LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 03-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #21
Hugo Borchardt
User

Interesting holster! Modified from an Astra or a C96 Broomhandle? Is it marked?

Welcome to the forum!

My militaria collection is dedicated to the memory of my Grandfather, Marine Gunnery Sergeant Dave Hill, Jr., wounded in action at The Assault of the Second Marine Division on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, 20-23 November, 1943. http://www.tarawa1943.com/pages/casualties%20tarawa.htm
Hugo Borchardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #22
1970boss
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Borchardt View Post
Interesting holster! Modified from an Astra or a C96 Broomhandle? Is it marked?

Welcome to the forum!
I don't think its been modified at all but can't be 100% sure. I remember this since the early 60's and I am sure its the way My Dad brought it back from Europe in 45. I just know it does not look like any other Luger Holster I have seen. I looked it over and did not see any obvious markings. It always had the take down tool in the holster. Any way to tell for sure what it is?? Thanks,Bob
1970boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #23
Hugo Borchardt
User

The "Dotted Line" rectangle on the front of the holster is where the magazine pouch was removed from the original holster. It is definitely a well-done conversion from a holster for another gun to a luger holster, I am just not sure which one. Could have been done by a commercial holster maker during the war.

My militaria collection is dedicated to the memory of my Grandfather, Marine Gunnery Sergeant Dave Hill, Jr., wounded in action at The Assault of the Second Marine Division on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, 20-23 November, 1943. http://www.tarawa1943.com/pages/casualties%20tarawa.htm
The following member says Thank You to Hugo Borchardt for your post:
Unread 03-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #24
1970boss
User

Quote:
The "Dotted Line" rectangle on the front of the holster is where the magazine pouch was removed from the original holster. It is definitely a well-done conversion from a holster for another gun to a luger holster, I am just not sure which one. Could have been done by a commercial holster maker during the war.
OK,I understand what your referring to. I really never noticed that before you pointed it out. I am going to look over this very carefully to see if I can find any type of marking. I would really like to find out if this could of been the original holster for the gun or not? Thanks,Bob
Unread 03-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #25
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,519 Times in 939 Posts

Bob
Interesting holster. I am sure it was not what was initially issued with the luger. This appears to be a well converted broomhandle holster. Hard to tell when it was done. It could rest with my holster collection anytime. Bill
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #26
alvin
User

Some Weimar police unit marked short barrel Red 9s came with similar holsters. This holster should be a conversion from one of those.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #27
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Question: If converted from a C96 holster...Why would a C96 holster have a magazine pouch???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #28
alvin
User

I think that side magazine pouch was an add-on. Original C96 holster did not have that pouch. C96 holster had a front pouch (holding clip of ammo, or spare magazine spring? I don't know), which was removed from this holster.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 03-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #29
Hugo Borchardt
User

While researching something else, ran across a picture of a very similar holster on page 119 of Jan Still's Weimar and Early Nazi Lugers. Looks pretty much identical!

This one was paired with a Weimar reworked Police Luger.

According to the text, this holster is police marked P.B. 130. The conversion from Broomhandle to Luger holster consisted of adding a magazine pouch, loading tool pouch, and a larger flap to cover the magazine pouch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broomconv.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	25196  

The following 2 members says Thank You to Hugo Borchardt for your post:
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #30
steven c
User

Bob,
very nice 1939 luger you have there. Mrerick had mentioned the other variation of the 1939 code the S/42 here is an example of mine. the S/42 code stoped sometime in april of 39

steve,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pol4.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	25271  

steven c is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to steven c for your post:
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #31
padredan
User

very nice
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #32
1970boss
User

Quote:
While researching something else, ran across a picture of a very similar holster on page 119 of Jan Still's Weimar and Early Nazi Lugers. Looks pretty much identical!

This one was paired with a Weimar reworked Police Luger.

According to the text, this holster is police marked P.B. 130. The conversion from Broomhandle to Luger holster consisted of adding a magazine pouch, loading tool pouch, and a larger flap to cover the magazine pouch.
Hugo,
WOW,that looks identical to it. I think you have solved the mystery. Thank You so much for posting this photo. I wish I had asked My father more questions about the Gun but like many Vets He did not like to talk about the War much. My Mom would push Him to talk and He would finally give in and say a few things but not much. I asked my Mom this week if this is the holster He brought the Gun home with and She said Yes so I knew it was period correct. After looking over the holster carefully I see a very faided round stamp. I will try to photograph it and post it but it may be hard to see. Thanks again for posting the photo. Bob
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #33
1970boss
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven c View Post
Bob,
very nice 1939 luger you have there. Mrerick had mentioned the other variation of the 1939 code the S/42 here is an example of mine. the S/42 code stoped sometime in april of 39

steve,
Steve,
Thank You. You have a beautiful example as well. Thanks for taking the time to read the thread and post a photo of your Luger. Bob
Unread 03-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #34
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Bob, A rarely seen holster for sure! If the pistol were earlier I would suspect a Police association. As it is the pistol and holster could have been married up before your Father got it.

You were asked about the serial numbers on your magazine bottoms earlier but I don't see where you answered that? Are they matching or Police?

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 03-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #35
1970boss
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
Bob, A rarely seen holster for sure! If the pistol were earlier I would suspect a Police association. As it is the pistol and holster could have been married up before your Father got it.

You were asked about the serial numbers on your magazine bottoms earlier but I don't see where you answered that? Are they matching or Police?

Jerry,
Thanks for the post. You are right,I forgot to document my findings on the 2 clips. 1 of the clips matches the serial # of the Gun. The 2nd clip has a 425 stamped on the bottom and a few other markings below it. One of them is a + sigh stamped into it. Not sure if this info sheds any light on the origin of the Gun and Holster?? Thanks,Bob
Unread 03-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #36
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Bob, Neither one of these magazines are "clips" That is a misnomer commenly used by people unfamiliar with firearms nomenclature. Something along the line of using lugar rather than Luger. It is a highly noteable mistake.

Your magazine with the matching number and a + identifies your pistol as an Army. Made an Army and stayed an Army.

Your other magazine with 425... and "a few other markings below it?" Do you know how unsatisfactory that description is to those who are trying to investigate what you asked about?

Magazines can be a very important portal with which to look at the history of a pistol..Particularly those that came home with a bring back and especially matching ones.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #37
1970boss
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
Bob, Neither one of these magazines are "clips" That is a misnomer commenly used by people unfamiliar with firearms nomenclature. Something along the line of using lugar rather than Luger. It is a highly noteable mistake.

Your magazine with the matching number and a + identifies your pistol as an Army. Made an Army and stayed an Army.

Your other magazine with 425... and "a few other markings below it?" Do you know how unsatisfactory that description is to those who are trying to investigate what you asked about?

Magazines can be a very important portal with which to look at the history of a pistol..Particularly those that came home with a bring back and especially matching ones.
Jerry,
Sorry for the mis-quote. I will take a photo of each magazine and post it this weekend. Some of these markings are very small and may not show up well but its worth a shot. Thanks,Bob
Unread 03-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #38
1970boss
User

Ok,finally got around to getting the additional photo of the magazines. Here is the end with the markings on it. The one on the left matches the Luger. Not sure of the origin of the one on the right. I know the quality is not that great so I may have to get a better camera to photograph these.
Thanks,Bob

Unread 03-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #39
tharpo
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Bob,
Your matching magazine 6743u looks good. It has the correct 1939 straight winged eagle/63 acceptance stamp. Your other magazine 425e has a droop winged eagle/63 acceptance stamp and is from a 1935 G date luger.

Tom
tharpo is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to tharpo for your post:
Unread 03-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #40
1970boss
User

Tom,
Thanks for the info. At least I know the 1 Magazine is original to the gun. I am betting that the other magazine was matched up with the Gun when it got the holster. I am going to look over the holster closer in the daylight to see if I can find any stamps or markings. Bob