LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 03-11-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default 32 round drum issues?

Hello to all, I have a couple of drums in for repair & checking out to see if there are any issues that need attention. Well, I found one!........ This is a question for all drum / shooter owners and maybe I can get a cross section of the frequency of this problem... With a functional, lubed drum magazine, when attempting to load it with the loading tool, how many of you have the loader pop off at about round 20 to 25? The catch in the loader doesn't engage the notch on the mag very deep, and you can't continue with the loading process? What was your solution if you experienced this dilemma???.... Let me know what you think.. best to all til...lat'r....GT...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

GT, I am flying blind since I don't have a drum available to look at, but I only see two scenarios here:

IF the catch on the loader is a good fit to the drum, I would say that a stronger spring is required to hold the loader on the magazine. Since spring fabrication is something you do, creating a good replacement spring should cure this problem.

If the catch on the loader is a poor fit, I would think it would require some good welding to build up the catch, and re-machining to be a good fit to the magazine notch. The dimensions of the magazine notch are on the blueprints (which I know you already have) so creating a good fit should not be a problem if that is the issue.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 03-11-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default catch & notch!

Sounds like a tv show doesn't it? ...........Hi John, I've already determined that it is a poor fit, with probably about 10% contact area. I've had the spring wedged solid and it still got past the catch on the catch button? I am neither a welder, nor do I have a mill? I suspect both will be needed in this adventure... My bewilderment comes at the fact that this issue can even exist as they made more than three of these things???........ How are other members getting by?.... best to you John, til...lat'r....GT...

BTW, if you take the mag catch out of the loader and hold up against the front spine of the mag, it doesn't even fit the notch well in any regard, even loose?....
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 03-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

GT, I don't have all my Artillery drums & loaders here but I can say in the many times I have loaded my drums this has NEVER happened before? Will look closer when I get next to my P-Kasten box.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2015, 01:39 PM   #5
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default drum loader

Hi Jer, pretty sure it's the loader.. I've just not enough experience to know yet?... I'd love to compare, but need a few more to come down the line to make that happen.... .. best to you, til...lat'r....GT
Unread 03-17-2015, 12:52 AM   #6
chromeed
User

Default 32 round drum loading tool

GT,
I took a rough measurement of the catch on my loader and it looks like it extends about 2.5 mm in with no more than about 1 mm of slop in the fit to the magazine so that gives at least 1.5 mm of catch holding. I am also attaching a picture of the inside of the loder showing the catch and how much it extends.
I push in the catch release when I attach the loder to the magazine to reduce the ware on the catch that might happen if the loder is just pushed on.
My loder has the markings B/N on it I am not sure if it is an aftermarket or original.
I will attach a picture
Have you done any Nickel Plating?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	47332  

For my 1936 P-08 Mag #5800 will trade Mag Al Stamped Blue #6859 k Straight Eagle 655 & #3502 n+St Eagle 63
For my 1917 Artillary Wood Mag #9220 I have #3392 f +
chromeed is offline   Reply With Quote