LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 02-01-2005, 11:15 PM   #1
southriv
User

Default Range Report P08 vs P38

I just started collecting again last year. In the past Iâ??ve had Lugers and P38s, but have not shot one in 30 years. Anyway, I went to the range yesterday to try out and compare my Luger shooter and a WWII P38 that I picked up at a show.

Hereâ??s what I used:

My Luger shooter is a 1915 DWM with a mismatched toggle. It has an excellent bore with no pitting â?? just a little frosty. It has not been misused and functions flawlessly.

The P38 is a 1943BYF. Hardly used with a mirror bore.

I warmed up with 100 rounds through a Series 80 Gold Cup.

Now, the targets were only 35 feet away in an indoor range. I have some trouble at this range because of the weak lighting and my weak eyes. I can see distance, but not close up. I shoot with weak reading glasses so I can see the sights â?? though the target is somewhat blurry. I used 115 gr Winchester FMJ. Now, keep in mind that I have never shot these pistols before (or anything like them for 30 years). The under 2â? group is 8 shots with the P38. The wider spread is 6 shots with the Luger. I did like the sights better on the P38. Anyway, 200 rounds later with both of these and I was still shooting better with the P38.

Now, everything I read says the P38 is extremely inaccurate compared to the P08. I have to admit, before I brought the first target back from the P38. I thought I missed the paper altogether â?? and then I saw the hole in the middle. Someone had even drifted the front sight over by a little more than 1/32â? I was going to correct it - maybe not!

So, thought this may be of interest and would generate some comments, observations from those better acquainted with these pistols than I am.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tar1.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	111  

southriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2005, 12:33 AM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Bob,

Curious to know more information. Combat stance, two-hand, off-hand,...??

You've noted a difference in the sights, that you "liked" the P-38 better, what is your critical response to them?

What are your comments about the trigger pull of the Luger? The P-08 grouping indicates a trigger consideration.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2005, 08:13 AM   #3
Ron Smith
User

Hi Bob,
Your discription of the using reading glasses sounds familiar. Fits me to a T. I have one P.38 left. A CYQ in very nice condition. It is a tackdriver.
I have convinced a lot of non-believer Glock shooters with it. My made up Navy S/42 shooter with the butt stock, will get your attention out to 200 yds.
I destroyed a gallon milk jug with it at that distance. It really draws a crowd.

Pretty good shootin' for an old blind guy, Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2005, 09:57 AM   #4
southriv
User

Yup, that's me - blind as a bat.

Dwight, Im shooting two handed. I find the P38 sights easier to center and aquire. I think this is partially because they present a larger image. The P08 sfront sight is needle - like and I am less certain of what I am seeing - paricularly when reacquiring the target. Perhaps the P38 sights are a more like the Bomars & Ellisons I'm used to - square. Trigger pull is a good guestion - both have considerable slack and the pull is smoother on the P38.

Bob
Unread 02-02-2005, 09:58 AM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

While I don't keep targets, my experience has been exactly the opposite of yours... P-08's always seem to fare better on the range than P-38's for me... and I have shot a bunch of different ones in 40 plus years of shooting.

If your P-38 performs that well for you, DON'T ever sell it... it's a keeper.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2005, 10:46 AM   #6
southriv
User

30 years ago I had an Interarms P38 that I could not hit a thing with - so I sold it for $100.00.

Bob
Unread 02-02-2005, 11:13 AM   #7
Tanker
New User

I wish I would have known, I'd have given you a $110.
Tanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2005, 10:31 PM   #8
kidvett
User

Default Accuracy ??

Hello Bob,

Range testing I did last year with a favorite of mine ( 30 Cal 5 in bbl. ) Handloaded ammo, sandbagged.......1 1/2 in for 3 shots at 100 yds.

NO P38 can give that accuracy !!

MARK
kidvett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2005, 11:23 PM   #9
southriv
User

Mark, Nice work. I hear the 7.65 is fast and flat - shooting. This spring I think I'll give my .30 a try. What are you using fo ammo? - Fiocchi?

Bob
Unread 02-03-2005, 01:07 AM   #10
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts

Geeze Mark, Nice group but you missed the target! Bob put em in the black.....Nice shooting both of you! Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2005, 01:05 PM   #11
Sieger
User

Default Luger vs Walther

Hi:

I've been shooting a BYF 43 P-38 since 1967. It is in unfired condition. I can't keep a group in less than 2 inches or so at 25 yards.

With my BYF 41 Luger, I have shot groups with 7 or 8 touching at 25 yards.

To me, the P-38's lock-up is sloppy compared to the Luger's.

If I had to choose between them (for combat useage only), I'd choose the P-38, because it is double action and isn't as picky about its ammo.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2005, 04:45 PM   #12
kidvett
User

Default P08

Bob,

This specific pistol is my FAVORITE shooter.....VERY accurate !!

Ammo is hanloaded: 90gr Hornady XTP, 7.3gr Blue Dot, WLP & W-W brass.

Jerry,

Yes I missed at 300+ feet........Bob's shooting at 35 feet !!

The day I did this group is to be remembered........``Who shoots handguns at 100 yards ?? Especially an old gun like that !! ``......statements made by the rifle shooters that day at the range BEFORE I brought the target back.........At that point few were talking & everybody wanted to have a look at THAT pistol !!

A Praise to GL great design.........

MARK
Unread 02-03-2005, 11:45 PM   #13

Mark,

Nice shooting. I've had a few interesting contests at 100 yards with hotshot rifle shooters using either a tight .45 or my .44 magnum. You will find most once a year hunters talk a lot but cant shoot worth beans without a sandbag rest. When one of these guys is really mouthing off they are easily challenged to a contest against a handgun. When they get out their sandbags, merely ask "Can't you stand up like a man and hold it with your two hands? That's what I'm going to do." It's really amazing how rattled they get, especially with their favorite scoped rifle trying to shoot offhand. I've beat a bunch of them with one shot contests. Great fun and they never live it down.
Unread 02-04-2005, 11:14 AM   #14
unspellable
User

Default Handgun vs rifle

I've done this too. Happened the day before opening in camp. They all laughed at me when I said I'd take my revolver and leave the rifle at home. My iron sighted S&W M29 against a scoped 30-06. Five shot groups at 100 yards. I won the beer.

But I went one better. Opening day I made a 50 yard down hill shot at a javalina running cross wise to the line of fire. Bullet went between two ribs, through the gristle on the top of the heart, and out between two ribs. The javalina folded within three feet and I didn't spoil more than two ounces of meat. he dressed out to a nice size. The other guys had nothing to show.

It don't get any better!
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2005, 02:07 PM   #15
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

A six inch group of 3 shots on a military known distance range of 100 yards using a .44 caliber AutoMag pistol won me lunch one afternoon in 1976. They all laughed until the guy on the spotting scope called the first shot as in the black on a 25 yard pistol target... the other two shots were on the paper but not in the black... but I didn't care... I haven't fired that gun for about 15 years... maybe I ought to drag it out of the safe this weekend and dust it off... it is quite a flamethrower with 22 grains of 2400 behind a 240 grain semi-wadcutter....

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2005, 10:06 PM   #16
trigger643
User

My club recently had an article about the pistol brass showing up on the rifle range and visa vi. I'd thought about halfway admitting it was me at the last meeting by bringing my stocked C/96-16 and Type 56-S underfolder on "bring your favorite gun night"... but I brought Ed Tinker and a 1911 instead. We often shoot our .45's and 9mm's out to 200 yards for grins. By the way, Ed's pimpin' LP08 was the hit of the meeting. There's something about an Honest GI bring back from the red light district that attracks attention and even envy...

trigger643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2005, 11:58 PM   #17

John,

My old favorite was a flattop Ruger .44 mag with a 5 1/2" barrel. Great 100 yard target gun with about a 2# trigger set up by a previous owner. I used 21 grains of 2400 and 240 grain cast bullets. Sadly, I sold that gun in a fit of stupidity when I quit hunting after most of my shooting buddies moved away. When I moved to FL 11 years ago and saw the size of the varments in the water here I bought a SS Ruger 4 5/8" .44 mag. for a boat gun(remember my underwater shooting questions?). It seems to group like the other one but I'm too lazy to walk 100 yards too many times. Shoots 1" groups at 25 yards. Anybody for a contest in FL? Jamese, what are you up to these days?
Unread 02-06-2005, 12:12 AM   #18
kidvett
User

John,

You are the very lucky owner of a 44 AMP ?? I've always wanted one.........

MARK