LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Unit Markings

Unread 01-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Jasta2
User

Default Hitler and the Luger question?

As I recall, there were no Lugers directly connected with Hitler, but I might be wrong on that point. I am not sure of the regiment that Hitler served with in the "Great War", but have any Lugers turned up that has his unit number assigned to it? I might be a dummy here as not knowing what his unit was or even if they had been issued Lugers.
Thanks,Bill
Jasta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Bill, No, this is not it! Gefreiter Hitler served with the Bavarian 16th Reserve Infantry Regiment. I don't believe he was issued a Luger, there is a picture of him in "Imperial Lugers" carrying a rifle. Regards, Norm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2885.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	16788  

Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Jasta2
User

Not to be a dummy, but is that unit code from his regiment? I also doubt if he was ever issued a Luger. That would be hard to figure out. No doubt he should have been trained with them.
Thanks,Bill
Unread 01-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Bill, I thought I was clear. Adolph's unit mark would have had a cursive R, for reserve. Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #5
Jasta2
User

Sorry Norme, I did not know that a cursive R is standard for a reserve unit. So what does the 'R' stand for in your unit number?
Thanks,Bill
Unread 01-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Bill, you might want to study up a bit with your luger books and see some assorted unit markings. It might appear to be codes, but it does translate into meanings (I am no expert on them, that is for sure).

Not sure if enlisted were trained on pistols, unless they needed to be; at least that is how the US Army was trained; familiarization just consisted of being shown something, handeling it if there was time...

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
suum cuique
User

Location: MD / Currently about 9000 klicks east of the Potomac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasta2 View Post
As I recall, there were no Lugers directly connected with Hitler, but I might be wrong on that point. I am not sure of the regiment that Hitler served with in the "Great War", but have any Lugers turned up that has his unit number assigned to it? I might be a dummy here as not knowing what his unit was or even if they had been issued Lugers.
Thanks,Bill
AH was an infantry soldier, issued with a rifle. Later he became a messenger on the frontline, a very dangerous job. While others kept their nose down in the trenches or foxholes, he had to cross fast the battlefield. During this period he earned the iron cross 2nd class, the iron cross 1st class, was burried alive during enemy arty shelling, wounded and got his Verwundetenabzeichen (wounded badge). You must find out if messengers were issued Lugers, then you have the answer. He lost a friend on the frontline shot by a sniper while he stand very close to him. Imagine how would be the history if the sniper had decided to shoot the other guy...
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
pitsword
User

What was that story on the net a while back about a.h. having a Luger in his overcoat and shooting a snowball tossed in the air?..I recall that he even hit the snow ball.
pitsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Mauser720
User

Office of Strategic Services
Hitler Source Book
The Foe We Face
by Pierre J. Huss
(Part 1 of 4)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Page 1]

Pierre J. Huss: The Foe we face, 1942

In January of 1935 Adolf Hitler was sitting out the winter in his alpine chalet on the 0bersalzberg, above Berchtesgaden, somewhat tensely awaiting the outcome of the plebiscite .....He let Goebbels and others loudly beat the drum while he sat up there in the snow and went walking with the huge white Hungarian shepherd dog always at his side.

At such times the German Fuehrer strictly forbade his guards to follow; he relied entirely on the dog at his side, the heavy waking stick of knotted wood, and the rapid-fire luger automatic in his pocket. He wore a gray golf suit with heavy woolen socks stuck into snow boots and an old felt hat drawn over his right eye, and on days when the wind whistled sharply or snow whipped through the air, a gray mackintosh with a muffler around his neck. He'd crunch the snow with a slow step and proceed by a short cut over the hill back of his chalet toward a somewhat forsaken Bavarian-style cafe.

..... I had arranged through Karl Boemer and Alfred Rosenberg for an interview with Hitler on the day of the Saar pelbiscite [sic] returns, on the assumption that it would be an opportune moment sure to find him in the best of moods, provided everything went in his favor. I arrived there to find him in high glee, with Goering on hand in a huge white sweater to help celebrate the victory of the Saar with its overwhelming majority in favor of the immediate return to Germany. Hitler was in his golf suit, studying the latest returns, and his eyes were alight with joy. Without wasting time on ceremonies, he got his hat and stick and insisted that I accompany him on his usual walk before lunch. The big Hungarian dog plowed ahead of us through the snow, cavorting and barking with delight. But he seldom rushed further than ten yards away, turning back to see that his lord and master was following in good order. Later I was told that this dog could be relied upon to rip to pieces any stranger approaching Hitler unannounced.

We reached the crest of the hill at the edge of the pine woods and looked back. I was breathing hard, for this was not my customary daily routine. Hitler grinned slyly and said it was good exercise, this walking through thedeep [sic] snow, the only kind of exercise, he said, he had time or inclination to take. He pointed with his stick to his chalet below and to the sweeping hills around it.

"A good rifle shot, aiming through telescopic sights, could easily pick me off from here while I am sitting on the porch or in that back room there," Hitler said in a matter-of-fact way. "I am buying up all these hills and making it forbidden property so that Himmler can quit worrying. I have also had the road you came up on commandeered, closing it to public traffic so that in effect this whole section of the mountain will be closed off to any but authorized persons."

His walking stick pointed far across the valley to the distant city of Salzberg we could just make out under the clouds over in Austria. "Himmler and the army people got together sometime ago and figured out that a few well directed cannon shots from over there some dark night could blow us out of bed," the Nazi Fuehrer said with something of a forced laugh. He resumed the walk and added: "I cannot just walk over the border and take a piece out of Austria, and I will not move this house away or abandon it just to get out from under the range of Austria and cannons. I am a fatalist and all those things take care of themselves."

I thought to myself that Hitler was taking chances walking by himself in these lonely mountains, even if he did buy them by the mile in order to keep strangers at a distance. A legion of people would gladly have knocked him off. With this in mind, I pointed to two wood choppers making their way some hundreds of yards ahead of us toward the lonely Bavarian cafe and boldly said they could easily overpower him before he'd have a chance to defend himself or call for help. I wanted to hear [Page 2] what he'd say.

He nodded and whistled for the dog and held him by the collar,while he told me to press a hard snowball together and throw it high and afar. I did this, and the snowball went sailing off into the air.

Hitler whipped an automatic out of his pocket and with deliberate aim fired at my snowball. A split second after his shot rang out the snowball burst apart in midair, obviously torn by the passing bullet. I suppose I looked a bit skeptical, for Hitler asked me to throw a second snowball. He shot leisurely, and, it seemed to me, almost without aiming. The snowball broke violently to pieces in midair.

Hitler replaced the pistol in his pocket and tapped me on the arm. "Sehen Sie, I am not entirely defenseless" he smiled. "It is generally conceded in the S.S. and the army that I am a better pistol shot than most of their best ones. I also make it a point to know more about guns and weapons and bullets of all kinds than those who come to me to explain the intricacies of a new rifle note or a cannon's mechanism. I have read and studied many technical books on those subjects, including one or two by your American experts. I believe I can say with justification that I am one of the few all-around ballistic experts in the world today."

I checked up in German army circles on that claim and found it generally substantiated. He has a standing order out for every book on that subject and frequently reads deep into the night to absorb a new experiment with shells or bullets. He can draw a blueprint on the involved mechanism of German foreign large-and-small caliber guns and do it from memory. That is one of those things about Hitler one shouldn't forget in sizing him up as the man we now are about to beat.

He is a fanatic, every inch of him, going into a passion or fury when the occasion demands. I touched him off on that walk in the snow with a hint that some of his twenty-five-point program would set the world afire if carried out to the letter. He stopped dead in his tracks and like a flash he changed from the Bavarian alpine rambler to Adolf Hitler, dictator of flaring temperament and rabble-rousing fanatic. He stamped the snow with his boot and waved his walking stick in fervid agitation.
The following 4 members says Thank You to Mauser720 for your post:
Unread 01-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
pitsword
User

Thank you Mauser 720. No mention of a Luger, what was he carrying? Somehow I thought it was a Luger.
pitsword
Unread 01-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitsword View Post
Thank you Mauser 720. No mention of a Luger, what was he carrying? Somehow I thought it was a Luger.
pitsword
Second paragraph - "At such times the German Fuehrer strictly forbade his guards to follow; he relied entirely on the dog at his side, the heavy waking stick of knotted wood, and the rapid-fire luger automatic in his pocket."
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #12
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

I'm not familiar with Hitler's life...At what point did he change from Schicklegruber to Hitler??? Before the Great War???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
Neil Young
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

It says Luger in the second paragraph, but it is easy to miss.

Neil

Okay, I'm slow on the keyboard!
Unread 01-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
pitsword
User

Haaa, guess I'd never make it as a proof reader. Thank you Gents.
pitsword
Unread 01-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #15
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Great Research, I commend You!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #16
Hugo Borchardt
User

Purportedly, Hitler killed himself with his PPK, and also had a Walther Model 8 in the room at the time. He is rumored to have owned a small 6 shot Menz Liiliput, and maybe even a S&W revolver. So many fakes have surfaced over the years I doubt anyone knows.

Clark

My militaria collection is dedicated to the memory of my Grandfather, Marine Gunnery Sergeant Dave Hill, Jr., wounded in action at The Assault of the Second Marine Division on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, 20-23 November, 1943. http://www.tarawa1943.com/pages/casualties%20tarawa.htm
Hugo Borchardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #17
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
I'm not familiar with Hitler's life...At what point did he change from Schicklegruber to Hitler??? Before the Great War???
His father was the bastard son, not him. His birth name was Hitler.

Despite the incredible animal that he turned into when he was in power, it appears that he was an excellent "Soldat" in WWI, as very few enlisted men ever won the Iron Cross First Class. One ironic note is the fact that the officer that nominated him for his Iron Cross First Class was Jewish.

Sieger

Last edited by Sieger; 01-17-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 04:42 PM   #18
Sieger
User

Hi"

The "Foe We Face" seems to be a highly credible source, as our O.S.S. (now called our C.I.A.) included it in its liabrary on the subject.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote