LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 11-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
Rod WMG
User

Default artillery shooting

Well, I took my mismatched artillery out a couple of days ago and did some informal shooting at the local "range" (loose term) on the forest land nearby.

The sun was in my eyes due to the situation of the shooting lanes and reflected badly off the front sight of the pistol. And though I was using a stock, I'm so weak and shaky due to my bad health that a steady hold was hard to manage. The Win. White Box didn't seem to shoot to POA at 50 yards, but that could have been my fault. I did try one round at a 100 yards, smacking a 6" diameter rock just fine by applying some "Kentucky elevation." I didn't bother trying to adjust the rear sight for one round.

I'm hoping to locate a place where I can shoot out to 200 yards or so to try later. I need to use a solid rest and really try to bear down.

I sure love artilleries in terms of potential and for fun shooting. If I were able to hunt I might try to endanger some jackrabbits.
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Mauser720
User

Rod WMG -

Someday when I have the time, I intend to test my artillery at longer ranges too.

Suggestion: To eliminate the glare problem on your front sight (and rear sight too if that becomes a problem) take a common candle with you to the range. Use the candle flame to deposit black soot on the front sight and this will kill the glare. (Competitive marksmen use carbide lamps to do this, but a candle works just as well.)

Mauser720 - Ron
Unread 11-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
alvin
User

Rod -- I saw a gun picture a few days ago and it gave me a hint on how to "create" a big range in a small one. Install a scope this way:

Never mind. Just a joke. I hope I could have an Artillery Luger.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
Rod WMG
User

Ron, I actually know of this trick, but thanks. The pistol has been recently restored and I didn't even think of that being an issue. I think if I had an umbrella, things would be a lot better.

Alvin, I enjoyed that one! I'd like to have that gun pictured!
Unread 11-15-2008, 05:51 PM   #5
alvin
User

?? I thought it's funny, not that sniper rifle though. The interesting one is the scope, well, not really the scope, it's the way the scope was mounted.

When a scope is used in normal way, it magically drags an object closer from 200 yards to 50 yards. But if you look through it from the other end, it pushes a object at 50 yards to 200 yards Install one this way on the Artillery could help to create a "virtual" 200-yard range!

Recommend this mounting to Olympic Shooting training.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #6
Rod WMG
User

Olympic training is a grand idea. And I understood exactly what you meant just from the pic.
Unread 11-18-2008, 07:11 AM   #7
Steinar
User

For further challange in addition to turning the scope, one can print the picture below (shown in full size) and and place it at 100m