LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-09-2002, 03:14 AM   #1
G. W. Gill

Default It's not mint

It's not mint, however, Iwould like to continue shooting my BYF 42. Will it harm the bakelite grips and magizine bottoms. I'm fairly sure the steel is good, however, I'm wondering about the bakelite. Thanks.

Unread 05-09-2002, 09:10 AM   #2
Dok
RIP

Default Re: It's not mint

Welcome to ther Luger Forum. Being a shooter myself, your concern over the grips and magazines is easily solved. Buy a pair of replacement grips and/or magazines ($15-$35) and use those for shooting.

I would be far more concerned over damage to the firing pin, extractor or other small numbered part. You didn't say if this was an all-matching pistol, but if so the loss of a small numbered part will decrease the collector value of your Luger significantly.

If on the other hand, the collector value is not of great concern, or the pistol is mismatched then you may shoot with abandon, the steel should be OK, as long as you don't use +P loads. stick with 115-124gr FMJ name brand loads (see earlier posting on Russian ammo) and you should be just fine.

Dok (Webmaster)

Unread 05-09-2002, 12:05 PM   #3
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Grips and Mags

Hi G.W. I have a byf 41 Black Widow Shooter, similar to your configuration. I had original black bakelite grips and a black plastic bottom magazine. I too was concerned about the bakelite and found a pretty decent pair of reproduction grips for about $20 and I bought a fxo magazine with some chips out of the bottom for about $50. Now I don't have to be concerned about messing up the originals. You still have to be concerned about the extractor and firing pin, which should be numbered to your pistol.