LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 03-26-2024, 10:32 AM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Extractor notch relief correction!

Hi to all, cutting right to the chase, the dimensions of the tenons on Luger barrels are all different, as well as the extracor relief notch varies considerably as well? Well, if you have the provisions for barrel removal, and a milling machine and a dinky little radius cutter, then this threads for you!!! Here is what I just wrote to my forum friend machinest, thought you'all would be interested...
BTW, the formula to determine the amount to be removed, or the depth can be arrived at in the following method.
Assuming the chamber / headspace is correct, and the receiver is in spec. I arrived at the following conclusions, theories and facts?
I will start with all of the threaded tenons vary somewhat from barrel to barrel, also, the depth of the extractor cut varies as well. The only constant starting point is the barrel flange, so all measurements are determined with the flange as a starting point. So first, we measure the OAL of the threaded tenon, from the flange to the breech face.. Just for this example, we will say .750" next we measure the depth of the extractor relief cut, lets say, .115". Subtract the extractor cut dimension from the tenon OAL and you'll get .635" Subtract .630" (a constant base number, arrived at through new original barrel measurement) and you'll arrive at .005" that can yet be removed if required!
Lets use another example, one that is not deep enough and is affecting extraction? Extractor notch is .097" Tenon .745" ( .745" - .097" = .648" - .630" = .018" )
So, you can remove .018" and bring the extractor notch up to max depth? Clear as mud, huh? Best, til....lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post: