LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Closed Thread
Unread 12-21-2006, 06:44 PM   #21
drbuster
User

I can thank George Raft, Peter Lorre and Sidney Greenstreet for my interest in lugers!
Unread 12-22-2006, 06:38 PM   #22
lboos
User

rjbuckley, im new here but ive been around guns [weapons] my whole life. i bought my 1st colt gi 45 1911/a1 a few mo,s ago and i got to thinking about who carried it during WW2 and it,s history, and i will probley never shoot it. i am looking for my 1st luger now. and hope to get one next week end and will probley never shoot it. it,s a history thing to me just like my 45 cal. 1873 colt ssa mnf. in 1875 i like to hold it and wonder if some bad guy carried it in the old west etc. like the luger and the 1911/a1 they are things of our past. in my opin. these old weapons are to be looked at for what they were. not what they can do today [kinda like me. ole GI.] anyway if i want to shoot something or some bad guy ill use my S/W 38 cal. snub nose. plus it,s easery to clean. Merry Christmas. L. Boos
Unread 12-23-2006, 05:56 PM   #23
Ron Smith
User

I became addicted to the era from turn of the century through the early 30's at a very early age. I loved the old Soldier of Fortune/ Adventure "B" movies. And for some reason Luger's bring that era to mind. That's one reason that I usually use an old burlap sack as a back ground in my photos. I like the hint of "Tramp Steamer" effect it lends to the pistols.

The unit mark fetish is just butter on the bisquits...
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Unread 12-23-2006, 07:21 PM   #24
Conny
User

About 20 years ago while at the firing range, I met a professor from Mary Washington College and his daughter. He owned a 1915 Artillery Luger (he said) which he let me shoot. The ergonomic design fit my large hand like a glove and the accuracy was exceedingly good for it's age. Although I did have plans on buying a Luger, it never happened at that time.

I'm not an expert but, it was an Artillery Luger and the serial number was 15xx. Whether it was a parts gun I don't know but it was beautiful. He did mention that very few were made for that year. He was a very nice, open and warm man and I'll never forget the experience. He had no idea how just firing the luger affected me. Where ever he is, I wish him well.
Unread 12-23-2006, 09:41 PM   #25
shadow
User

When I was a teenager the Shooter's Bible had an article that I think was called called "Lure of the Luger". I fell in love with the design after reading the article.

Chris
Unread 12-25-2006, 09:33 PM   #26
Alx
User

The Luger is a piece of art. That it fires a bullet extremely accurately is icing on the cake. No other gun made is as graceful in design, yet every piece is minimally designed for function. The least amount of metal for the most strength. It relies on precise fit, precise metallurgy, and precise hardening.
The Glock is known for its rugged reliability, yet I wonder how they will fare after 90 years. Will the plastic shrink away from the metal inserts in the frame, or develop brittleness from UV and environmental chemicals. Metal rusts and is a known quantity, but the modern plastics cannot be tested by accellerating time.
IMHO, the 1911 slab side is the utilitarian better, but without the art.
If just looking at them (Lugers, Parabellum) does not hook you, wait until you've actually had one for awhile. Almost every day, especially when unable to go to the range, I find myself wanting to have a Luger in my hand even if for just a few minutes.
The Berettas and Smiths are jealous even though they get to be carried with me, while the Lugers stay in the safe until shooting time, and that's only for the shooters. That 1915 DWM safe queen once proved it can shoot well, but hasn't seen a live round since.
Unread 01-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #27
Jim McArthur
User

Quote:
Originally posted by davidkachel
I disagree.
The Luger is the ultimate movie bad "spy" gun.
The ultimate movie bad "guy" gun is the 1903 Colt Pocket Hammer (.38 ACP); which of course I own.
Nah, the Broom Handle Mauser is the ultimate bad guy gun!

Jim
Unread 01-04-2007, 06:51 PM   #28
davidkachel
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim McArthur
Nah, the Broom Handle Mauser is the ultimate bad guy gun!

Jim
Only if he's wearing a Fu Manchu moustache.
Unread 01-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #29
Jim McArthur
User

Default Fu Manchu!

Yes, the mustache adds to the fun!

Jim
Unread 01-04-2007, 08:29 PM   #30
Jim McArthur
User

Quote:
Originally posted by lboos
anyway if i want to shoot something or some bad guy ill use my S/W 38 cal. snub nose. plus it,s easery to clean. Merry Christmas. L. Boos [/B]
Your right, lboos, those .38 snubbies may not be the most powerful or accurate or glamorous guns ever made: but as practical, go-practically-everywhere-you-go everyday carry pieces, they have a lot going for them.

Too many people who want a gun "for protection" end up with something that's too big and too heavy to carry. They're effective: but not there when you need them.

Jim
Unread 01-05-2007, 10:49 AM   #31
thypentacle
User

I'd have to say the design is part of it... though a certain percentage of my interest is the Nazi connection to the gun. I'm NOT a skinhead either... but the history of the Nazi movement is very fascinating on a 'can't believe how big it got' area.

One thing is certain, it is a time that shows how much power ONE man is able to achieve. Amazing as hell to me....

M.W.
Unread 01-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #32
davidkachel
User

People find it difficult to understand or accept that someone can have an interest in the Nazis without being in agreement with them.
They assume that if you collect Nazi related items you must be one.
I watch every Nazi related film and documentary I find. I think it's a fascination with the closest thing to pure evil that has ever existed. It's like stepping to the edge of an active volcano or slowing down to look at a horrible accident... irresistable, but it doesn't mean you want to be a participant.
Or, as a friend of mine used to say; they may have been evil incarnate, but they definitely had the best looking uniforms.
Unread 01-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #33
Parabellus
User

It's a great question and I'm not sure I even know the answer.

I do know I would not even be here on this on any firearms forums had I not inharited the two S&W wheel-guns from my brother just a year ago.

My wife and son and I took them to a pistol range and knew we wanted to get our own weapons-of-choice. She wanted a new PPK. I knew after brief reflection that mine had to be a Luger even though I didn't yet even know how one functions. Internet searches brought me here where I learned nearly everything I now know about them. I am still in awe of the wealth of knowledge possessed by the members, old and new, of this forum. I have since added other guns, C96, P38, M1911 to my collection but the Lugers are most prized.

Sublime elegance of design and execution is the only way I can explain my fascination with the Luger.

Russell
Unread 01-16-2007, 07:06 PM   #34
lboos
User

Thypentacle and Davidkackel. so far from what iv,e read here you two are the only two to tell it like it is. everone else stays away from the words like nazi, SS. ww 2. most say things about the luger like, a work of art, the old gangster movies. a beautiful weapon, a stremline gun, and oh aint it pretty.
today it was raining in GA. so i stayed in and watched the hist. chan. about the rise of the nazi,s and the last days of hitler and i saw a lot of lugers. and it is still a beautful weapon no matter what. but it crack,s mme up to read how so many people dance around what it was so infamous for. and it is a great weapon. i guess kinda like Jesse James ole gu. but id still love th have it.
Unread 01-16-2007, 07:56 PM   #35
Curly1
User

Didnt matter to me who made it or used it I would still own it for what it is, if it wasnt part of the Nazi history they would problably be a lot less in price which would be ok with me.

Gary
Unread 01-16-2007, 08:38 PM   #36
lboos
User

Curly1. unless you were trying to sell one right?
And i hope thats not rap music your dancing to. [just kidding] i love it. a rainey night in GA.
Unread 01-16-2007, 10:47 PM   #37
davidkachel
User

Quote:
...but it crack,s mme up to read how so many people dance around what it was so infamous for...
Iboos,

I don't think anyone is dancing around it. I think the people on this forum just aren't preoccupied with it.
It's people who do not have an interest in Lugers or Nazi collectibles in general who tend to jump to conclusions about those who do.

And the Luger wasn't infamous for anything. It was the people most associated with using it who were infamous.
Unread 01-17-2007, 05:32 AM   #38
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Quote:
Thypentacle and Davidkackel. so far from what iv,e read here you two are the only two to tell it like it is. everone else stays away from the words like nazi, SS. ww 2. most say things about the luger like, a work of art, the old gangster movies. a beautiful weapon, a stremline gun, and oh aint it pretty.
Hmm, if I weren't such an amical person, I'd think you were calling just about everyone in this thread a lyer because we don't share your nazi-preoccupational views....

The Nazi's were only a small part of the Luger history, which started almost half a century earlier. In fact, the luger fame can be attributed more to the first world war than the second. Don't forget that during the first years of the 1900's just about every army that took itself serious had tested the luger and it came very close to being the US military service gun as well.

Switzerland was the forerunner in many ways and without the Swiss it probably wouldn't have evolved into the gun we know today. Many countries eventually accepted the luger as official side arm and much more contracts were fulfilled. This is what makes collecting the luger so interesting, the hundreds of variations available.

The first luger I bought was a Dutch KNIL contract version and part of my own country's history.

I regard the Nazi era to be more of a blemish on the pistol's history than anything else. As history proved, they were a bunch of idiots and nothing to be proud of.
Unread 01-17-2007, 07:01 AM   #39
policeluger
RIP

Very well said!!!
Unread 01-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #40
ToggleTop
User

Hello,

Very interesting thread.

I think as a side question, we should ask what makes a gun nut or not? Regardless of our interest we have people interested in firearms and the other group that wants to take them away, we have shooters and collectors. My interest in firearms goes back to when I played cowboys and indians around the end of WWII. The cowboy movies and war movies I am sure influenced my interest.

Why is it we have this group of people so interested in any firearm? Does it go all the way back to our forefathers? Why do we have those people so dead set againist firearms that we cannot understand why?

I am not sure about the younger generations. Will our interest with young people continue in the future as collectors? One of the mind sets of some of the younger people are to use the firearm to committ horrible crimes. Many things are involved here that I didn't have to deal with when I was a young man. Our society has canged so much in my lifetime.

I can remember in the late 1950's when I was in high school we had a rifle team which I enjoyed very much. Shortly after leaving high school the Reserve Officers Training Corp (ROTC) was eliminated. This resulted from an attitude in the country and the early beginning of some of the gun control we see today. It has been like a termite eating away at our rights as gun violence has increased.

So, I like firearms, I am a gun nut, I do not intend to use them in a violent manner except for protecting my country and family.

I just like guns and I quess I should say I am sorry, but I want.

Good Day,
Chester
Closed Thread