LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-11-2001, 01:00 AM   #1
curt
New User

Default need help ID'ng DWM model

I inherited a DWM model that belonged to my great grandfather. I'm looking for more exact info on which model it is and the year etc. It has DWM on top of toggle, dark brown wood grips, safety marked "GESICHERT" (the tang actuated by the safety is slanted forward towards the end of the barrel, not backwards as in most of the pictures I've seen), serial in the 8xxx range--all numbers match, no grip safety, a metal loop on the back near the safety, no numbers on the clip that I've been able to find, clip has wooden grips at the bottom. The barrel length is 3 inches from end to where it meets up with the receiver. Proof marks of a crown?? over a capital N. It has a stock mount lug. It has "GERMANY" very lightly stamped below the serial on the receiver just under the barrel.

Can anyone tell me more about it?

Unread 03-11-2001, 02:36 AM   #2
BILL
User

Default Re: need help ID'ng DWM model

On the top of the pistol, just aft of the barrel, there should be what is referred to as a chamber mark. It can be a number, a symbol, a date or a coat of arms (it is usually quite large or prominent). It would be helpful to know what this might be. The fact that it is marked 'Germany' usually indicates it was made for export (and thus, a commercial model vs. a military model). Does it have a stock lug? If you have a picture it would be easier to identify. Also, take a look at the pistols in the photo gallery here (Owners' Corner and Unsorted Photos). You will find a good representation of many models. Maybe the same variety as the one you have.

Unread 03-11-2001, 02:58 PM   #3
bill m
User

Hi Curt,

Sounds like a 1920 commercial. These were made from about 1921 through 1928. If this is what you have, your gun should have a letter suffix after the serial number -- an i,k,l,m,n,o,p,q or r. Also it is more than likely in cal. 30 Luger. The 1920 commercial's are one of the most common Lugers variations you come across.

Unread 03-12-2001, 01:24 PM   #4
curt
New User

No marks at all on top of the pistol, aft of the barrel. It only has the script DWM on the toggle.

It does have a stock lug.

I don't have a picture, but it looks just like the three middle pictures on the top row of the unsorted pictures. --The ones with the green background. The proof marks and serial marks are different--that's all.

Unread 03-12-2001, 01:28 PM   #5
curt
New User

It doesn't have a letter suffix right after the four numbers. There is a letter below the serial on the barrel which looks like a script K. This is also on the front of the receiver below the barrel and is below the word "GERMANY".

It's a 7.65mm. I have a 9mm barrel extra for it too--different serial though.

I don't have a picture, but it looks just like the three middle pictures on the top row of the unsorted pictures. --The ones with the green background. The proof marks and serial marks are different--that's all.

Unread 03-12-2001, 08:17 PM   #6
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Curt, the serial number is the four numbers, plus the "k". So the proper serial number specification is XXXXk. I am pretty sure that bill m is correct about the identification.