LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Announcements & Help > Site Technical Help or Site Feedback

Unread 07-09-2003, 02:47 PM   #1
Strider
User

Post Update New Post Indicators

John D. and John S.
I was wondering if it were possible to add the Update New Post Indicators option to the main page of the discussion forum instead of having it under the my profile section. If I have been on for a while I usually go there to update new messages. I just thought that it would be a little more convienent for everyone if they use this feature. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Patience is a bitter plant, but it has sweet fruit.
~German Proverb

If it is made before 1930 ..........It is a prototype.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2003, 03:47 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Personally I think that the new post indicators should update every time you visit the main discussion page... but I don't know if John D. can cause that to happen or not, or move the Update New Post link to the main page without a lot of serious programming.

How about it John D. ??

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2003, 03:54 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts
Other options I have played with: On gun boards once you "visit" a main page, it no longer shows up as "unread". Down side to that is that if I am using the other computer, to "re-set" it, I am forced to click on each main page. So by being "able" to Update New Post Indicators is very nice.

But then, whatever we get used to.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2003, 04:03 PM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I try to review EVERY post made on the forum... not always possible but I try... splitting my access between two computers complicates the issue but once I am "current" on posts since my last check-in, then I try only to visit the "today's active topics" page when I check later in at home to save time, otherwise all posts made since my last check-in at home are marked as unread even though I read them earlier on the other computer...

It is confusing sometimes... but that is the reason that each forum has it's own moderators... so I don't have to carry the whole load.

Thanks for the help guys!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
Unread 07-09-2003, 05:14 PM   #5
Strider
User

Hi John,
The page does update with each new visit. I figure it would be helpful if you have been away for a while and have a lot reading to catch up on. That is usually the case for me on Monday's. I do not get to join everyone hear on the weekends and spend my lunch hour trying to catch up with everyone. On those occassions many folks will post responses that sometimes are not picked up right away. Just an idea I thought I would share. Like Ed said whatever we get used to. Thanks.

Patience is a bitter plant, but it has sweet fruit.
~German Proverb

If it is made before 1930 ..........It is a prototype.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2003, 05:22 PM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

The page does not update with each new visit Unless you have had a period where no web browser was open since your last visit.

If you have had multiple browsers open during and since your visit, the new post indicators don't update... at least for me. I have to force a refresh to flush the cache to get them to uppdate in that case.