressions along the interior surfaces; so I suspect these original holsters were never issued and modified after WWI sometime. The one of the right has lot of use and carry history evident from wear, impressions inside, and a series of modifications.

Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2006, 04:02 PM   #4
the gunman
User

Very Very Nice Holsters Pete.
the gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
c3006
User

Nice looking holsters they almost look new,did you put anything on them to perserve them? I should have known the old runnin out of leather story was a little hoaky but at least I didnt go in the hole to deep a
Unread 12-17-2006, 05:33 PM   #6
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi Clint,

I use a shoe care product from the Nordstroms' department store called "Leather Lotion". It does not add color, does not tint the stitching, smooths over minor 'scuff" marks, and buffs to a nice satin sheen on the next day with a smooth, white cotton cloth.

I use it on all my Swiss holsters, as well, and am very pleased with the results.

My wife gave me this tip as she has used the stuff for years on her vintage hand-bags she inherited from her mother which are made of exotic leathers and skins.

From left to right, I recall I paid the following for these holsters :

L) $ 250, M) $ 175, R) $ 125

I had some minor costs for Jerry Burney to do the repairs I mentioned as well.
Unread 12-29-2006, 12:06 AM   #7
Lloyd in Nevada
User

Pete,

Those look like well made and highly crafted holsters--they exude quality. That "leather lotion" you use looks like it is doing a great job on those holsters. I use a product I suspect is very similar to what you use. It is called BICK 4 by a company called Bickmore. I get it at a Western Store and it is made exclusively for treating/conditioning/cleaning fine leather and exotic leathers. Has no silicone, wax or anything synthetic in it. Over the last twenty years I have used everything and this works by far the best. Makes or returns highly stiff leather to a supple condition and does not darken the leather at ALL. Anyway, for what it is worth I thought I would add my 2 cents worth. Happy New Year, Lloyd in Vegas
Lloyd in Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2006, 12:30 PM   #8
Pete Ebbink
User

Thanks, Llyod...

I am sure someone else makes it for Nordstrom's...

I am getting low on the Nordstrom's stuff so will pick some Bick-4 up at my local tack-shop...to see if it might be the same product...

Here is a link to your product :

http://www.bickmore.com/bickmore/home/
Unread 12-31-2006, 08:51 PM   #9
Aaron
Banned

C3006 (wish I had a proper name to call him) shows a cut down artillery holster which is almost certainly a GI modified example. After he had the holster cut down (probably be a German leather worker or shoemaker) he then had him install a GI belt attaching iron.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2006, 08:57 PM   #10
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,503 Times in 2,078 Posts

Aaron, if you click on his profile you can see a guys name (if they put it in there), C3006 's name is Clint, seems like a nice guy

I don't mind these "GI" modifications, would prefer it unaltereed, but they are history themselves.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2007, 12:30 PM   #11
Pete Ebbink
User

Aaron,

I think there are way too many cut-down Arty holsters to attribute them to WWI USA-GI's in Germany...

I suspect many un-issued LP-08 holsters never got out to the German troops and these left-over ones were modified to meet the holster needs in the 1920's in Germany and to meet the short-barrel restrictions in place.

The holster makers in German probably looked to their existing inventory and needed to figure out what to do with them all.

I have run across one cut-down Navy...done in a similar fashion. I tried to buy it, but was not successful.

Adding the GI web belt hanger to any holster is pretty easy to do.
Unread 08-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #12
Pete Ebbink
User

Terry,

Here is the discussion about cut-down artillery holsters...
The following member says Thank You to Pete Ebbink for your post: