LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-05-2002, 11:20 PM   #1
Addicted

Default Mauser Bump or Hump

Can anyone explain to me the real thinking Mauser had when they produced their early Lugers with the No Mauser hump and then some were intermixed with the Mauser hump and finally all were produced with no Mauser hump? It seems to me the recoil travel of the toggle link would be different between the Lugers with the hump and without the hump. The reason for my thinking is the frame lengths are different. Is the toggle rear movement stopped by the inside of the frame or by the knee on the rear toggle at the back outside of the frame?

Unread 05-05-2002, 11:23 PM   #2
Addicted

Default Correction

The first sentence at the end should read with the Mauser hump. Sorry

Unread 05-06-2002, 01:21 AM   #3
Thor
User

Default Re: Mauser Bump or Hump

The early Mausers had mixed humps and no humps, but fer instance, the Gs seem NOT to be humped, but they all have a thickened back where the hump is to better contain the rear axle pin during the rearward most movement of the receiver forks. The humped Mauser simply had some of the thickened rear frame REMOVED to form the hump. Thor

Unread 05-06-2002, 08:19 PM   #4
Addicted

Default I Always Felt Like

Thanks Thor, I always felt like there was more to the HUMP story. I could never figure why Mauser would resort to additional machining to create the hump. It just always looked to me like it would have been simpler to produce without the hump! If I could just talk to someone at the Mauser factory that was there at the time I could sleep better at night. LMAO

Unread 05-06-2002, 09:14 PM   #5
Brandon Metcalf

Default Where is this hump located exactly?

Does anyone have a pic of one?

Anxious to learn , Brandon

Unread 05-07-2002, 12:08 AM   #6
Addicted

Default Re: Where is this hump located exactly?

Brandon,

I have no pic's of the Hump but it is formed at the very rear back of the frame above the lanyard loop. The back of the frame on DWM's is straight up vertical. Some K-dates, G-dates and 1936-S/42 Mausers are also straight up or vertical. The Hump causes the rear of the frame to not be verical, it has a curved appearance to it. You can easily see it from the side. The Mauser Military lugers are the only ones that have the HUMP, I think! It is interesting Mauser elected to remove that section of metal to return the frame length to the same as a DWM luger! I have always been curious about it.

Unread 05-07-2002, 02:46 AM   #7
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,082 Times in 1,673 Posts
Default Location of Hump (EOM)

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/MauserHump.jpg
Unread 05-07-2002, 07:31 PM   #8
Brandon Metcalf

Default Thanks for the info Pete,Ron,Addicted!

After looking at Pete (sent his pic by e-mail) & Ron's Pic's I have found that my 1937 S/42 has the hump. Very interesting stuff!

,Brandon