LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 08-27-2003, 06:27 AM   #1
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Post Interarms Mauser Parabellum Construction

Are the forward toggle link (730 190) and the recoil lever (730 127) on this pistol forged or cast? The longitudinal seams on these parts suggest that their manufacture technique is anything but machined from bar stock.

Is it normal for the Interarms Mauser magazines to grip the top cartridge very tightly?
Unread 08-27-2003, 09:31 AM   #2
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Michael, As with most modern pistols, these parts were cast and then machined. Only the barrels were machined out of bar stock. If someone out there has scanning capabilities and a copy of John Walter's book "Luger" perhaps they will scan page 134 which illustrates the various stages of manufacture. TH
Unread 08-27-2003, 12:00 PM   #3
Sieger
User

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Michael Zeleny:

Is it normal for the Interarms Mauser magazines to grip the top cartridge very tightly?[/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Dear Mike:

Help me understand "grip". Is it the fact that the magazine spring is so strong as to force the cartridge up against the lips very tightly?

A very common Luger feeding problem is caused by cartridges with OALs that are too short to properly feed from the magazine. This canting downward of the upper cartridges in the magazine can cause binding, and thus, jamming, usually of the upper three cartridges.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 02:08 PM   #4
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Yecch. I was hoping for machined forgings. Still, Martin Retting has waranted the gun for a year, so I might as well try to break the action with factory loads.

One of the magazines has problems getting the top cartridge to the feed lips, notwithstanding the seemingly adequate spring rate. However everything settles in under recoil.
Unread 08-27-2003, 05:12 PM   #5
Sieger
User

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Michael Zeleny:
<strong>Yecch. I was hoping for machined forgings. Still, Martin Retting has warranted the gun for a year, so I might as well try to break the action with factory loads.

One of the magazines has problems getting the top cartridge to the feed lips, notwithstanding the seemingly adequate spring rate. However everything settles in under recoil.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Dear Mike:

I wouldn't worry about the pistol not holding up under any factory load, as most major firearms today, both rifles and pistols, are made from investment castings.

The magazine problem sounds a little unusual. Does the other magazine feed properly?

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 05:29 PM   #6
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Dear Bob, -- thanks for the reassurance, but I belong to the school that insists on traditional sidearms of traditional construction. This was supposed to be an interim replacement of my P210-2, presumptively lost to the vagaries of our judicial system. (I was found innocent; not so the handgun.) There is no substitute for that milled out of solid bar stock tactile feel.

Both magazines feed and extract fine. The problem is with ejection and last shot lockup.