LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-14-2001, 01:10 AM   #1
Ted
User

Default WWII Movies-OT-TOO LONG

Finished "Desert Rats" "The Desert Fox" and "From Hell To Victory". Desert Rats (DR) I thought was rather good but the small shells that the British were knocking out the German Tanks with was a little silly. A few Luger holsters on officiers were observed. The Desert Fox (DF)I thought not quite as good, it really needed more action and concentrated a lot on the Hitler/Rommel conflict rather than the Allied/Axis one. FHTV was a surprise and had a good mixture of individual stories of six friends in the war. A couple of P.38s were seen and Peppard used a silenced smaller pistol and there is a scence with the French Resistance shooting a German Officer at a train station and the pistol looked like a 1922 Browning. This one had commando raids, tank battles, several good shootout, some scuba action. All in all a good surprise. I will enjoy this one quite a few times. It was the only one in color. George Peppard changed uniforms and outfits more than necessary and him going into a fight with the German Tanks coming and he was wearing a black modern day baseball hat, a little funny there. I give them the following rating on a scale of 1-10 on how much I enjoyed them! DR-6, TDF-4.5

FHTV-7.5 Looking forward to Operation Crossbow which should get here in a day or so! Also have Shining Through to watch, Michael Douglas is wielding a P.38 on the back cover, which looks good! Still none of them is in the class with my all time favorite "Where Eagles Dare" a 10.0 in my book! If they would only put out that one and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" on DVD widescreen, I would be extremely happy! Ted

Unread 04-14-2001, 05:52 PM   #2
Matt
User

Default Re: WWII Movies-OT-TOO LONG

Saw "Enemy at the Gates" today. It was just as good the second time! Look forward to this one coming out on DVD. Amazon is out of "A Bridge Too Far" but is expected to have it again in May. I plan to order "From Hell to Victory." I've heard the reason the Indiana Jones films are not on DVD is because George Lucas has not authorized it, but I do not know the reason. I am surprised "Where Eagles Dare," being an Eastwood movie, isn't on DVD yet. I'm gonna keep watching for it. There are several war movies I want, but I'm gonna hold off for awhile to see if they are released on DVD. "The Longest Day" is out on DVD and I plan to buy it. I can't wait to see "Pearl Harbor."

Unread 04-15-2001, 01:20 PM   #3
dm
User

Shining Through is an interesting film that shows up on Sunday afternoon TV. The German officer for whom the female lead works goes after her with his luger. M Douglas is the weak actor in this one and his portrayal of an SS officer as well as the script of him carrying a woman into Switzerland is weak. Despite that, there is a shoot-out between Swiss and German border guards, a nickeled ppk in the hands of the female bad guy and other entertaining bits for the collector.

Unread 04-15-2001, 02:58 PM   #4
Ted
User

The Luger scene.....?, must have fallen asleep, I will watch it again! I do watch them LATE at night! Ted

Unread 04-15-2001, 04:48 PM   #5
Ted
User

Most of these movies show the P.38 a lot more than the Luger. Shining through and Operation Crossbow both had P.38 firing scenes. Operation Crossbow was excellent!! I would rate it 8.5. I noticed 4 actors from WED. Even Winston Churchill in OC was one of the actors from WED. Peppard made some great WWII movies. From Hell to Victory, Night of the Fox, Operation Cross Bow, Tobruk, The Blue Max.

A Great Collection. Another Actor I really enjoy in WWI movies was Telly Savalas, in Dirty Dozen, Battle of the Bulge, Kelly's Heros. Richard Burton, Clint Eastwood, Telly Savalas, George Peppard, Robert Shaw, Wolfgang Preiss, Hardy Kruger, Anton Driffring, Michael Caine, Edward Fox, Maximilian Schell,James Mason, Richard Jaekel, and a couple more German Actors who names I dont recall really made these memorable for me. Any other major names I forgot, there were so many! Ted

Unread 04-15-2001, 08:34 PM   #6
Matt
User

I've noticed WWII movies show P.38s more than Lugers. I wonder if the P.38 works better with blanks? One thing I liked about "Operation Crossbow" is, unlike most war movies, George Peppard used the MP40 CORRECTLY with the stock extended. I also think I recall a Luger scene in "Shining Through." I thought I saw a fourth actor from WED in OC, but I also watch them late at night and didn't feel like rewinding it to see. In "Dirty Harry", the killer uses an MP40 and P38. The TV movie "The Deadly Tower," about the mass murderer who shot people from the University of Texas observation tower, has a scene where Kurt Russell stuffs a Luger in his jacket. That is correct because the killer REALLY did have a Luger. Great list of war movie actors, Ted. Two I would add is George C. Scott in "Patton" and the German actor Karl Otto Alberty who has been in many war movies.

Unread 04-16-2001, 07:41 AM   #7
Mike T.

Default Re: Lugers shooting blanks

Apparently at least some Lugers are good at shooting blanks. The following was described in the Luger episode of "Tales of the Gun". When they were making the movie "Sgt. York" with Gary Cooper, they were having trouble recreating the scene where York shoots large numbers of Germans with his 1911 .45 Colt. Apparently, the .45 would not cycle the blank cartridges. They rewrote history and had Cooper capture a Luger which he used in place of the Colt. The Luger employed the blanks flawlessly.