LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 10-30-2017, 11:16 AM   #21
milesc2
User

If I had the funds I would love to get one of these cases made in Kansas City. The company's name is Huey Cases.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOROCCO-LEA...kAAOxyzHxRNso9

They also make a carbine case:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOROCCO-LEA...4AAOxyXtFRIagw
milesc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2017, 11:24 AM   #22
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

I liked milesc2's idea of using an existing attache case rather than the metal specialty cases. The metal cases stand out in a crowd; a briefcase is pretty much invisible (everybody carries them, paperwork inside, not really worth stealing) whereas the metal cases fairly scream "expensive tool!".

I once saw a case for carrying some kind of musical instrument that had a large bell shaped bulge on each side. It was the size of a briefcase but was obviously for a horn of some kind. Being as I am musically-impaired I have no idea what kind of horn it was. Evidently not a trumpet as none of the trumpet cases I see on eBay have the bulges.

I'm looking at a firly cheap attache case on eBay now, brown or black, locking, 17 1/2" x 13" x 4" [interior]. I may buy that if I can't find a bulgy horn case.

I don't think many thieves would steal a horn...Not in my city...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2017, 12:17 PM   #23
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

If you are carrying to a shooting range, I don't see what difference the appearance of the box makes!
Transporting somewhere else- I see the point.

A horn case would be readily identifiable and horns are expensive, and easy to pawn- I'd think a target for a thief, JMHO. And why would you want "bulges"? They would not lay flat when opened?
Unread 10-30-2017, 01:10 PM   #24
Rick W.
User

I reckon there are similarities with some cases, presentation and range, but also differences. Like usual, context and environment is everything.

I normally think of presentation type cases are used by the guys for long term storage really; and showing off in special occasions. Yet, most are placed in a large metal box and not looked at for decades. Some factory boxes have foam, just look at a Python sillywet. Yeah, I know about maintenance, but know that the decades happen. To me foam or styro in this context is not my choice, just my opinion. Sometimes one sees nickeled pistols stored in soft zipper foam type cases, with material interiors, that will frost a nickeled(removable so far here) gun in a few months. So there must be something going on, when I put an old work sock over the nickeled guns, no more frost. So still some puzzles to this layman.

A range case, one sees cutout foam(hard and soft type foams) used all over the place. I personally feel these are not intended for long term storage. I have failed miserably a time or two by leaving firearms in the nice fitted foam case, it was convenient; and I paid the piper a few years later. Such a nice cheapo case, nothing rattles around, looks nice................but I had to learn a hard lesson in long term storage.

So perhaps there is a point of context, long term versus short term storage. The problem with this user is remembering about long term.......... OH, yeah, that reminds me, that old black plastic case has a shotgun in it; put in there years ago.

Years ago there was quite a bit of discussion on cases of all types, glad to see that happen some more; always something to learn from the posters here.

I might add that the first pistol case looks very similar to an early commercial case to me in style/color..........nice.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Rick W. for your post:
Unread 10-30-2017, 02:29 PM   #25
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

I would not store a firearm in a case of any type; a case is for transport not storage, JMHO.

Store your pistols "naked" in a safe with controlled humidity.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post: