LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 08-24-2017, 11:00 PM   #1
ttarp
User

Default New member here

Since I first took interest in firearms, I've had a growing interest in Lugers, for their historical significance, and unique action.

I ended up purchasing a .22 Stoeger Luger from a family member which contrary to what I hear about them shoots quite well and is probably the most accurate .22 pistol I own. Then I started looking at the Erma .22's, and bought one of the scaled down KPG69's off an auction site which so far has also proven to be a another fun and reliable shooter.

However, while I really get a kick out of the pot metal .22 imitations, instead of sating my desire for a Luger, they've simply made it worse. So I've started looking for a non collectable shooter that I wouldn't have to worry about devaluing through regular range trips and handling.

Is there anything specific I should be looking for, or to avoid in a shooter grade Luger?

I apologize for the long post, thanks to those who took the time to read it, and for any advice given.

George
ttarp is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to ttarp for your post:
Unread 08-24-2017, 11:52 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

welcome

If wanting a shooter, do ask if they have shot it. If someone says they have one they have shot many times and its a good shooter for sale, then you probably should grab it up. I've picked up a mixed parts gun and being mixed parts, it may or may not function well. Although a parts gun may shoot really well, if you find a reblued but matching gun, then it at least it likely left the factory with its original parts and was fitted to them.

I say that and I have sold a number of shooter grade lugers that I had only test fired.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2017, 12:09 AM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi George and welcome to the forum.

Do download a copy of our FAQ document. It has quite a bit of useful reference material collected over the years at this forum.

If you want a shooter Luger, look for something that was properly assembled by a qualified person familiar with Lugers and their action. This could be a factory gun with finish issues, or a properly fitted gun with mixed parts.

Make sure that it actually does function properly.

You may find some available that have been Russian Capture and armory refitted. Many of these can be good shooters.

My shooter is an all matching Mauser 1937 vintage Luger with finish issues. I like the later Mauser pistols for shooting.

You'll want a 9mm pistol since .30 Luger is more expensive to shoot.

Marc
Unread 08-25-2017, 12:52 AM   #4
RShaw
User

Hi George! And welcome
You've come to the right place for learning more about Lugers of all types.... the experts here have a wealth of knowledge and experience second to none. Only thing I would add to the above is to take your time looking, enjoy the process and the search, ask questions, and, if possible, post photos here of a gun you are thinking about before you "take the plunge." There is a wealth of YouTube videos available, and many posts and threads here which have lots of Know-how and valuable information.

A general price range for a reliable shooter with minimal pitting and finish issues would be between $700 and $1000. (I assume a shooter to be reblued with this comment on finish.) Please, experts out there, correct me if needed!

Hope to hear from you soon!

Looking for magazine no. 7097
Venlo, the Netherlands- RShaw
RShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2017, 05:00 AM   #5
Eugen
User

Smile

George, welcome to the forum. I also have an ERMA, a KPG68a (32cal), that is a sweet little pocket 'Luger' that I love to shoot. Several folks on this forum own ERMAs. Cool little guns.

Review the FAQ section as it is really a Luger primer and many of your questions will be answered. As you already experienced, once you buy a Luger, or even the toggle action look-a-likes, you will want more. These things are addictive.

Keep us posted.
Unread 08-25-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

You will always love your first luger love!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2017, 12:15 PM   #7
Curly1
User

Welcome to the forum.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2017, 08:23 PM   #8
ttarp
User

I appreciate the welcome, I have checked out the FAQ, very useful, and put together well.

My initial thought was to find a mixed parts gun, until I started reading here it didn't occur to me that non matching pistols would be more likely to have functioning issues(that should have been obvious to me). I understand that an all matching pistol loses quite a bit of value from being refinished, but does a refinish really relegate it to a shooter to be used and abused?

I've been watching what appears to be a matching chromed BYF 41 thats been relisted 3-4 times, I lost track. Judging from the lack of interest I thought the $1000 price tag might be a bit much, but its still kind of tempting because I wouldn't end up in a bidding war.

Initially I had no interest in a .30 Luger, but if/when I get a 9mm, it might be fun to have both to compare.
Unread 08-25-2017, 09:35 PM   #9
RShaw
User

Collectors are, in general, looking for pieces "as close to original factory condition as possible."
A "refinish" is, by that definition, a major departure from, "original factory," rendering the prices of some beautiful guns far more affordable for the shooting enthusiasts who would hopefully "use" more than "abuse."

That matching chromed byf41 sounds like it might become your first Luger!! Since you know it's been relisted a few times, why not start with a bid of $800 or so? Are you convinced the seller is reliable? The .30's are a bit more expensive to shoot though..... in that regard, the 9 mm's are better.....

Funny thing about Lugers- they have a "magnetism" which I have not seen in quite the same way as with other firearms.....

Yes... please keep us posted

Unread 08-25-2017, 09:50 PM   #10
alvin
User

$1000 byf 41,,, is probably a reblued. In most cases, sellers know their items better than remote buyers. The pricing is usually not random. But God knows, could it be "widow sale"? Unlikely though, deal usually goes long time collectors. New collectors in a domain commonly reject original as reblued, and buy reblued as original, seldom find deep discount. That's not unusual.

Assume it's reblued, $1000, buy one and shoot it occasionally. Not a big deal. Even if it's original, so what, people buying $1000 modern gun for shooting, nothing wrong with that.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2017, 10:04 PM   #11
RShaw
User

Good point!
A Smith & Wesson Model 41 goes for an incredible €1895 NIB!
They're beautiful firearms but people pay that price purely for shooting- one of the best target 0.22's ever made! Mine was built in 1980... I've put now > 1000 rounds through her.... no problems at all...

The following 2 members says Thank You to RShaw for your post:
Unread 08-26-2017, 12:17 AM   #12
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Welcome George,

A .30 Luger will be a bit more than twice as expensive to feed than a 9mm. Reloading the .30 Luger round is one way to economize. If these concerns are not very weighty in relation to how much you would be shooting it, don't dismiss one automatically. They are more enjoyable to shoot than the 9mm IMHO--maybe not 2X more fun (which would completely justify the higher price), but darned close to it!
Unread 08-26-2017, 07:48 AM   #13
Genghis Khan
User

My first was a mismatch. The entire toggle assembly was from one gun and the frame was another. It had some rust on one side which I had to remove. The gun functions flawlessly. I imagine someone at some point put some work into it to make it function.
Genghis Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #14
RShaw
User

Sounds like your mismatch was a great buy- reliable to shoot, great fun, and no worries about breaking a numbered part in a collector)
You still have your first??
Unread 09-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #15
ttarp
User

So after doing some reading, I'm thinking about getting an Interarms in 9mm to start with. A couple of older threads mentioned $1,000 to $1,500 as a fair price for these pistols, is that still reasonably accurate?
Unread 09-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #16
RShaw
User

Hi ttarp,
$1000 to $1500 seems a bit steep for a shooter, unless it is all matching (therefore should function very well) is reblued (but that's OK for a shooter) and has minimal pitting, a good bore and grips with minimal wear.

This from a person who considers himself familar with these guns, but by no means an expert. I have one collector Luger and one shooter.

Experts out there... if I am way off, please let me know! Thanks.

Unread 09-12-2017, 01:58 PM   #17
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Yes - $1000 and up is reasonable, and the Interarms pistols are very well made. They come in a number of patterns and in 9mm as well as 7.65mm Luger.

A shooter grade Interarms Luger should be at the lower range you quoted. The magazines and grips do not interchange with military pistols so make sure all the accessories you need are included.

Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 09-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #18
4 Scale
User

I wanted a Luger for a long time, and purchased a Ruger Standard .22 because it sort of looked like a Luger. I call it "the poor man's Luger". While I enjoy the Ruger and still have it, it just made me want the real deal even more.

I looked hard at the post-WWII Interarms/Mausers but decided to get an original Luger as a shooter, as the price is about the same. I wound up with a WWII era military Mauser shooter. Unless you feel a pull for a different era, I think that is the best way for most new collectors to go.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 09-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #19
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttarp View Post
So after doing some reading, I'm thinking about getting an Interarms in 9mm to start with. A couple of older threads mentioned $1,000 to $1,500 as a fair price for these pistols, is that still reasonably accurate?
Where the heck is the "golden triangle"?

If you put your state, there may be a member around with something you could look at/buy.

I know one with an Interarms mauser luger for sale.
Unread 09-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #20
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
Yes - $1000 and up is reasonable, and the Interarms pistols are very well made. They come in a number of patterns and in 9mm as well as 7.65mm Luger.

A shooter grade Interarms Luger should be at the lower range you quoted. The magazines and grips do not interchange with military pistols so make sure all the accessories you need are included.

Marc
I'll agree with the price range, but differ on the mag interchangeability. The Mauser mags are very good, with a nice, beefy spring, although the plastic bottoms are a bit vulnerable from what I hear. Interchanging mags should be no problem. Military, Commercial, MecGar, Mauser, and Erma should all swap out just fine. The stainless steel, '90s Lugers made by Aimco in Houston have slightly larger mag wells, so mags for them often do not fit at all. I have one Mauser mag, but reserve it and shoot my Mauser Parabellum with MecGars.

Grips for the 70s Parabellums are generally interchangeable with originals, but within the two separate configurations (there are two frame styles--Swiss, with the straight front, and P.08. Grips). Some fitting may be required...