LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 07-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
jerrys
User

Default loading snail drum problem/question

I bought a snail drum from a well known dealer. I will also say this is my first artillery luger and drum. I didn't realize you really have to have a loader to load more than about 8 or so rounds in it. So, and you know how much a loader is, I find a loader and buy it about 3 weeks after receiving the drum. Now comes the problem. The drum loads properly w/ 30 rounds. However, somewhere in the drum, the mag spring is binding and will not feed the rounds. So, I open it up and the drum is very clean, the magazine spring seems to be in good shape and try again. It will still not feed. So I call the dealer.

Here's the story when I call him. "Well, I've never loaded more than 8 rounds in any of my drums, you're the first person I've even heard of who has got that many rounds in a drum (experiences posted on the board woud definitely indicate otherwise) and you need to get a gunsmith to fix it." I'm sorry, but I'm not very understanding at this point. I buy something that I should expect to work from a very reputable dealer and if it doesn't work I need to get it repaired?! So I suggest he can send me another drum that does work, but he doesn't have one. He suggests "send it back and I will sell it for you" - not refund my money. So he's going to sell the drum that doesn't work to some other buyer? Great way to do business.

Has anyone had a similar problem with a drum? I would like to get it working right, but given the dealers attitude (not my problem according to him) my inclination is to send it back and have the credit company reverse the charge. Given this dealer's "name" I really expected more. I will say that I've been dealing in Class 3 weapons for almost 10 years and have never had this type of problem or attitude with guns that cost a lot more than most Lugers except maybe the Luger carbines.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm really just disbelieving this type of attitude. If it doesn't work out, I will post the outcome so some other person new to collecting accessories to their guns doesn't have to go through the same problem.

Thanks for listening and any ideas appreciated.
jerrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
the gunman
User

I see no real problem loading only 30 rounds in a 32 round drum thats almost 90 years old . These old springs have like some of us. have given up a little of there "Omph" If as you say you have been dealing for 10 years with class 3 weapons . From WWI WII you sure as hell must know this.
the gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
LU1900
User

Unread 07-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
Mauser720
User

jerrys -

I have one of these drums and loaders too; however, I have not yet used them. My intentions are to eventually get around to opening up the drum and cleaning it as you as done. (There are instructions and photographs here on this Forum that show how to do this.)

The only other thing I am considering doing before I actually try it out is to coat the inside of the drum with a thin layer of silicone.

Mauser720 - Ron
Unread 07-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts

Kerry, Can you fire the 30 rounds you have been able to put in or they will not?

The first advice I ever got from George Anderson was to pour oil down the mag. load and shoot!
Seems to work with both my drums.
Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

George and Jerry have pretty much put their finger on the problem. A drum magazine can be as clean as a whistle but unless it is really well lubricated it isn't going to push the rounds out. There is just too much friction of the rounds inside the drum case for the spring to overcome. I do not think a thin layer of silicone will do the job. If you find an original trommelmagazin that hasn't been messed with and open it up, chances are that you will find the interior coated with old grease.
Unread 07-13-2008, 11:15 PM   #7
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

jerrys, with the problem you describe I would typically examine the exterior of the magazine for dents. A seemingly small insignificant dent on the periphery of the magazine will not interefer with loading but will hamper proper feed. There is also what I call a Canadian cut magazine which will have a small cut into the tube which prohibits smooth feed. I don't know that this really is a Canadian thing but one has to blame something on the Canadians

If you will post photos of the magazine ( all angles) and email me the name of the seller I may be able to help further.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
mystical_tutor
User

I just joined the forum and I know this answer is kinda late but just for the record.

Both my type I and my type II worked fine with about 20-25 rounds in them. No additional lube and I have never had them apart. Why only 20-25 rounds? Even with the shoulder stock plus leather holster I found the whole assembly both uncomfortable and awkward. I just started out with 20 rounds and never had the urge to even try the whole set up again--much less going for 30+ rounds.
mystical_tutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2008, 07:23 PM   #9
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Mythical..Yer kidding right? I have tried to shoot anything I could get my hands on and the Artillery rig with a drum is a dream machine!
Did you only load 25 rounds or it wouldn't take any more? Mine shoot well with all 32.

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 12-25-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
MikeP
User

Any body ever break one of those mainsprings?
They are sealed wkere you could never get inside to fix or replace.
I never got a loading tool as I feared I would start using it.
I have an old catalog listing drums at $19.95, but I think they have gone up some.
I blew up a P 38 a while back, bought a Luger with cracked block and finally became a believer.
I think buying something as rare and expensive and old as these are and expecting them to function like new is expecting a lot.
I think they had some problems when new.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2008, 12:57 AM   #11
mystical_tutor
User

Huuhhha

No Jerry, I really felt sorry for the poor grunt that had to pack that contraption around, flopping back and forth as he slogged through the knee deep mud trying to move a heavy MG on sled rails.....
There was NO dream sensation when I fired it. It did seem quite accurate and very controllable but the torque created by the off sided heavy drum is quite distracting. Of course the original contract only called for a weapon that would provide "area fire" so I guess it would do that.

I loaded my type I up to 31 rounds just to see if I could do it but when I went out to fire the peace (think I used my 1914 Erfurt--not sure) I only loaded to 20+ as that seemed heavy enough.

I am glad you liked it but it is not my cup of tea.

Major Gary D. Adkison (USA-RET)
Formerly of the 3d Squadron, 5th Cavalry
Unread 12-30-2008, 05:44 AM   #12
spartacus38
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Overall I have had good luck shooting with snail drums.

The firepower is super and with stock an accurate weapon out

to 200 yards.

I put Rem Oil on each cartridge as I load the the drum and have

had good results with the drum feeding all the rounds.

Bob
spartacus38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #13
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Gary, Thanks for the report..Amazing how two people can percieve such a thing so differently!
For the times this weapon was deployed I suspect the Soldiers who had them were happy to pack them around. They represented the most modern defensive weapon then available and compared to rifle and machine gun ammunition..was relatively light.
The Infantry Grunt is expected to pack heavy things. They mean his survival. One more grenade or an extra bandoleer of ammo could make the difference in stopping an attack.

I have a great deal of interest in studying the Infantry Soldier of WW1. A truely fascinating era.

Bub, I would hesitate to oil a 9MM round and fire it. They were not meant to have an oil coating and this practise is known to be dangerous. The oil can act strangely in the chamber affecting headspace.

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 12-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #14
spartacus38
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Jerry,

Thank you for the info on oiling each cartridge.

What about spraying inside the mag tube of the

drum with WD-40 before loading?

Bob

Bob
Unread 12-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #15
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Bob, I would not use WD40 as it is not an oil but a water displacement fluid. It tends to evaporate and leaves a sticky/tacky residue.
A good oil lubricant is what I use. Any brand would likely suffice as long as it's oil.

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 12-30-2008, 12:49 PM   #16
spartacus38
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Jerry,

Thank you for the info on WD-40.

Do you think the Rem oil would work well if I sprayed

it in the mag tube before loading?

Bob
Unread 12-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #17
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

break free
Unread 12-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #18
spartacus38
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hi George,

Thank you for the Break Free info.

Bob
Unread 12-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #19
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Bob, I would further suggest that you wear old clothes as the pistol tends to throw off some of the excess as you shoot.

To add to Jerry's historical comments above. I believe that the LP08 with TM08 was primarily an offensive weapon group used mostly by trench raiding parties. Period photos that I have seen document such trench raiders with TM08's. I have never seen photos of MG or artillery troops with TM08's
Unread 12-30-2008, 06:19 PM   #20
mystical_tutor
User

Boy George; You make me ashamed of my poor memory. I remember seeing a posed picture of an Art. gun crew around their piece. Some, not all, had LP08s slung across their shoulders. At the time I saw the picture I did not know about the shail drum carrier and never noticed if any of them were carrying one. Sure wish I could remember where that picture was. I want to say it was in a Military Museum (Hood, Polk or Lewis) but that is a wild stab in the dark.

Gary