LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Announcements & Help > Site Technical Help or Site Feedback

Unread 04-21-2003, 05:13 PM   #1
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Post Be back on Friday...

I will be away from the internet and email for a couple of days, but will be back on Friday... so don't panic if I don't respond to a message thread or Private message...

See you all on Friday.

-Your unpaid but vigilant Admin! Ed Tinker will be looking after things in my absence and I think that John D. is hovering close by for emergencies...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2003, 11:59 PM   #2
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by John Sabato:
<strong>.....I think that John D. is hovering ......</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Well - when I overcome the "hovering" stage and graduate to "walking on water" - I'll sell tickets

"Hovering".... Sheeshhhh... Actually - I "lurk"

Best to all...!
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2003, 10:46 AM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

As Arnold Swarzenagger said... "I'll be back!"... Well here I am... missing several hours of sleep but I am back at the switch...

My personal thanks to Ed Tinker and John D. for keeping watch over the forum while I was out of town. Thanks guys!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
Unread 04-25-2003, 12:30 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts
Glad you're back, this isn't that tough, just some watching every now and then.

But got to go to bed, since I have been up since you left...
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2003, 03:42 PM   #5
Ronald Welch
User

John
A long time ago someone told me that the letter at the end of the Luger serial number was the month it was made,example a is jan. b is feb and ect. could this be correct?

Regards Ron Welch #877
Ronald Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2003, 03:59 PM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Not likely Ron... the speed of production could far exceed that number...or even be below that number...

Generally, Most Luger reference books agree that they started the serial number sequences with 0001 and ended with 9999 for military Lugers and the suffix letter was how they distinguished what in what lot number they were produced...along with the year of production over the chamber and the makers mark on the toggle...

doing the numbering the way you have described it would severely limit the number of pistols that could be produced and would be a nightmare of coordinating the various producers so that the correct suffix was being used.

Unread 05-09-2003, 03:59 PM   #7
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts
Hi Ron,

The individual that told you that was misinformed or made it up. If that was true, you would never see a letter beyond "l", and there are lots of Lugers out there sometimes with letters clear up to "z". The small letter just indicates an increment of 10,000. So if you see a Luger with, for example, a serial number of 8875c, it actually equates to 38,875. Serial numbering started with 1 at the beginning of a model year and were numbered up to 9999 (sometimes 10000)then it started back at 1a and progressed trough the alphabet as far as the number of Lugers produced that year required. The process of starting at 1 was repeated again the next year. This applies to military Lugers. Commercial Lugers were sequentially numbered without the small letter.

Regards
Ron Wood

Sorry, I jumped in there and before I got my answer completed, John had already taken care of it. Apologies
Unread 05-09-2003, 04:02 PM   #8
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Ron, I guess I beat you to the send reply button by a few microseconds!

No apologies are necessary...

Unread 05-11-2003, 02:45 PM   #9
Ronald Welch
User

Ron & John
Thanks so much for answering my question
We should have a Luger forum weekend and every one could bring a Luger, and we could have learning workshops and just have a great time.It would be great to meet you.
Ron Welch
Ronald Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2003, 03:30 PM   #10
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts
Ron, since we live so far away, we can still do the same type of thing, just not as fun.

If every reader chose one of their Lugers, researched it, then wrote it up here in the appropriate section, it would be very informative! Just start a thread, and post your findings. Even an "average" Luger has a story. Research it, write it up and share pictures. Does not have to go into huge detail, just explain the basics of your Luger, its year of manufacture, who, how many were made, special proofs or markings on it, etc.

On a side note, I am always amazed when I see a very vague question, wanting some information on the board. It is as if they want us to guess what they want?

Ask, just ask the question, but put some detail into the question, so we know what you need to know. Everyone wants a three paragraph reply to their question, well give us a good basis to reply back.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote