LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 02-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
HardBaller
User

Default Interarms "German" Frame Production Numbers?

Can anyone assist me with a bar bet?

What was the production figure by Mauser for the P08/Interarms with the German frame vs the Swiss?

Any assistance greatly appreciated. I am aware that the Germans seem to be much harder to locate than the Swiss, but what was the actual production totals of each?

Thanks in advance.
Unread 02-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Actually, there were more P08 style frames made than there were Swiss style frames. But since Interarms agreed to take the bulk of the Swiss style frames during the first couple of years of the contract, and then terminated it, most Interarms marked Mauser Parabellums actually have the Swiss frame.

About 1/3 of the total production had a Swiss frame, all guns produced in 1970, 1971 and most of 1972. The switch was made in mid to late 1972.

So the answers is 2-fold: Most MP pistols had the P08 style frame, but Interarms got most of the Swiss style frames.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
HardBaller
User

You truly learn something every day...in this case it cost me $20.00. (the bet was on production figures and fair is fair)

I see your point, but I also very rarely see the German frame type here in the US. Can I assume from your response that there were other either importers or dealers who took the bulk of the German frames? Marketed only in Europe? What?

Thanks Vlim for your uber quick response.
Unread 02-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Well, the initial idea was that Interarms would purchase a large volume of MP's over a number of years. Because of rising cost prices and other market issues, as well as Mauser's initial mistake by producing a Swiss style, Interarms terminated the contract after only a few years. So just when Mauser were getting in the right direction (around 1973) Interarms pulled the plug. As a result most P08-style pistols were sold in Europe, and relatively few in the US. We don't see that many Swiss style frames over here, either
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote