LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Closed Thread
Unread 01-17-2007, 10:15 AM   #41
Ron Smith
User

I agree with Gerben. The only guns that I own that come from the Third Reich/Nazi era are Astra 300s and a Walther PP. And not because they are Nazi pistols, but simply because I like the design and are investment pieces.

If you check both Still's and The Luger forums. I believe you will find far more discussions about pre-Third Reich Lugers than Nazi era guns.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Unread 01-17-2007, 02:51 PM   #42
lboos
User

G. Van Vlimmeren. Hmm if i weren,t such an amical person, i,d think you were putting words in my mouth. i am not calling anyone a lyer.
I thought this was a discussion forum. Sorry. if i thought you could be lable,d as calling everone in this thread a lyer by G. Van Vlimmeren i would not have mention,d S-, WW-, or Naz-.
I do have a collection of German and US ww1 and ww2 equip. and several weapons and i enjoy them all. it,s all about history to me. the good and the bad. But i still belive if you mention luger to someone that the 1st thing [ not the only thing] that comes to mind is a german luger of ww2. just MY opin. sorry. you think what you want. but please allow me to think what i want with out trying to put words in my mouth. have a good day. LB
Unread 01-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #43
Curly1
User

Quote:
Originally posted by lboos
Curly1. unless you were trying to sell one right?
And i hope thats not rap music your dancing to. [just kidding] i love it. a rainey night in GA.

Boo thats the Curly shuffle NYUK NYUK NYUK NYUK NYUK.

As far as selling I have never sold a weapon yet and really don't have any plans to, it is a small collection many different pieces but I can not bring myself to part with any of them. Maybe if I run outta room in the safe..........

Gary
Unread 01-17-2007, 09:22 PM   #44
lboos
User

Curly1. i think that Curly shuffle might catch on here in GA. after watching it a few times my wife is catching on. but when i think i,ve got it , i fall down. but i will keep trying untill i get it right.
Like you, mine is a small collection and i would not sell any of it. it will go to the kid,s only after i get through playing with it. Georgia on my mind. LB.
Unread 01-17-2007, 09:31 PM   #45
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

I would not say folks dance around the subject of nazi's, but no, we don't glorify or push it.

Everyone is differnent, yes, some folks think of the luger and nazi's, but I would not say it immediatly comes to mind.

All that said, we keep it pretty civil. And if folks aren't civil, the moderators step in and we keep it civil.

So, all play nice, watch Curly dance around.

Ed
Unread 01-17-2007, 09:59 PM   #46
lboos
User

Brilliant,
Unread 01-19-2007, 09:48 PM   #47
Alx
User

Only ignorance of history, particularly Luger history, would cause someone to primarily relate the Luger to the Nazi era. Children find the Nazi era easier to sieze upon and remember than the whole bigger picture of the 20th Century.
Without later study and awareness, that early "German Luger = Nazi" fix on the Nazi era remains the strongest reflex.
The Luger came about in a different era. Imperial Germany, a colonial power much more similar to England, France, Russia, Holland, and the USA of that time.
Consider that the Nazi era brought about the degradation of the Luger, not its glorification. FIrst, the use of alpha-numeric codes to designate the manufacturer source, instead of the wonderful DWM and ERFURT logos of WWI, (Krieg's excused) with coded dates at first, instead of the full date on the breech-top, and then the discontinuation of strawing and rust blueing, which results in a much less disctinctive gun (IMHO). FInally they just discontinued it altogether, in favor of the P38.
The P38 .... now THAT'S the Nazi gun.
Unread 01-19-2007, 09:53 PM   #48
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

post closed
Closed Thread