LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 10-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #21
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Let me add my welcome too MARTIN. We are grateful for your Dad's service... I am sure no offense was intended.

My Dad was just a couple of waves behind yours... but he managed to make it until January 1945 before a German machinegun interrupted his powerwalk from Utah beach to Berlin... He only made it as far as Winterberg and spent the next few months till the war's end in the hospital.

(NAME FIXED!)

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #22
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi Jack,

I also welcome you to the forum, and respect and am thankful for your father's service.

From the other pictures posted, I am also sure that it has been refinished. So... the good news is that you really don't have anything serious to lose by firing it.

Pick some normal power (never +P or NATO or surplus 9mm that might be a machine gun round) ammunition. The most common Winchester white box 115gn or 124gn 9mm Luger ammo should work fine.

These late Mauser Lugers have excellent metallurgy and were very precision made. My shooter Luger is a 1941 mismatch that performs well. These are fun to shoot.

1942 was the last year of German military Luger manufacture in Oberndorf. After that, the plant went over to making P.38 pistols.
Unread 10-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #23
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,519 Times in 939 Posts

SOE
You have every reason to be proud of your father Eugene. I am sure that the statement made by Cap was not meant in a negative manner. Welcome to the forum and it's great for you to keep your father's memory alive. We thank him for his service. They truly are the Greatest Generation. Bill
Unread 10-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #24
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I am curious about the makeup of the striped grip material.

Are the grips made of laminated plastic strips that contains each color, or is the color just paint in stripes on the inside of the grips?

If he purchased the gun in 1948, obviously the grips were not trench art... I have never seen anything like these grips before... very unusual...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
Unread 10-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #25
saab-bob
User

Martin
Welcome to the luger forum.
I noticed your dads luger on the Cal-guns forum. Knew the gents on this forum would enjoy seeing it. Glad you posted it here as well.
Bob

Last edited by saab-bob; 10-21-2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: correction
saab-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #26
Sonofeugene
User

Thanks all for your kind remarks. (FYI, my name's not Jack. Just for the record, don'cha know.)

In picking my user name, I figured that since it was my father's gun, that I'd just go by sonofeugene and keep some annonymity that way. Interesting that this other Eugene fellow is Russian. My father's parents were from Russia. They got the hell out of there around 1919 as the revolution spread then they fled further and further west. They finally settled in Sacramento, CA where my father was born. My grandfather, who was named Vasilly and later took the name William, I only have one faint memory of. My grandmother lived until I was in my mid 20's so I have plenty memories of her and her fairly thick Russian accent.

The grips are made of individual stripes of translucent but also colored plastic. I'm going to guess early colored Plexiglass. The back side of the grips are painted with a somewhat metallic silver paint which is likely what gives the yellow stripes a bit of a gold look to them. And yes, they're very unique. I thought about putting the original grips back on the gun, but my father went to a lot of trouble to make them so I've decided they'll stay. Especially if it's a shooter as it seems like it will be. (I'll be paying Krausewerks in San Mateo a visit in the near future.)

I did some exhausting seaches on the internet regarding sweetheart grips as well as colored gun grips and found nothing like the grips on my dad's Luger. I think it's safe to say they're one of a kind. Well made, too. And to make sure I don't damage them with some gun cleaning solvent, etc., I remove them when cleaning the gun.

I have another pistol of his (well, two actually) that has the more traditional sweetheart grips on them. He had a photo of his kid sister under one of the clear grips and it's possible that he made them while he was in Europe because I've got a military paper saying it and the 1934 Beretta are legal war trophies. The pistol with the sweetheart grips is a WWI Izarra in 7.65mm that my father said he'd never fire 'cause he was afraid the thing would blow up on him. In checking the gun's background, it was made by one of the better Spanish makers so it may be OK to fire after a thorough going over, but I have no plans to do so. It was one of the guns made for the French during WWI so I figure he picked it up while he was in France. And the Beretta he may have picked up just before the invasion of the south of France because his unit was stationed there in Italy in preparation for the invasion.

Thanks again for all your feedback and after I get an expert to look at the gun in person, I'll let you all know what they said. And I'm thinking he'll likely say what you guys have been saying.

Cheers!
Sonofeugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #27
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

BTW, Martin (in case you didn't know, anyone can learn a member's first name simply by clicking on the username and selecting "public profile". I should have checked before responding. Fixed my post above...

Your last name, however, is available only to moderators and admins... and will never be made public, neither will your email address unless you publish it publicly in a message thread... many do, but most do not.

Unread 10-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #28
Sonofeugene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sabato View Post
BTW, Martin (in case you didn't know, anyone can learn a member's first name simply by clicking on the username and selecting "public profile". I should have checked before responding. Fixed my post above...

Your last name, however, is available only to moderators and admins... and will never be made public, neither will your email address unless you publish it publicly in a message thread... many do, but most do not.
'Forgot about that. That name came from my maternal grandfather. His father was also a Martin and was, at various times, police chief of Gettysburg and marshall of Escondido. 'Wish I had his service revolver.
Unread 10-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #29
K.Wilhelm
User

Default Thanks for sharing

Sonofeugene- thanks for sharing the photos and stories about your father's WWII service & pistol. I'll bet your Luger will be a fine shooter- enjoy! Bill
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #30
saab-bob
User

Martin
Here is a link to some pics of my luger with "sweetheart grips"
Not as colorful as yours.
Bob

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...ght=sweetheart
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #31
kzullick
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Welcome to the forum Martin, and thanks for your Fathers service in the war.
kzullick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #32
Sonofeugene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab-bob View Post
Martin
Here is a link to some pics of my luger with "sweetheart grips"
Not as colorful as yours.
Bob

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...ght=sweetheart
Very nice!
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #33
Sonofeugene
User

The only thing I have any concern about with respect to firing it is that the magazine seems a little sticky as the follower nears the top. And there's some buggering of the top edge of the magazine as well. It does hold rounds just fine, so I guess the only way to find out if it works is to take it to the range. However, if one of you gentlemen could look at the earlier photo I posted where the top of the magazine can be seen, and give me your opinion (based on that photo, of course) of whether or not the magazine may or may not be a problem, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Unread 10-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #34
Tony Min
User

Try to find a Mec Gar magazine. Everyone has been out of stock but maybe you can find a used one. Check with G.T on this forum. They are supposed to start shipping them again soon.
I will be shooting some guns including my Luger at the Livermore range on Sunday and if you want to show up at 10am I will be glad to look over the pistol and let you use one of my mags to try it out.
You could also send the mag to G.T for rebuilding with a new spring. But even if you do that an aftermarket mag is what you want for shooting.
Tony Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:13 AM   #35
Sonofeugene
User

Thanks for the offer, but I can't make it. But, yea, I thought I might get a mag from Mec Gar. Good authentic ones are pricey and I just don't see the point.
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #36
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Martin, the magazine problem may also be the mag follower dragging on the inside of the home made grips. There should be a channel on the inside of the grips where the magazine follower buttom travels. Check it for drag marks. Uf any are present, gentle sanding and buffing of the channel may solve your problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofeugene View Post
The only thing I have any concern about with respect to firing it is that the magazine seems a little sticky as the follower nears the top. And there's some buggering of the top edge of the magazine as well. It does hold rounds just fine, so I guess the only way to find out if it works is to take it to the range. However, if one of you gentlemen could look at the earlier photo I posted where the top of the magazine can be seen, and give me your opinion (based on that photo, of course) of whether or not the magazine may or may not be a problem, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #37
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Doug raises a good point. Take the grips off and cycle the mag. in and out a few times. Does the problem go away?
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #38
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

To further add; The photo of the top of the magazine does make it look like the lips are a bit buggered. I would send this magazine to G.T. here on the site for an expert reshaping and contouring of the mag lips for proper functioning.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #39
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Doug has a good eye. The rear lips appear splayed apart as far as the front, sides look wavy and bent at the top. This is a recipe for misfeed.
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #40
Sonofeugene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
Martin, the magazine problem may also be the mag follower dragging on the inside of the home made grips. There should be a channel on the inside of the grips where the magazine follower buttom travels. Check it for drag marks. Uf any are present, gentle sanding and buffing of the channel may solve your problem.
I noticed the drag with the magazine out, so the grips would seem to be a non-issue. And the grips have the appropriate reliefs on the back side just like the originals.

If it turns out to be a shooter, I'll likely just get a couple Mec Gar magazines and be done with it. Though maybe I might have someone rework the original mag. Thanks again!