LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 06-13-2021, 11:15 AM   #1
Dubar
User

Default New Luger Owner Here!

Hi folks, just got my first Luger this past week and got permissions to post on the forum so here I am.

Always wanted a luger since I was a kid back in the 50s, had a toy luger that melted when I left it in the rear window of my dad's Buick during the summer

Dad was in the 9th Air Force in WW2 and mom was a Welsh nurse. All my uncles and my moms sister (also a nurse) were also in the war too so all things WW2 are kinda in my blood.

Anyway, spotted this luger on one of the auction sites and placed a bid, ended up winning the thing.

I know it's a mutt, but it's my mutt and the holy grail of firearms for me. I could buy a higher priced luger but just don't want to at this time, plus I wanted a shooter.

Here's the writeup that was posted on the auction site:

Fine condition WWII German Luger in 9mm that was made by Mauser and is coded "42" on the toggle with a "42" date on the chamber for 1942. Pistol is a renumbered matching import that shows likely police use with a sear safety. Gun is import marked under the barrel but does not seem to be a Russian Capture. Action is smooth and functions fine. Bore is bright with strong rifling and gun will make a fine shooter or for use by a reenactor. Metal finish is a full reblue with some handling wear. Checkered walnut grips have a good fit and no cracks or chips. Magazine is modern production and fits and functions fine. Tough to find a reasonable priced Luger these days that will work as an entry level collectable, for use at the range or for a carry and display gun for a reenactor.

Best I can determine it's a police luger, at least in part due to the sear safety. The stamp on the barrel appears to be some form of Berlin Police Armory Acceptance Stamp. It also has the GAI MIA FL import stamp on the underside of the barrel.

The bore looks fine to me, much better than the bore of some of my WW2 rifles that I have shot in the past 2 years (I've only really gotten into "acquiring firearms the past 3 years even though I've owned firearms for almost 60 years).

Thanks for letting join the forum, I need to do a lot of looking before I start asking questions and making comments.

Let me know what you think of my luger. I've done the tuning fork thing on the slide and it sounds perfect. I've had it apart down to removing the firing pin and all parts look good and well lubed. I bought 2 spare Mec-Gar mags, the mag that came with it only has "Made In Holland" stamped on it, nothing more.

Anything else I should look at before I shoot it? I've run several snap caps thru it and everything seems to function normally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0969.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	83366  

Name:	DSCN0970.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	83367  

Name:	DSCN0971.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	83368  

Name:	DSCN0972.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	83369  

Name:	DSCN0973.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	83370  

Name:	DSCN0975.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	83371  

Name:	DSCN0976.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	83372  

Name:	DSCN0975 (2).JPG
Views:	52
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	83373  

Name:	DSCN0976 (2).JPG
Views:	50
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	83374  

Dubar is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 9 members says Thank You to Dubar for your post:
Unread 06-13-2021, 11:56 AM   #2
Eugen
User

Smile

Congrats on your first Luger. Hopefully it will be an excellent shooter for you. Check out the forum's FAQ section as it is more of a tutorial. You'll find answers to your questions there, and more. Enjoy!
The following 4 members says Thank You to Eugen for your post:
Unread 06-13-2021, 12:17 PM   #3
Dubar
User

Thanks Eugen, like your cup!!!
The following member says Thank You to Dubar for your post:
Unread 06-13-2021, 01:55 PM   #4
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,586 Times in 517 Posts

You have an honest police Luger that was, at some point in time, repaired by an official facility as indicated by the mark (HZaJt18) on the sear bar, likely indicating replacement. The barrel was replaced, maybe at the same time as it has the bore diameter marking but isn't serial numbered to the gun. Between 1928 & 1934, Lugers that were rebarreled for police use were marked on the right side of the new barrel with "PTV" and an eagle. In 1934 that changed to "PT" and the eagle as on your Luger. The new barrel on yours was obviously installed after 1942.

IMO you've done well for your first - there WILL be more - Luger.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to Doubs for your post:
Unread 06-13-2021, 02:34 PM   #5
Dubar
User

Thanks Doubs! Aarron Davis' book "Standard Catalog Of Luger" shows the intertwined TP and refers to the Berlin Police Armory Acceptance Stamp starting around page 99-100 and several other places after that, but didn't show the eagle.

And thanks for clearing up the HZaJt18 stamp, couldn't hardly make that out.

The sear safety had me wondering...why would you remove the side plate while the gun is still loaded?!?!?! But then I read that sometimes you could push on the plate and make the gun go BANG.
The following 2 members says Thank You to Dubar for your post:
Unread 06-13-2021, 02:58 PM   #6
STEINBVG
User

Congrats. I,m also new to Lugers. Only have one.
Are you planning to shoot yours at all? regularly?Have you?
How does it perform?

Last edited by STEINBVG; 06-13-2021 at 04:00 PM.
STEINBVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2021, 03:06 PM   #7
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Congrats on your first Luger. It looks fine to me. Let us know how it performs at the range. Enjoy!!
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 06-13-2021, 03:26 PM   #8
Dubar
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEINBVG View Post
Congrats. I,m also new to Lugers. Only have one.
Are you planning to shoot yours at all? Have you?
How does it perform?
I plan on shooting it tomorrow, will let ya'll know how it goes.
Unread 06-13-2021, 03:55 PM   #9
gunnertwo
User

Congrats! The sales description you posted was accurate. I always appreciate an honest description when I'm making a purchase.

This won't be your last Parabellum.

G2
gunnertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to gunnertwo for your post:
Unread 06-13-2021, 09:30 PM   #10
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

to the Forum Dubar
You sure hit the gound running ... nice to see
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to spangy for your post:
Unread 06-14-2021, 10:31 AM   #11
jeb111
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Welcome to the world of Lugers! Your off to a great start and smart move joining the forum, this is invaluable to any Luger enthusiast. Good luck only getting one, just do your research because lessons can be expensive in our hobby! All the best!
Jim
jeb111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to jeb111 for your post:
Unread 06-14-2021, 11:26 AM   #12
Dubar
User

Thanks everyone!

I WAS going to shoot today, but I had eye surgery last week and yesterday had a problem with bleeding. I called the doctors office this morning and they said to come in. Ended up I have a mild infection so they've called in a prescription, had to cancel the range reservation as a result. maybe next week.

I haven't replaced anything on the gun, but have been thinking about getting a Wolff spring kit. Good idea or should I just wait until I shoot and see how it does?
Unread 06-14-2021, 11:28 AM   #13
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

More importantly, I think you should get an aftermarket magazine - MEC GAR are affordable and very reliable.

Also, go idea not to shoot until your eyes are healed up. Your Luger might not roar so much, but you never know when someone is going to unload his Tokarev or a 44 magnum next to you. My Dr suggested I wait a couple of months before resuming shooting after I got cataract surgery.
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2021, 11:50 AM   #14
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,579 Times in 988 Posts
Default Hi Dunbar

A little practical advice? Now that you've cleaned and (liberally) oiled your Luger, and are range ready, don't change anything.....yet!
To prepare to shoot, install an empty mag and lock the toggle back, remove the empty mag and replace it with a mag with ONE round in it! Drop the toggle train, make sure the safety is off and shoot it downrange. The empty should eject crisply (find it and inspect the primer for signs of piercing or over pressure?) Ok, if that all went fine, do the same procedure and load three rounds! If the Luger fires, feeds, and locks open you are good to go! IF, the toggle doesn't completely close on the next chambering round, only then start considering a new mainspring?....
The Luger is a real fun gun the shoot! Kind of snotty and snappy at the same time, nothing else like it!, best to you, til.....lat'r.....GT...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 06-14-2021, 12:52 PM   #15
Dubar
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Cat View Post
More importantly, I think you should get an aftermarket magazine - MEC GAR are affordable and very reliable.

Also, go idea not to shoot until your eyes are healed up. Your Luger might not roar so much, but you never know when someone is going to unload his Tokarev or a 44 magnum next to you. My Dr suggested I wait a couple of months before resuming shooting after I got cataract surgery.
Got 2 Mec-Gar mags last week.

Good idea about not shooting, didn't think about the concussive shock waves generated by the big calibers impacting my eye but I have felt that before.
Unread 06-14-2021, 12:55 PM   #16
Dubar
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
A little practical advice? Now that you've cleaned and (liberally) oiled your Luger, and are range ready, don't change anything.....yet!
To prepare to shoot, install an empty mag and lock the toggle back, remove the empty mag and replace it with a mag with ONE round in it! Drop the toggle train, make sure the safety is off and shoot it downrange. The empty should eject crisply (find it and inspect the primer for signs of piercing or over pressure?) Ok, if that all went fine, do the same procedure and load three rounds! If the Luger fires, feeds, and locks open you are good to go! IF, the toggle doesn't completely close on the next chambering round, only then start considering a new mainspring?....
The Luger is a real fun gun the shoot! Kind of snotty and snappy at the same time, nothing else like it!, best to you, til.....lat'r.....GT...
I'll give that a go, thanks! For what it cost, I did order the Wolff kit a little while ago, when it comes in I'll hang onto it until I see how the gun performs with what's in it.
Unread 06-14-2021, 06:59 PM   #17
jeb111
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Dubai, range reservations? Yuk, I am so spoiled living in WY I can go out my back door anytime I want. I forget how hard it can be for many people to just go target shooting. If it is an indoor range then I can understand. Don’t push the eye your Luger isn’t going anywhere!
Jim
jeb111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to jeb111 for your post:
Unread 06-14-2021, 07:11 PM   #18
Dubar
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb111 View Post
Dubai, range reservations? Yuk, I am so spoiled living in WY I can go out my back door anytime I want. I forget how hard it can be for many people to just go target shooting. If it is an indoor range then I can understand. Don’t push the eye your Luger isn’t going anywhere!
Jim
I actually belong to 2 ranges, the closest is an indoor range for pistol caliber only (the one I was going to) and an outdoor range an hour away. The outdoor range is a club, they have a 10, 25, 50, and 100yd range plus skeet/trap ranges and is 1/2 the price the indoor range is. I may drop the indoor range next year and just belong to the outdoor club, I don't mind the drive plus I got my son-in-law and nephew to join.

Must be nice to walk out back and blast away
Unread 06-15-2021, 08:17 AM   #19
Dubar
User

Searching the boards I found this:

HzAJt18 mark (Heeres Zeugamt Ingolstadt, depot 18)

You guys (are there any females on the forum?) probably already knew that but I'm trying to collect what data I can in one spot.
Unread 06-15-2021, 11:01 AM   #20
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Welcome to the forum. We focus on Lugers and discussing them here. They are birthed from the factory without gender assignment. I'm not even sure there is a place to indicate the gender of our members in registration.

I do recommend you download our FAQ PDF document. It's free, and has a remarkable amount of reference information. This will increase your knowledge about the Luger you have (a 42 date/42 concealment code is not so common). You have a "shooter" grade Luger, and should enjoy it thoroughly.

I hope you heal soon. Respect your doctor's advice. I've been unable to shoot for several weeks after cervical neurosurgery = and while the urge is there to get out to the range, I've learned patience.

Follow the FAQ link at the top of every forum page, and get a copy of our reference document...

Marc
The following 2 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post: