LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Unit Markings

Unread 10-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
Sky Zero
User

Default Couple of marking questions

Ok so I have a byf 41 luger and Ive been reading on this website's technical information section and it looks like the 2 stamped marks just before the barrel have 655 and 656 stamped below the eagle. The information page (I think) says this was a dutch contract luger if it had those numbers below the eagle? The page just had 655 and not 656; mine have both). Do all other byf 41 lugers have these same markings? Also, what is the eagle clutching on the far right? I can't make out what it is.

And for the last picture, there's no markings other than the serial codes in this area... is that normal or am I missing a stamp? Also, what's the 2 stamps on the barrels usually clutching? Thanks guys!

Sky Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

The E/655 stamp was marked on the pistol as part of the German military proof and acceptance process. It's not likely it's a Dutch pistol in any way, especially as Germany was occupying Holland during that year.

It is associated with a specific inspector sent by the German weapons inspection office to Mauser's factory in Oberndorf in 1939. Toward the end of 1941, this inspector was replaced with one that was assigned the E/135 stamp.

It is E/655 not 656. Probably just a deep stamping or a damaged die.

The last test proof is an eagle clutching a swastika.

These WaffenAmt (weapons inspection office) die stamps were made in sets that the inspector was responsible for. He had a staff of employees at the factories that actually used the stamps to mark acceptable weapons.

The markings on the left of your pistol are normal for a German military accepted pistol.

Looks to be a nice one!

Marc
Unread 10-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Sky Zero
User

Oh great info! I've seen the e/655 before but I didn't know what it meant when I was reading other threads so I guess I just didn't think about it hard enough! Thanks for the info!

Yeah the pictures are pretty close to the gun so every little detail shows but if you look at the luger with your own eyes, you'll see it's in amazing shape! At least I think so, comparing mine to many of the other lugers out there that have huge rust spots on them, nicks, scratches, etc. The thing cost me $2k.
Sky Zero is offline   Reply With Quote