LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 12-22-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
Default 1902 Frame Survey

A discussion has been occurring on Jan Still's Forums abut the 1902 Cartridge Counter offered in the latest Rock Island Arsenal auction http://luger.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9986 This has brought up the question, what is the proper profile for the machining of the 1902 frame front? Conventional understanding is that there is a slight forward angle to the machining (illustrated bottom left, below), although pictures and observations suggest an alternative straight profile (similar to upper left, below).

I have surmised that the profile is dependant on the length of the receiver, and that the shape is determined by the curve necessary to make the frame front and receiver front match. This cannot be determined by a strict profile view.

It would be enlightening if owners of 1902 Lugers (of any designation save carbine) would review the last few posts of the discussion, and then examine your guns to determine if the profile is straight or slanted; and if the receiver front perfectly matches the frame length or sticks out a fraction of a mm (illustrations, right below). Reports of your observation would be good, pictures would be better.

As usual, I will keep track of this data. Please report the full serial number, if you do not want to do this publicly email me dwightg@pacifier.com and I will add it anonymously.

--Dwight

Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
Pete Ebbink
User

Dwight,

My M1900 DWM-Swiss was probably made in late 1901 or early 1902 :

Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2006, 01:46 AM   #3
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Pete,

Thats a long-frame, right? I'm looking for 1902 9mm short frame...

Thanks though, its a good example of what a matching frame/receiver looks like, and the kind of view which serves the purpose.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote