LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 01-23-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,307 Times in 429 Posts
Default Model 1900 Production Questions

I have some questions about the beginning of actual 1900-model production. I've been searching through the usual resources, and while they (Bobba, Walter, et al) talk abuot delivery, no one is actually explicit about the beginnings of production. What I understand so far is that the Swiss parliament accepted the Parabellum as the Swiss service pistol on May 4 1900, and orders were placed immediately thereafter. Is it reasonable to assume that the 1900 Parabellum pattern was fixed after that date?

Swiss contract and Commercial production were instituted and produced simultaneously, early enough for the first Swiss delivery to take place "early in 1901". Is it reasonable to assume that DWM would have to take time to tool up and establish a production line for these guns, or was there a sufficient production capability already established for the creation of test guns and prototypes, and only minor modification and expansion would be necessary?

Does anybody have information about the actual weekly or monthly production rate of model 1900 Lugers, particularly in the first couple years of production? I know I have posed this question before in general terms (responses haven't been very specific), but I really want to focus in here on early production.

Aside from the frame relief for the raised magazine button and the thumb safety lever type, were the earliest Commercial examples fundamentally the same as later months' production? If not, can anybody clearly enumerate the differences, along with serial number examples?

Finally, can anyone say what date manufacture of production-pattern 1900 Parabellum actually began??

These questions have been vexing me for awhile now, and I will very much appreciate knowledgable responses.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2006, 12:02 PM   #2
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,988 Times in 1,205 Posts

Hi Dwight,

The 1939 DWM company history mentions the year 1899 as the starting year of Parabellum production, that's about it.

Quote:
"1899 Beginn der Herstellung der Parabellum-Pistole.
22. April: Kapitalerh�¶hung von 12 Millionen auf 15 Millionen M."

It's the olders known reference to luger production starting I have found yet. Older publications, dating from around 1920, mention the pistol and it's acceptance history in Germany, but nothing specific about the date of introduction on the German market.

Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote