LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 06-08-2006, 05:10 PM   #1
lugerluser
User

Default I Need Help!

Like I said, I need help. New to forum's, And way new to Lugers. I have been buying & selling guns for years. Mostly 1911's. For the last 10 years, I have allways loved Lugers from afar. Never knew about them so never bought one.
hk's, sig's, colts, glocks, les baer's, wilsons, I have had them all. THEN i got married! Where the hell did my gun $ go? THEN, kids! So needless to say my priorties changed. So have my tastes. I now have to sell a gun or two, to get one. Now selling guns that i have no passion for. And buying guns that mean something. I just sold a few, and bought an M-1 Garand, a High Standard .22, A Belgium Browning Trap gun & a Carbine. You know what, I like having Good old guns that look good, i can shoot, interesting & might be worth more $ later. So I am selling a couple of Kimbers on gun broker, and buying my first Luger. You know what i know about Lugers NOTHING! Well a little. I know what I THINK i want. Military or Commercial i don't know. I know i want a shooter, well, a gun some collecters would not shoot, but i would. Only about 20 to 50 rounds a year. 95 & up blueing, ALL matching numbers even the Mag. Something with a little history. And will gain value. At least a little. My budget will be about $1,000. A little more little less. Depends on my Kimber sales. Is this possible? I was going to buy on Gunbroker, till i read on here, Not to buy a Luger on an Auction site. So Guys, what do i do, were to buy. I want a great Luger for a great price. Doesn't everyone! Help! Thanks, Guys!
lugerluser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
pipeman45
User

In the condition you want,and the price you wish to pay. I wish you luck. Mismatched shooters are going for between $500-$650. I'm not saying you will never find one- I'm just saying for a 95% + pistol you may have to add another $1000.
Unread 06-08-2006, 05:20 PM   #3
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

LL, I suspect your budget is a tad short for 95% all matching with a matching mag. Generally an honest pistol in this catagory is going to start at $1300 to 2300. The matching mag is what kicks your dream in the head. You could probably find what you are looking for in this price range without the matched mag. Have patience and keep beating the bushes.
Most dealers will have pistols priced high, auctions are good if you ask enough questions and find an honest seller. Mostly this is a collector board so it is difficult to pry any pistols like this away from us. We are looking for them too! Good to try though, never know when someone is willing to give up something .
Welcome to the Luger Forum, glad to have you! Jerry Burney

You might look at Joe Salters site for some examples...

http://www.joesalter.com/index.html

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2006, 02:02 AM   #4
Aaron
Banned

I'm sure a number of the members of this forum (including me) could supply a decent matching Luger in the $1000 range, but definitely not if you insist on the matching mag. Lugers with matching mags are definitely desired by collectors, and that's what drives the price up.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2006, 06:08 AM   #5
Bob in OH
User

Not to be cynical, but if your knowledge of lugs is low you might find a P08 with renumbed mag. Be careful, as some mags have been ground and renumbered and the unwary might be tricked. I saw a collection of about 6 lugs and 5 had bogus mags. The seller/dealer had no idea. Just be mindful when you look at that mag. Good luck on the hunt...
Bob in OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2006, 09:01 AM   #6
lugerluser
User

You guys are great, I am Learning! Keep 'em coming! Thanks!
Unread 06-29-2006, 02:48 PM   #7
lugerluser
User

Ok Guys! close to selling some guns, so very close to buying that first Luger. I have been looking for a shooter, and I am thinking I would like to have a "reblued" nice looking "matching" Luger. #51355068 is a luger on gunbroker. This looks like what I would want. I think. This is from someone who has NO lug history! What do you think? I want a good deal! Point me in the right direction! Sell me one or something. I hate not knowing what I am talking about! Anyway, thanks.
Unread 06-29-2006, 03:26 PM   #8
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

This appears to be a rather nice, craftsmanly, older refinish job. Actually, its quite a bit nicer than most every other refinished Luger you see, and comes closer to a restoration (which it is not). I'd be curious to know what the bore is like if I was intending to shoot it.

In my opinion its price has reached its value, although if the goal is to have a really nice looking Luger for shooting, and only one, a person might find it worth a premium. I hope the seller hasn't set his reserve unrealistically high.

If you get it, in the long run you will probably find yourself wanting to have the small parts properly strawed. Also, consider that the magazine is not proper for the gun, and certainly useless for reliable shooting. You will certainly need other magazines, and may find that you want a proper wood-bottomed authentic magazine for display purposes.

A very intriguing rework, thanks very much for pointing it out. And good luck with it or whatever other Luger you decide on, be sure to let us know.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2006, 04:14 PM   #9
lugerluser
User

Thanks Dwight. I don't think I will have the $ in time to bid on that one. Just wanted to let you know what i am looking for. And if that was alright. I don't know what strawed means, and i don't want a lug that will not be reliable ( to a point). My budget will be somewhere around $1000. I guess what I am asking for is to be told, hay have this gun or saw this gun on so & so and it looks like what you are looking for and a good buy would be this much $. Asking to much? Maybe. I know a lot of you guys know a lot more than I about Lugers. I just want to benefit from that knowledge. Sorry. And thank You.
Unread 06-29-2006, 11:42 PM   #10
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Sean, There were two very respectable Lugers offered on this very Forum in the last few days. One a 6" with a new barrel. Neither of them reblued as I recall. One at 1000 and one at 750.
Just as an aside, shortening Herr Lugers name to lug is sure to be irritating to others as well as myself. This is a great and famous man who deserves our respect. I have as little time as anyone I know to contribute to this Forum and the many eMails I recieve asking my sage advice. I shorten nothing for which I hold high regard, especially concerning Herr Luger and my fellow Forum members. But, that's just me.
Thanks! Jerry Burney

Take a look here for a smokin deal...

http://luger.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8088

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 06-30-2006, 09:25 AM   #11
lugerluser
User

Jerry, Very sorry for the Lug thing (sorry, did it again), I have only been on this site for a very short time, and have seen it numerus times! I just thought that was how it was done. Just trying to fit in. My mistake. I am learning. Certainly did not what to offend. It would seem to me that man does deserve more rescect that that. I have the same problem with "X-mas" And Jerry, if you see any other Lugers that you think I would enjoy, let me know, Please! Thanks, Sean
limited59@hotmail.com
Unread 06-30-2006, 09:29 AM   #12
lugerluser
User

If the man deserves respect, i should at least spell correctly! Sean.....
Unread 07-02-2006, 10:53 PM   #13
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

hmmm, I have not noticed the "lug" thing. Mag yes for magazine, but not lug? If folks say lug they are refering to a part of the gun and not Georg Luger... Or I'll ban them and be done with him.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2006, 11:21 PM   #14
sambuscemi
User

Ed: Could he have noticed the term "stock lug" and confused it to mean luger??? A passing thought.
sambuscemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2006, 11:27 PM   #15
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

I think so too Sam
Unread 07-04-2006, 01:15 PM   #16
lugerluser
User

I TOLD YOU GUYS I KNEW NEXT TO NOTHING ABOUT LUGERS! Sean
Unread 07-04-2006, 01:20 PM   #17
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

I think we were trying to NICELY help you out by pointing out that you might have made a mistake. We were not dogging you out, but that it could be a mistake that ANYONE could make.

Relax, cool down...

Unread 07-04-2006, 10:24 PM   #18
lugerluser
User

Forgot to take the capital lock off, sorry. Not upset at all, just wish this gun would sell so i can buy a Luger. Thanks Sean,
Unread 07-12-2006, 09:01 AM   #19
lugerluser
User

Ok Guys, I sold a couple guns! Time to buy my first Luger! If you look up top, you will see what I THINK I am looking for. I found a couple on gunbroker: 51933836 & 52289140. I don't understand the reason the mags do not have wooden bottoms. Is this correct? I think both want $1300 for them, A little out of my range. Does anyone know of a good buy on a all matching (except mag) 98% shooter out there? When I say shooter, maybe 20, 30 rounds a year. Not much. Thanks Guys!
Unread 07-12-2006, 09:36 AM   #20
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Sean, Have some patience. Several excellent shooters have appeared recently, more will possibly appear. Don't jump in without some intelligent questions. An all matching 98% shooter is going to be expensive. A pistol with 85% blue still looks pretty nice. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)