LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 03-08-2022, 03:18 AM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,579 Times in 988 Posts
Default Drum beat, just so you know?

Hi to all, it has been a long time since I last gave out any info, or problem-solving tips, because, it has been an ongoing improvement sequence and we are close to total success!
I have very few malfunctions at the bench, and even fewer when the drums are out working. But, just the other day, I received one of my latest revised drums back for repair. The drum had jamed around cartridge # 12 and was about 1/2 way thru the string. When I disassembled the drum I found that the spring coils right under the follower had interlocked and caused the follower to sit off at an angle, thus prohibiting the follower from making the turn in the transition / elbow part of the drum? ... ... What the hell???
I had only observed this once before in several years of drum revision, and it had never happened to me? Well, after replacing the follower assembly, I sent the drum back to the owner, after several successful bench test runs, and I describe the prevention for this particular issue may lie in the loading sequence, or more exact, the end of the loading sequence? Following is a letter I enclosed to better help my customer going forward...

"Now we just have to do a little problem solving so we do not repeat the problem going forward.
After our phone conversation, I gave the issue a lot of though, and as it has only happened twice, (your experience being one of the two, both with first time owners) I tried to adjust my thought process along the lines of a new, first-time experience with the drum, and I came to the following conclusion. The only way the spring could cross or bind loops is over compression? Meaning that when the spring was compressed as far as it can physically go, any additional pressure would defeat the spring at the “solid” end of its working parameters.
So, this would involve the loading sequence, as every action after that is decompression rather than compression.
If, when loading, you loaded until the mag would not accept any more rounds, the last stroke of the lever might just be enough to intertwine the coils… In other words, round number 33 might just be enough to break the camels back!
Now, I’m not sure, but in trying to eliminate the problem, I must weigh all the possible scenarios, and this seems the most likely.
I also realize that I’ve never experienced this malfunction, but, that may be, because I layout the 32 rounds prior to loading and am sensitive to the loading count and loading tool tension.
Once you become familiar with all mentioned above, you will be a pro at all the operating nuances necessary for correct function.
If you need any further help, call me anytime and we’ll get it done"
I hope this helps some of you who have yet to come across this issue, maybe we can head it off before we get bit? Best to all, til....lat'r....GT...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 12 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 03-08-2022, 11:01 AM   #2
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Good For You!!!!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2022, 01:43 AM   #3
grantman
User

G.T. You are the Maestro of Magazines!
grantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2022, 01:01 PM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Thanks Grant!

I very much appreciate and hold dear the friendships and member acquaintances I find on both forums. I look at it as, I'm just a personal Luger mechanic that helps keep your Luger machines running and on the range! ...... The folks here have been very kind to me... Thanks Grant, best to all......til......lat'r......GT....
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 03-14-2022, 06:17 PM   #5
Kiwi
User

G.T. are you repeating the old adage

"can't fit 10lbs of **** in a 5lb bag"

A.k.a. a 32 round mag does not work with 33 loaded
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Kiwi for your post:
Unread 03-14-2022, 06:30 PM   #6
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Exactly!

That last push on the loading handle may indeed, be the last push just before disassembly! Best to all, til.....lat'r....GT
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 03-15-2022, 09:15 AM   #7
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,341 Times in 2,036 Posts

Be "kind" to your magazine, only load 25 or 26 !
That should be enough and is much easier on the mag and on the human loader ! JMHO.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 03-15-2022, 12:47 PM   #8
Eugen
User

G.T., good info.
33 boolits?! We don't need no stinkin' 33 boolits in our drums!
The following 2 members says Thank You to Eugen for your post: