LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 11-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts
Default 22 LR upper

bought this a couple of months ago

a 22 long rifle chambers, so assume that part is done.

talked to a friend of mine, he thinks it has to have a extractor cut etc.

Anyone on here capable? I would hopefully want it to work with the present 22 toggles from Erma or the like (which I do not own).

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2215.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	37419  

Name:	IMG_2217.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	37420  

Name:	IMG_2218.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	37421  

Name:	IMG_2216.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	37422  

Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 11-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,353 Posts

Ed, the SE-08 Erma system uses the extended right rear feed lip on its mag for an *ejector*, after the standard extractor is removed from the upper. You may not need one if you go with one of these mags. Since the barrel sleeve/adapter is concentric with the bore, your choice of the Erma toggle train with its rim-fire breech block seems appropriate. Your pic of the chamber area makes me think it will need an extractor cut, so I agree with your other friend. Also, there is no feed ramp on your setup. I think one could be welded to its rear, if needed, but you'd need a way to index it unless the insert's position/installation in the bore is permanent.
Unread 11-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

David, uhhh, mostly understand.

So, if I buy an Erma set, it will mostly work, but no matter what I will need to have an extractor cut, installed and a feed ramp of some sort.

All beyond me or my interest. I'll keep it until I find someone capable to make it work - but obviously need more to do so.

Thank you,

ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 11-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick W. View Post
I am unfamiliar with these rimfire conversion systems other than talking with a few members from across the big pond. Most said that I really did not need one, but of course, that just got me interested as usual.

I was trying to understand how an extractor affixed to the magazine lips could function. A picture might be worth a thousand words. Or was ejector meant? Some H.S. magazines had a fixed ejector I believe on the magazine.......kinda reaching there on my recollection.

My High Standard friends tell me that some late model H.S. rapid fire auto pistols in 22 short had no extractor, and just relied on the blow back.

I remember a picture on this forum of a Swiss single shot conversion for a Luger that used an offset bore, it was a handsomely done job and worked as a single shot only.

Just wondering how the Erma kits looked and the extractor thing or not thing.

Rick W.
Rick-o,

I just fixed the typo/brain fart in my previous post. I meant "ejector"!

For how it looks, here's a link to the SE-08/2 manual: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/38601646...stol-%28PDF%29 I like this version the best because unlike the model kit I have, the SE-08 http://stevespages.com/pdf/erma_se08-2_interarmco.pdf , the toggle knobs are round and knurled like the original P.08's, opposed to a pair of flippers like all the other models.

Please notice, gentlemen, the squarish structure on the breech end of the barrel insert. This is what indexes the unit's extractor cut because it won't fit in any other way. The feed ramp is attached to this "block" on the 08/2 model. The 08, you can see in the pics, has none.

And yes, an extractor is largely unnecessary on a straight (no delay) blow-back system pistol, as exemplified by my good ol' Ermas. I have two that arrived sans extractor and related parts. The KGP 68A in .380 works fine, its .32 auto brother about 95%. An extractor tends to guarantee effective extraction to a higher degree, though.

Ed, I don't think you're that far away from something that would sort of work. And I've seen partial kits, just the toggle train in particular, offered up online. Mags appear sporadically (I just bought a third from a forum member) and go for around seventy to a hundred bucks. One would at least have to acquire the toggle train for a check fit, and take it from there; but like I say, you're not far off.
Unread 11-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

I personally have trouble w ejector and extractor...

I am interested in getting this working for me .

Appreciate the knowledge and will investigate more about a kit...

Because of the assorted names, would the one you have work? I will check all...
Unread 11-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #6
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

One for sale in $500 range, a fair price, on G.B. or eBay, I forget which--but is the SE-08
Unread 11-15-2013, 01:41 AM   #7
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick W. View Post
One never knows how things were made back then, they had a lot of skills
Rick, That's the one thing that continues amaze me. I've always appreciated nice machinery. By nice, I mean they go beyond simple function and ergonomics into a realm where the imagination/inventiveness and pride appear as part of the art. Much early factory machinery is comprised of heavy castings that were smoothed, finished, and pin-striped--by hand, of course. All this is embodied by the Lugers we love so much.