LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 01-04-2022, 08:12 PM   #21
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,579 Times in 988 Posts
Default Not Blazer

Hi Storm, not Blazer,....... underpowered, constant jams and failures, use WW whie box target 115 gr. ball to trouble shoot... other ammo when your Luger is runnig 100% on WW white box... best, til...lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 01-04-2022, 08:17 PM   #22
Storm
User

I can't seem to find it anywhere local, I'll look online for some. Do they have it in 124g or is it that much better than all the other stuff out there? I've read the original 9mm that was used on the P08 was slightly longer & close to 124g.
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2022, 08:52 PM   #23
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Hi Storm

It will probably have to be ordered, I'm not too savey on all the balistic chatter, some of the forum members here are re-loading champions and they custom taylor their loads to their Lugers demands. My knowledge on the WW White box 115 gr. ammo come strickly from the range, and I would bet I've shot as much 9MM down range as any other member, the WW White box was strong enough, correst pressures, and correct overal length that it became my default test ammo, and it hasn't dissapointed me yet? Sometime you need to eliminate certain variables so you are testing the pistol, not yourself, or not the ammo. So, I use only one ammo to test, and all the others to plink and play! Now, it may be a different ammo for your Luger, Federal, PMC or the like, but I don't think it will ever be the Blazer ammo? My substitue standard ammo is Federal 124 grain ball... seems to work the same as the WW White box, although I've used far less and won't make any claims for it right now?.. Best to you, til...lat'r....GT...
Unread 01-04-2022, 08:57 PM   #24
Storm
User

Thanks for the reply, I found it online. I found 1000 rounds for 350 & figured why not get it as I have a few other 9mm guns it will work though.
Unread 01-04-2022, 09:14 PM   #25
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Hi Storm

wow, that's cheap for todays prices! Maybe things are getting better?... best, GT
BTW, Next little bit of info. to help trouble shoot, get a new Mec-Gar magazine... Then we are dealing with just the gun... more as you test and report... best, til....lat'r...GT
Unread 01-04-2022, 09:26 PM   #26
Storm
User

Only issue with looking for a Mec-Gar magazine, can't find one anywhere.... Ugh... Figures Repro Luger magazines are impossible to find..
Unread 01-04-2022, 11:43 PM   #27
HerrKaiser
User

I’ve had a fair amount of luck going to larger gun stores and finding a few Mec Gar mags for sale on the shelves and hooks. Not sure if that is an option for you.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2022, 12:00 AM   #28
Storm
User

The only close ones are fin feather & fur. Every other one is a local gun store. I'll start calling around!

Worst case, if anyone has a spare they be willing to part with I'd happily pay for it!
Unread 01-05-2022, 09:11 AM   #29
Batty67
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
Only issue with looking for a Mec-Gar magazine, can't find one anywhere.... Ugh... Figures Repro Luger magazines are impossible to find..
I found 3 NIB Mec-Gar mags at a very large gunshow...after finding NADA online (been there, felt that unpleasantness). And he had 4-5 more, I picked up two nickle ($40 each) and one blue ($35). Another magazine dealer had a few but they were used for similar prices. I was tempted to pick up 4-5 NIB ones to sell or trade...

So, try a large gunshow...?
Batty67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2022, 05:55 PM   #30
Storm
User

I'll look at the Yankee Lake Gun show although, most of the guns are new there.

Also is this gap normal for a magazine?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220105_165328.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	84639  

Unread 01-05-2022, 06:00 PM   #31
HerrKaiser
User

In my experiences, yes there is sometimes a gap between the button/tabs and the frame. As Long as the Magazine catch engages and it doesn’t fall out, no issue.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2022, 06:13 PM   #32
Storm
User

Copy, that. So it does catch & release without issue. The hold open works now after carefully stretching the magazine spring. I have ordered a wolf spring kit in case any of the springs need replacing.

As of now my issue still is the next round not being picked up. It ejects fine, just doesn't feed. My WWB is one the way. I seemed to have ordered 124g but I'm sure the ammo being WWB it will still be the gold standard.

A sidenote, I did have one round chamber after firing one, that was the first time it ran properly since on my first try by holding the magazine up, but that was a different magazine.

I'll continue updates as more items arrive in the mail.

I do not plan on changing any springs unless that could be an issue after testing WWB ammo
Unread 01-05-2022, 06:45 PM   #33
Batty67
User

Storm, I can sell you my NIB blued Mec-Gar magazine for what I paid for it + S&H. The show I picked one up at comes into town every other month so I can always get more later (for you and me).

gvkeitz@hotmail.com
Batty67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Batty67 for your post:
Unread 01-05-2022, 06:50 PM   #34
Storm
User

Emailed, thanks
Unread 01-05-2022, 08:32 PM   #35
Storm
User

I double checked, I sent it to what you have listed above.
It should be from stormsclassicfirearms. That's my work email. Odd as it shows it sent....
Unread 01-06-2022, 09:16 PM   #36
Storm
User

I received another WW1 era wooden bottom. So this takes me to 3 wooden bottoms (one broken) & 1 Erma bakelite bottom. I have a Mec-gar one the way from a fellow Luger user. All of the original magazines are locking the action open when empty. All of them feed properly if manually cycling the action & holds open. Each of the magazines also lock in properly.

Now I have used 115g SIG 365 Elite Performance & 124g Blazer with no luck. 9/10 times it fires, ejects but doesn't pick up the next round. I have held the magazine up with my support hand & it seemed to cycle consistently, but didn't do enough testing that way. This makes me wonder if the magazines aren't sitting up high enough, although if it goes any higher it seems it would hit the edge of the magazine lip.

So until my Mec-Gar arrives as well as my 124g WWB & a wolf spring kit, I'm stuck thinking this over.

Could this be an issue with the mainspring or any of his springy friends?
Unread 01-08-2022, 01:45 PM   #37
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,315 Posts

As noted above, the mag catch does half the job of holding the mag in correct position when it's clicked into place. I can't tell the condition of the catch from the pic, so will again suggest checking it for wear. That a mag can be pushed up farther after it's clicked in is the main clue.
Unread 01-08-2022, 03:40 PM   #38
Storm
User

After a Mec-Gar magazine arrived today, I was able to use the gun flawlessly! Ran the 115g SIG & 124g Blazer. So I'm guessing my original magazines need new springs!

I did order a magazine catch just in case but I'm sure it's good to have spare parts.

I will update as time goes by. I just need to hunt down more Mec-Gar magazines.
The following 2 members says Thank You to Storm for your post:
Unread 01-10-2022, 12:36 PM   #39
Patrick Sweeney
User

And just as a point of interest, you are not helping (in fact, hurting things) by stretching the magazine spring. If it is out of oomph, then replace it, because stretching it just makes things worse.
Patrick Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Patrick Sweeney for your post:
Unread 01-10-2022, 12:48 PM   #40
Storm
User

Copy that, springs will be replaced. That was just a thought.