LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Unit Markings

Unread 01-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
Goosehunter
New User

Default 1912 Erfurt 90 RMG 52

I am trying to get some info on some of the weapons that were left to me from my grandfather. The first is the one I made the post topic. It ia a luger, ser #645 all matching numbers. On the front side of the grip frame it has stamped. 90. R.M.G. 52. It seems to have gold? Colored trigger and other small parts. Also I have a1938 S/42 and a Walther P-38. Any info would be greatly apprieciated. Thanks
Goosehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the forum.

You'll find quite a bit of reference information on this website. Please look it over.

The gold colored small parts are called "Strawed". The original finish on your luger should have been done using a process called "rust bluing".

Your 1938 Mauser Luger would have been finished using a different process called "salt bluing".

Your early Luger has Imperial unit markings from a machine gun company.

I'm afraid that to tell you much about your pistols you'll need to post pictures.

Collectors value all matching guns, with matching magazines if possible, in as original condition as possible. Any modifications (including refinishing) drop collector interest.

If your grandfather brought these back as a result of World War II service, he may have received authorization papers from his unit commander. These enhance the history and value of your pistols if you can locate them. There are members of this forum that would like to hear the "bring back" stories if you heard them and remember details.

If you disassemble your pistols, take particular care not to damage the wood or plastic grips. Especially the left Luger grip near the safety lever. These are often chipped off.

To tell you much about your pistols, we'll need to see pictures with closeup detail of markings. Take them without a flash under indirect light (in the shade outdoors works well).

Marc
Unread 01-08-2011, 04:54 AM   #3
klaus 3338
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosehunter View Post
I am trying to get some info on 90. R.M.G. 52.
It is a unit stamp from the WW1 time.
The Luger was issued to the M.G. Company of the Füsilier Regiment 90 which was stationed in Rostock and Weimar at this time.
It fought as a part of the 17. Infanty Division on the Western front.
Regards Klaus
klaus 3338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
Goosehunter
New User

Thanks for the info and I will try to add some photos. I dont have much info on the details of how my grandfather aquired the weapons. His brother and my great grandfather were both military. Not sure if they would have sent them to him or how he aquired them. I also have quite a few different rifles I believe to be German. As most have alot of the same markings as the lugers. K98's? Maybe you guys know someone around me I could take them to.
Unread 01-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosehunter View Post
Thanks for the info and I will try to add some photos. I dont have much info on the details of how my grandfather aquired the weapons. His brother and my great grandfather were both military. Not sure if they would have sent them to him or how he aquired them. I also have quite a few different rifles I believe to be German. As most have alot of the same markings as the lugers. K98's? Maybe you guys know someone around me I could take them to.
Where do you live?
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Goosehunter
New User

Sorry I forgot to add that. Indiana