LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 03-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
1970boss
User

Default New to the Forum

Just wanted to start a new post and introduce myself. My name is Bob and I live in N.C. I have always loved the Lugers and there is a specific reason why. Ever since I was a little kid I remember my Father's Luger that He bought back from WW II,even though it was locked up all the time. Its bee 20+ years since His death and I now have the Pistol. I really would like to know more about it from the people that really know these Guns. In the coming days I can post photos of it and maybe we can determine if this gun is just an average pistol or if its special in any way. I have the holster and 2 clips and the gun appears to be matching numbers. I guess first off maybe someone can tell me the basics of what I am looking for as far as condition,markings etc.. Thanks in advance for any and all help. Bob
1970boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Welcome
Congratulations on your new Luger and thanks to your Dad for serving.
The best advice is to photograph every marking or number you see on the Luger, including all serial numbers. Also, the holster and spare magazines have serials/maker's marks, which are of interest as well.
This is the best way to tell you what you have. It is already priceless, as it was liberated and belonged to your Dad, but perhaps we can tell you what monetary and historical value it has.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
1970boss
User

Thanks for the reply. I will take some time this weekend and get it out,photograph it and post some pictures. Its really is a beautiful gun. We had the pleasure of shooting it together one time back in the early 80's. It fired well but is not very accurate. Maybe I am just a terrible shot? I had it out a few month ago and noticed there is a service tool in the holster. Its also stamped 1939 which I guess is the assembly date? I guess one big question I have is am I hurting the weapon at all by firing it? I don't want to comprimise the condition in any way. Thanks,Bob
Unread 03-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

I respectfully submit that Lugers have a reputation for being extremely accurate, and that's all I'll say about that!

While you are not necessrily "hurting" the pistol by firing it, you are risking the damage or breakage of a numbered, matching part, which would literally cut your pistol's value in half.

If your pistol is an all-matching rig, (both magazines have the same number as the gun)? It would be almost criminal in certain collector's eyes to break a matching part on so rare an assemblage.
Please don't shoot it until we know more!!
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
1970boss
User

OK,I will get it out and look closer at the pistol,2 magazines and holster and report back with what I find. Thanks again for taking the time to read my post. Bob
Unread 03-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

welcome to the forum.

Yes, pictures and description is needed

ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
1970boss
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
welcome to the forum.

Yes, pictures and description is needed

ed
Ed,
Will do. Just an FYI,I just ordered Vol 1 and Vol 2 of your books. I can't wait to read them. Thanks again for the reply. I am going to get the Luger out tonight. Bob
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #8
padredan
User

Welcome to the forum
Unread 03-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Bob, I live quite close by and will be happy to help locally if needed.

Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 03-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Bob, WELCOME to the Forum. I'm sure you will enjoy it!!
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Frank for your post:
Unread 03-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
1970boss
User

Thanks again for all your responses. I already enjoy reading all the posts on the Forum. Its nice to know that the Luger is so well appreciated among collectors. Look for some photos in the coming days. I had planned to do it this weekend but I have not had any spare time. I will get to it one night this week for sure Bob
Unread 03-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #12
TheRomanhistorian
User

Welcome to the forum Bob, this sounds like a marvellous heirloom and for sharing some of its history with us.

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to TheRomanhistorian for your post:
Unread 03-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
1970boss
User

Here are a few photos of the Luger. My camera is not the best. I think I may have to try and use a better camera before I take any more. Please let me know if you can make anything out here with these. Thanks,Bob

Last edited by 1970boss; 03-12-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:57 PM   #14
padredan
User

very nice
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #15
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Bob,
Pretty good photos, but to begin with we need a photo of the top of the gun to help determine who made it (manufacturer) and when. We can go from there for specific markings and further details. It appears to be a Mauser made example from WWII.
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #16
1970boss
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
Bob,
Pretty good photos, but to begin with we need a photo of the top of the gun to help determine who made it (manufacturer) and when. We can go from there for specific markings and further details. It appears to be a Mauser made example from WWII.
Ron,
OK,Thanks for the reply. I will take a photo of the gun and post it tonight. Bob
Unread 03-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #17
1970boss
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
Bob,
Ron,
OK,Here is a photo of the top of the Luger. Thanks,Bob

Unread 03-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #18
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Bob, it's hard to judge finish when the photos are taken with a flash. They look much better when taken in natural indirect light.

You'll also get better results if you can use a tripod and trigger it with the self timer.

Looks like you have a nice crisp Mauser "42" code Luger from 1939 in original finish.

I also have a 1939 "42" code that may be similar in finish appearance. Do all the small part numbers match? The "42" code was a later variation that year, which started with "S/42" marked pistols. Jan Still's forum has a summary of the year's variations here.

The serial number of your pistol would be the digits and suffix letter found on the front of the frame above the trigger guard. I think I can make out "6243" on the receiver. Is the number "63" stamped inside the trigger plate?

If you remove the grips to check markings on their back sides, be very careful not to break the left grip near the safety lever. Just barely lift the grip off the frame before sliding it away. Also be careful with the screw slots.

If the finish bluing appears "thin" to you, I think that it was not unusual in pistols made in this period. My own 1939's finish looks almost translucent.

Next please post pictures of the magazines and the holster and any loading tool. Are these matching also?

If this is all matching and you're looking for valuation for insurance purposes, I would think the pistol alone somewhere between $1500 and $1700. If the magazines are numbered to the pistol, add $500-600. A correct period holster would be $250-$300. A period marked loading tool another $100.

Simpson's Ltd and FSG Firearms (among others) have websites that should show you similar rigs priced at retail.

While not particularly rare, your pistol looks to be in particularly nice condition. The higher percentage of original finish the more valuable.

Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 03-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #19
1970boss
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
Bob, it's hard to judge finish when the photos are taken with a flash. They look much better when taken in natural indirect light.

You'll also get better results if you can use a tripod and trigger it with the self timer.

Looks like you have a nice crisp Mauser "42" code Luger from 1939 in original finish.

I also have a 1939 "42" code that may be similar in finish appearance. Do all the small part numbers match? The "42" code was a later variation that year, which started with "S/42" marked pistols. Jan Still's forum has a summary of the year's variations here.

The serial number of your pistol would be the digits and suffix letter found on the front of the frame above the trigger guard. I think I can make out "6243" on the receiver. Is the number "63" stamped inside the trigger plate?

If you remove the grips to check markings on their back sides, be very careful not to break the left grip near the safety lever. Just barely lift the grip off the frame before sliding it away. Also be careful with the screw slots.

If the finish bluing appears "thin" to you, I think that it was not unusual in pistols made in this period. My own 1939's finish looks almost translucent.

Next please post pictures of the magazines and the holster and any loading tool. Are these matching also?

If this is all matching and you're looking for valuation for insurance purposes, I would think the pistol alone somewhere between $1500 and $1700. If the magazines are numbered to the pistol, add $500-600. A correct period holster would be $250-$300. A period marked loading tool another $100.

Simpson's Ltd and FSG Firearms (among others) have websites that should show you similar rigs priced at retail.

While not particularly rare, your pistol looks to be in particularly nice condition. The higher percentage of original finish the more valuable.

Marc
Marc,
I will take some time to get into more specific details on the Luger and let you know what I find. I will also take some photos of the 2 clips and the holster I have for it. One thing I know about the holster is that is does not look at all like the ones I usually see for a Luger. It does however have the field tool inside. Should that tool be stamped as well to match the gun? Thanks,Bob
Unread 03-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #20
1970boss
User

Ok,got the Holster and clips out today. Here are a few pictures of them. Bob