LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-28-2002, 04:06 PM   #1
DAVE HOPKINS

Default Parts matching

Does anyone know if any of the Luger parts sources will satisfy requests for specific number stampings? I just bought a rather nice '37 S/42 that matches, except for the locking lever and trigger plate. Is this considered an acceptable practice? Thanks

Unread 03-28-2002, 05:20 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Not if you intend to pass it off later as original all matching

We call that fraud.

If the restoration is for yourself, then who's to say...

If it isn't going to REALLY make it "all matching" why bother?

Very few of the parts suppliers will take the time to look for you serial number in a large bin of parts... about the best you could hope for is for someone to see your need in the classifieds on this website and just happen to have parts with the numbers you desire...

Do a forum search on the work "matching" and you will find plenty of discussion threads here with varying points of view.

regards,

John Sabato

Unread 03-28-2002, 05:57 PM   #3
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Re: Parts matching

Dave, I agree with John! If you have a shooter and for whatever reason a part is bad and you can get a part with the same serialization, I would say go for it. I have and been reasonably successful on a couple of occasions.

Unread 03-28-2002, 07:07 PM   #4
Johnny Peppers
User

Finding a sideplate with the correct number for a pistol is rare, but chances of finding a sideplate with the correct number inside and out are astronomical. If anyone knows anything at all about Mausers, they will know the sideplate isn't original even if the outside number matches.

Unread 03-28-2002, 07:40 PM   #5
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts

Hi Johnny! And finding one with the same color blue and wear pattern is even more rare then the number match! till...later...G.T.

Unread 03-28-2002, 09:22 PM   #6
DAVE HOPKINS

Thanks for setting me straight. As you can probably tell, I'm a beginning collector so take it easy on me.

Unread 03-28-2002, 10:22 PM   #7
Thor
User

Dave, this comes up all the time as does Collector vs Shooter Lugers, as does subjects of fakery, refinishing, al part of the Luger experience. Some good, some not! The continue to interest me and I find the marking/collecting aspect the part I know the least about and find the most interesting. I just love it when someone has a pictureof a marking I have not seen yet. Welcome and enjoy! Thor

Unread 03-28-2002, 10:23 PM   #8
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts

Hi David! It's OK....my first Luger was a mis-matched G date..I spent a bunch, trying to make it match and work....to no avail...you are on the same path most all of us have traveled...best of luck to you, and I hope you find the parts you need! till...later...G.T.

Unread 03-29-2002, 01:41 AM   #9
mlm

Nothing to worry about--as a new collector you have gone straight to asking a very important and insightful question. Most folks have had the same question at some time and can empathize with you.

dm

Unread 03-29-2002, 08:57 PM   #10
Marvin
User

Dave,

I am one of the lucky ones! I have a 1939 Police Banner that is Import Marked, but NOT dip blued. All parts matched on the pistol except someone had ground some on the sideplate and made the number thin on the part, I found a correct Mauser sideplate with the correct numbers & number style, and the blue matched as if it was the original part.

Now, any Luger person should know that the number on the inside of the sideplate does not match what the original is, so I have kept the original sideplate, and if I ever ger rid of the pistol, it will go with it.

Marvin