LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 09-06-2021, 04:09 PM   #21
Military Engineer
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
Hi Mark, it will be interesting to know what is causing the issue? BTW, I have a ton of toggle train parts should you need something to replace or even a part just to try... let us know... best, til...lat'r....GT
Actually...can I take you up on that offer? Be interesting to see if a different toggle train would make a difference. If it does, I can mic both of them and see just how much I need to modify mine BEFORE I start doing it. I'll send a PM.

Mark
Military Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2021, 04:25 PM   #22
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default remove hold open

For testing purposes, remove the hold open all together! It is not needed for any primary function?... best, GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 09-06-2021, 04:51 PM   #23
Military Engineer
User

Quote:
For testing purposes, remove the hold open all together! It is not needed for any primary function?... best, GT
I did already. When I was at the range, I removed it. Problem did not change one iota.
The following member says Thank You to Military Engineer for your post:
Unread 09-06-2021, 04:52 PM   #24
Military Engineer
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlim View Post
Swap out the L-shaped holdopen and see if it helps.
I did. There was no change. This was one of the first items I checked when the problem became rampant.

In case I never mentioned it, with no magazine installed in the pistol, I can pull the toggle back as if I'm cycling a round for shooting and the toggle will stick back. Just a thumb tap and it goes forward as normal. Does it with or without the hold open, so I know that isn't it. The problem is relatively recent, too, which is why I'm ordering new springs.

For anyone reading: I am ordering the multipack from Wolff, with the 36, 38, and 40# springs. Which is the one that is standard issue? It says 38# is the standard, but I figuered the more knowledgable here would know.
Unread 09-06-2021, 10:27 PM   #25
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default very rarely...

Hi Mark, I have seen, only once, where the ejector was hanging up on the corresponding groove in the breechblock, It wasn't locked all the way back, but was stuck pretty tightly most of the way back? remove the ejector and see if it affects the outcome?... best, GT
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 09-07-2021, 08:43 AM   #26
Proofed
User

Default mainspring

could the mainspring be broken ?
Proofed is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Proofed for your post:
Unread 09-07-2021, 10:59 AM   #27
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Just thought of it!

Something that could be the culprit that i haven't seen mentioned is the barrel flange could be interfering with the frame on the bottom of the chamber area in the front of the pistol? This is more likely to happen than one might think? It is very close tolerance and can be checked for very easily... best, til...lat'r....GT...

BTW, this is also the area that receives the most deformation during re-barreling and it could be a result of that type of operation?...
BTW squared, remember what I recently said about the cure being as far away from the problem as you can get! This could be one of those!!!
Unread 09-07-2021, 11:12 AM   #28
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,860 Times in 1,183 Posts

With most likely candidates ruled out, how about the S-shaped connecting hook being bent out of shape?
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 09-07-2021, 11:10 PM   #29
Military Engineer
User

Quote:
Hi Mark, I have seen, only once, where the ejector was hanging up on the corresponding groove in the breechblock, It wasn't locked all the way back, but was stuck pretty tightly most of the way back? remove the ejector and see if it affects the outcome?... best, GT
An interesting idea. Never considered it, figuring there was no way a part that small could do that. I will check that as well.
Unread 09-07-2021, 11:12 PM   #30
Military Engineer
User

Quote:
Something that could be the culprit that i haven't seen mentioned is the barrel flange could be interfering with the frame on the bottom of the chamber area in the front of the pistol? This is more likely to happen than one might think? It is very close tolerance and can be checked for very easily... best, til...lat'r....GT...

BTW, this is also the area that receives the most deformation during re-barreling and it could be a result of that type of operation?...
BTW squared, remember what I recently said about the cure being as far away from the problem as you can get! This could be one of those!!!
Possibly. That would seem to be related to fork misalignment, so I'll recheck that.
Unread 09-07-2021, 11:20 PM   #31
Military Engineer
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proofed View Post
could the mainspring be broken ?
No, but there are a number of people who are thinking that despite the age, the main spring may be weak and need replacement.

One thing, as I think about this, is that I haven't considered that the mainspring that was supposedly replaced could have been replaced with a weaker one than original. That could be why it looks new but is potentially failing. It is one explanation that would fit the circumstances. The exact same thing happened several years ago on my P226 when I replaced it with a spring that was 30% lighter than the original. It lasted a couple of years and one day, all of a sudden, stopped striking primers hard enough to ignite. So I'm going to wait and see when I get new springs.

There still feels like some sort of interference in the pulling of the toggle, so that has to be considered.
Unread 09-08-2021, 09:19 AM   #32
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,136 Times in 376 Posts

Quote:
With most likely candidates ruled out, how about the S-shaped connecting hook being bent out of shape?
Pointed that out in post 11. Folks seem to think it's the mainspring. What do I know?
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to gunbugs for your post:
Unread 09-08-2021, 09:37 AM   #33
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

The Luger action is finely balanced. There were a range of recoil springs used in the different models and eras of Lugers. The forum FAQ document has a copy of the table.

Recoil springs came in different wire thicknesses with different numbers of coils.

If you remove the recoil spring, you can manually operate the action and feel if it is binding at different points in it's cycle, and especially toward the end of it's movement. If there is no binding of any kind, look to the possibility of wear or deformation changing the geometry of the hooks or s link in the recoil spring linkage. Also check for wear of the frame where the axel pin rides.

Removal and installation of the recoil spring is a fairly specialized job. It takes a properly designed tool to actually do it without damaging the gun or yourself. Use great care... it's under fair compression.

Our FAQ is free and can be downloaded by following the FAQ link on every forum page.
The following 2 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 09-08-2021, 11:42 AM   #34
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,860 Times in 1,183 Posts

I would not expect a weak or strong mainspring to keep the toggle locked back. That's why I'm considering the linking mechanism (s-hook and lever) as most other causes have been ruled out.

But remote diagnosis is difficult.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 09-08-2021, 01:59 PM   #35
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default re-barrel issue

Hi Mark, in my previous post I mentioned that the receiver might be touching on the front of the frame, actually it occurs when the "New" barrels flange is a few thousands larger dia. then the receiver, and it can then drag or stick on the frame relief area?... best, GT
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 09-08-2021, 10:02 PM   #36
Military Engineer
User

Quote:
I would not expect a weak or strong mainspring to keep the toggle locked back. That's why I'm considering the linking mechanism (s-hook and lever) as most other causes have been ruled out.

But remote diagnosis is difficult.
I will need to check the blue prints I have, but in the event it does not have it, do you have the exact dimensions of the toggle link ("S" link)?
Unread 09-08-2021, 11:34 PM   #37
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default one coming

Hi Mark, I've included an "S" coupling link in with what i sent you... should arrive soon... best, til...lat'r...GT
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 09-10-2021, 09:01 AM   #38
4 Scale
User

Could you describe "the toggle sticks in the open bolt position" a little better? If by this description you mean the toggle only partially closes (does not fully return to battery), I have had this issue before on a couple shooters. I traced the problem to a defective extractor on one. On the other, the culprit was too-weak ammo.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 09-10-2021, 04:45 PM   #39
Heinz
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Scale View Post
Could you describe "the toggle sticks in the open bolt position" a little better? If by this description you mean the toggle only partially closes (does not fully return to battery), I have had this issue before on a couple shooters. I traced the problem to a defective extractor on one. On the other, the culprit was too-weak ammo.
See post 13. It sticks in the fully open position
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2021, 06:36 PM   #40
4 Scale
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
See post 13. It sticks in the fully open position
I did see that post, thank you. I also read post #23, that reports that with the hold open removed it 'stays the same'. A Luger that locks open with no hold-open I find astounding. I feel I have at least a working knowledge of Luger operation and can think of no scenario that would permit a Luger to lock open with no hold open present. Hence my request for a description of what exactly "sticks open" means.

I can't lose by asking this question. If the OP advises that indeed the pistol is locking open with no hold open in the gun, I will have learned something. If he advises the toggle is doing something short of locking open, we will have valuable clarification and be able to better assist.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post: