LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 05-26-2023, 10:41 AM   #1
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts
Default New Jersey Law Prohibiting Many Firearms

As you know, we avoid any discussion of politics here, and it's important that this thread not go that way.

If you live in the US state of New Jersey, you need to be aware of a law recently passed which has a disturbing impact on those owning any firearms that are military surplus arms made outside the United States.

https://www.ammoland.com/2023/05/new...an-us-history/

The New Jersey law has added prohibitions in an attempt to stop "ghost guns" that are poorly worded:

There are NO exceptions and there is NO grandfathering. This was the largest gun ban ever passed in the history of the United States.
The law bans ALL firearms with a “…firearm frame or firearm receiver …which is not imprinted with a serial number registered with a federally licensed manufacturer…”

Since our Lugers were not made by "federally licensed manufacturers" they are in effect now prohibited.

I suggest that anyone living in or traveling through the US state of New Jersey monitor legal action relating to this law in the future and consider the issue of maintaining such firearms in the state until the issue is resolved.
The following 4 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 05-26-2023, 06:07 PM   #2
gunnertwo
User

Marc,

Thanks for the information. Hopefully lawsuits will be filed.

G2
gunnertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to gunnertwo for your post:
Unread 06-21-2023, 12:44 PM   #3
calibrator
User

I had a decent Luger collection up until I decided to sell off my guns to pursue other interests. Came here nearly 2 decades ago to learn about my first Luger. Made good friends with a few Patron members, even had them into my home on several occasions. I still swing through here several times a year just to see who's still alive.

One thing that always amazed me was the C&R clauses that allowed certain pistols to legally mount stocks without a legal problem. High Capacity mags are being outlawed in many states with no Grandfathering clause. Considering how the ATF has reversed itself lately, I'd be worried about the future. Unlicensed posession of Artillery/Navy stocks and Snail Drums could put you in prison/heavily fined. Bump Stocks, Pistol Braces, Forced Re-set Triggers were legal, ... then they weren't and possession could now turn you into a felon.

While I may no longer be a firearms owner, I still believe in the right of law-abiding citizens to own weapons in a free society. Anyone here who thinks Lugers are somehow NOT going to be restricted in the future needs to look at the creeping incrementalism being witnessed currently.

People NEED to be aware of what is happening. Relying on the nightly news will NOT give you vital info you need. Folks on a Forum such as this NEED a category that will inform them of what's actually happening in real-time. That's NOT Politics, that's self-preservation.
calibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to calibrator for your post:
Unread 06-22-2023, 09:44 AM   #4
Kiwi
User

" the creeping incrementalism being witnessed currently"

That could be re-phrased as creeping "infringement" expressly forbidden by the Constitution.

Politicians who cynically break the law by passing obviously unconstitutional laws, knowing they will be overturned, but also knowing that they can enforce them until overturned should be liable for civil suit for any losses due to their unconstitutional law.
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2023, 11:45 AM   #5
calibrator
User

I'll consider myself LUCKY to live another 10-15 yrs. Graduating High School in 1971, you can imagine the type of society that formed me and my value system. I always say I'm glad that my parents passed 25+yrs ago, and aren't around to witness what we've allowed to happen to our Society. I feel even greater sadness for the millions who died fighting WWII if they could somehow see not only the massive decline of the US, but the rest of the Free World as well.

Fatalism

Philosophical doctrines
Fatalism is a family of related philosophical doctrines that stress the subjugation of all events or actions to fate or destiny, and is commonly associated with the consequent attitude of resignation …

Anymore, I'd say I'm a Fatalist. The "System" is too entrenched to be overturned. Small victories are won against it occasionally, but it plays the long game. We've allowed the pendulum to swing TOO far in a certain direction, and it's being held back by the "System".

Huxley and Orwell certainly were visionaries. It was only during the "LockDowns" that I first read "1984" and "Brave New World". There is a movie version of "1984" that stars Richard Burton when he was in his full-blown alcoholism phase, and it has an alternant sound track by the Eurythmics. I liked the movie a lot, however I wished that I had seen the movie first so I would have had a more vivid mental picture of the real horror while I was reading the book.

"1984" lives today. The main character has a job (as do many others) were they must constantly re-write history as well as "disappearing" people who fall out of favor with the Regime. War between 3 world powers is what controls everything/everybody. Cameras everywhere, even in the homes. How could Orwell have known almost to a T our current situation???
Unread 06-24-2023, 05:22 AM   #6
grantman
User

Default 1984 lives

The real problem is the fact that irrationalism has been given a place in public policy. All of the new movements such as critical theory, transgender ideology, student loan forgiveness, credit score offsetting and "equity" politics are rooted in irrationalism in that they are not rooted in objective facts.

I graduated HS in the mid-70s and college in the mid 80s. The following generations will create the world they want...it just wont be rooted in the concept of inalienable rights and consent of the governed.

1984 and Brave New World each offered a different form of totalitarianism....one based on control through fear and the other based on control by giving people what they crave.
grantman is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to grantman for your post:
Unread 06-24-2023, 10:51 AM   #7
calibrator
User

Yeah grantman, "1984" was fear, "Brave New World" was pleasure and excess for control. I'd say we have the Double-Whammy in our current situation. I'm trying to figure out which category the soft-on-crime posture and glorifying one domestic terrorist element while vilifying another fits in, or is it in it's own realm. To me the answer is obvious, just not politically acceptable currently.