LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 01-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
mystical_tutor
User

Default Thai LP08

Sorry, I tried to use the search on here but could not find what I am hopeing someone can tell me.

I have a Thai LP08 that I bought when they were first imported to the US.

Where can I get a guesstimate on its present value?

A link would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Gary
mystical_tutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

Gary, instead of Thai, try Siam or Siamese

Also they have them on the major gun sites.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
mystical_tutor
User

Ed!

That really helped. One thread even showed the Shotgun News add that I remember.

BIG Thanks

Major boards, well I have been to GunBroker, Simson, and a couple others but found no Siamese. There were only about 100 of the LP made so I'm not surprised that I don't see them all over.

Saw a Luger Catalog at a gun show by Aarron Davis. Been out of collecting for so long that the name doesn't ring a bell. How credible is his catalog?

Gary
Unread 01-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
drbuster
User

Not very credible, Gary. See Dwight Gruber's excellent and detailed review of Davis' book. I believe it was on both Forums and can be seen via the "search" function.
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
mystical_tutor
User

Thanks, that was interesting reading and a well done review. It is too bad he ran out of energy but I can sure identify with that these days....LOL.

Any suggestions on how I can value my Siamese LP08? I'm not looking for anything definitive but whould like to get a ball park idea. As Gruber pointed out, Aarron's condition catagories are not very well defined so the prices he lists don't tell me much.

In any case, thanks again for the reference.

Gary
Unread 01-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
LugerVern
User

Gary

I don't think anyone is going to venture a guess on the value of your gun without more information or pictures.

Condition is important as is completeness ,any accessories and the magazines will all come into play as value is concern.

Before the economic downturn in August 08( things took a real dive at this point) the price of lugers were going up fast and the Siam lugers were gaining in popularity as new collectors were trying to put together a set of them. Supply and demand was pushing the value of you luger up very fast. Bad times are starting to affect the Luger market, even though I will tell you they are holding their values pretty good compared to many other things--they are still a great investment. Economic stress is causing some collectors to sale their guns the flip side to this is that collectors ( buyers) know that for at least a few months to come good deals will appear on the market driving prices down.

If you would like the members of the form to help value your gun, please post clear pictures of both the gun, mags. and stock if you have one.

Sorry for the long post

Vern
LugerVern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
mystical_tutor
User

Vern, your comments seem most appropriate. I had really not intended to bug the members of the board for a value. I was hoping there was a reliable reference someplace I could access. Well, maybe this board is that reference....LOL.

I was told at the time I bought it that most all of the Siamese lugers were in close to the same condition. Of course the hit was "you can pay extra for a choice piece" or some such rot. Well I paid the extra but have no idea how mine compares to any of the rest as I have not seen any of the other 99 (or whatever was imported).

I will follow your advice but not for awhile. I must be out of country for some time and probably will not have time to get it out of the storage vault and take pictures before I leave.

The economic situation and the future actions of our President Elect are serious concerns but there is nothing I can do about either so when I return from Asia I will "bug" the board with pictures, etc (if I can figure out how to do that--I'm a bit computer challenged).

Thanks much for your time taken in posting to me and your good advice.

Gary