LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 06-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
remerus
User

Default Hello from Australia

Hello Fellas,

Just though I would say a quick hello. I am a long time admirer and very new owner of the wonderful P08.

Cheers Peg
remerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
NoncomRetired
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

G'Day, Peg...............and welcome.

Cheers, Ed
NoncomRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to NoncomRetired for your post:
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Peg, welcome to the forum. Please mention something about yourself, your interests and your Luger...

Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
Neil Young
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Glad you've come along Peg. You will enjoy your experiences here.
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
remerus
User

Cheers Guys, I work as a Carpenter/contractor . My main area of collecting / interest is second world war fire arms & militaria. I have a few nice examples of in my collection such as a vis-35 Radom, Star model B, 1895 nagant, Tokarev tt33 and various rifles.

The latest catch is a 1917 Erfurt P08 all matching with pouch, spare mag & take down tool.
It does have some pitting unfortunately and not in the mintiest condition compaired to some of the gems that I have seen you guys post up but it is my first one and the price was not to bad considering I am located down under as you guys put it

Here are a couple of pics I will post more once she arrives..

Peg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06944.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	34745  

Name:	DSC06945.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	34746  

Name:	DSC06962.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	34747  

Name:	DSC06964.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	34748  

The following 2 members says Thank You to remerus for your post:
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
Curly1
User

Welcome to the forum.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Curly1 for your post:
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #7
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

So what are the laws governing Lugers and other handguns in Australia?
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:34 AM   #8
remerus
User

The laws are pretty heavily regulated here in Australia. For example your firearm serial number have to be registered to a government database so they know where they are, know who has them & where they are kept. Did I mention they are registered to you personally so just having a mate pop over and buy one of your pieces of you and taking it home is a big no no you have to transfer all firearms through a dealer ( more paper work & money ).

Then there is the licencing bit... you have to be licensed in the particular category that you want to possess i.e

H category which is a target shooters licence, Which incidentally restricts you to not larger caliber than .38 and also restricts you to revolvers of no less than 100 mm barrel length and semi auto of no less 120 mm barrel length.

A side note to the above license category is that we have what the Gov like to call "Genuine reason" which means when applying for any firearms licence you need to satisfy this requirement so If you have say a H category target shooter licence that will be your genuine reason. but here is the twist you can only apply for a license if you are a financial member of a Pistol shooters club which the club verifies with the fire arms registry before issuing your licence. you must maintain financial member ship of your nominated club or your genuine reason diminishes thus rendering your licence invalid which leads to the police coming and seizing your firearms.

G category which is a collectors licence or permit rather which allows the licensee to have in their possession only and not to shoot or possess ammo for the firearms on your collectors ticket.

Safe Storage. though i'd add the information regarding this for you to read if you interested.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/...March_2012.pdf

So yes it is quite a hoop jumping event but is something we have to do in these parts. One word of advice to you all in USA Don't let your Government do this to you.

Peg
Unread 07-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #9
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Very informative, and thank you for your detailed response.
One other question. Has there been any appreciable drop or rise in gun crimes since these laws were instituted?
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
remerus
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
So what are the laws governing Lugers and other handguns in Australia?
dju
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
Very informative, and thank you for your detailed response.
One other question. Has there been any appreciable drop or rise in gun crimes since these laws were instituted?
dju
No Problem mate.

Please don't make me laugh politicians will have you believe these things make a difference but really they are just wanting to be seen to do something for the Anti gun types every time some whack job decides to go out and shoot a bunch of people.

The thing that our Governing bodies and Politicians seem to find inconceivable is that the only people that they disarm are the law abiding and innocent and that the fact of the matter is that the people that don't obey the Law (the Criminals) still have the guns and still commit criminal acts.

And to answer your original question is no crime has risen of course as stated above the restriction of firearms only affects people who do the right thing.

Peg
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #11
NoncomRetired
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Are you sure you live in Australia and not the State of Illinois. All those control laws I pretty much have also and with the recent revelations here in Yankland, our National Security Agency, knows all, sees all, controls all, throughout the Kingdom of OZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remerus View Post
The laws are pretty heavily regulated here in Australia. For example your firearm serial number have to be registered to a government database so they know where they are, know who has them & where they are kept. Did I mention they are registered to you personally so just having a mate pop over and buy one of your pieces of you and taking it home is a big no no you have to transfer all firearms through a dealer ( more paper work & money ).

Then there is the licencing bit... you have to be licensed in the particular category that you want to possess i.e

H category which is a target shooters licence, Which incidentally restricts you to not larger caliber than .38 and also restricts you to revolvers of no less than 100 mm barrel length and semi auto of no less 120 mm barrel length.

A side note to the above license category is that we have what the Gov like to call "Genuine reason" which means when applying for any firearms licence you need to satisfy this requirement so If you have say a H category target shooter licence that will be your genuine reason. but here is the twist you can only apply for a license if you are a financial member of a Pistol shooters club which the club verifies with the fire arms registry before issuing your licence. you must maintain financial member ship of your nominated club or your genuine reason diminishes thus rendering your licence invalid which leads to the police coming and seizing your firearms.

G category which is a collectors licence or permit rather which allows the licensee to have in their possession only and not to shoot or possess ammo for the firearms on your collectors ticket.

Safe Storage. though i'd add the information regarding this for you to read if you interested.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/...March_2012.pdf

So yes it is quite a hoop jumping event but is something we have to do in these parts. One word of advice to you all in USA Don't let your Government do this to you.

Peg
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
remerus
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoncomRetired View Post
Are you sure you live in Australia and not the State of Illinois. All those control laws I pretty much have also and with the recent revelations here in Yankland, our National Security Agency, knows all, sees all, controls all, throughout the Kingdom of OZ.
No I'm afraid not Ed although The US is definitely on my list to visit (a very beautiful country I hear) but we have fairly tight restriction here. I Have heard that some of your states are pulling up the slack and making life hard and that is rather unfortunate I feel.
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #13
NoncomRetired
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Since we exist by a Constitution and a Bill of Rights, when any of those Rights are infringed by our government, true freedom loving Americans can get a bit upset.

I never made it to your country in my worldly travels, met up with a digger in Saigon and got drunk as hell, we were both leaving out the next day for home. I still have his hat in my closet. His name was McDonald, if I remember right. Hope he made it home OK.

If ya make it here, hit the back roads and you'll find a lot of places are like "A Town Like Alice"..........................people just talk different.

Cheers............

Quote:
No I'm afraid not Ed although The US is definitely on my list to visit (a very beautiful country I hear) but we have fairly tight restriction here. I Have heard that some of your states are pulling up the slack and making life hard and that is rather unfortunate I feel.
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Welcome! Are kangaroos protected by your laws?
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #15
remerus
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoncomRetired View Post
Since we exist by a Constitution and a Bill of Rights, when any of those Rights are infringed by our government, true freedom loving Americans can get a bit upset.

I never made it to your country in my worldly travels, met up with a digger in Saigon and got drunk as hell, we were both leaving out the next day for home. I still have his hat in my closet. His name was McDonald, if I remember right. Hope he made it home OK.

If ya make it here, hit the back roads and you'll find a lot of places are like "A Town Like Alice"..........................people just talk different.

Cheers............
Your Constitution and a Bill of Rights is a stroke of genius really and something I think you are very lucky to have unfortunately we do not enjoy such things as this and our government does as it pleases as we cannot be trusted to fend for ourselves

I take by your comment about Saigon that you served in Vietnam, I Didn't have any relatives that served in that theater but My grandfather served in the North Africa in the second world war as an infantryman in the 2/17 battalion "Rats of Tobruk" and then in the Pacific. I believe he thought highly of you Yanks..

Peg
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
remerus
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
Welcome! Are kangaroos protected by your laws?
Hi Mate, Short answer is yes they are protected and no you can't shoot them unless you have a permit to do so.

I believe (don't quote me) if they are on your property i.e your farm and they are affecting stocks ability to feed you can cull them.
The following member says Thank You to remerus for your post:
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #17
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

I just read your download regarding you have to have a steel bolted attached safe in your home! Is that required to have if you own a single gun? What about rifles?~~Eric
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #18
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Peg,

If you travel into my area of the USA, please contact me. It will be my pleasure to take you to the range at my club and let you enjoy my shooter Luger with ammunition.

Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 07-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #19
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
Peg,

If you travel into my area of the USA, please contact me. It will be my pleasure to take you to the range at my club and let you enjoy my shooter Luger with ammunition.

Marc
+1, another welcome, and another invitation extended. Australia and the U.S. share many things in cultural heritage, colonialism at the very least. Always delighted to show someone around, hear about their way of life, and talk about and shoot Lugers!

D.P.
Unread 07-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #20
NoncomRetired
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I thought highly and still do of the Diggers who served in Nam, along with the Canucks and the Paddy's who wore our uniform and yours, incognito.

Me and Mac were travelling through Saigon to catch our flights home out of Ton Son Nhut.

Quote:
Your Constitution and a Bill of Rights is a stroke of genius really and something I think you are very lucky to have unfortunately we do not enjoy such things as this and our government does as it pleases as we cannot be trusted to fend for ourselves

I take by your comment about Saigon that you served in Vietnam, I Didn't have any relatives that served in that theater but My grandfather served in the North Africa in the second world war as an infantryman in the 2/17 battalion "Rats of Tobruk" and then in the Pacific. I believe he thought highly of you Yanks..

Peg
The following member says Thank You to NoncomRetired for your post: