LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 02-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
bubbapug1
User

Default Newbie question on my first luger

I bought this last night. I have been looking for a luger for a while. I am not going to disclose the price so I don't get the internet hazing which always comes with pricing.

This gun is a DWM 1916, with a 4" barrel. The barrel has just a light bit of pitting, and the rifling is worn some, but its shiney and consistant. I was pleasently surprised to look down it.

The parts are all matching as the gun was being cleaned when I looked at it. All parts except the mag that is. Even the grips are matching.

I am new to Luger ownership and was wondering if there are any types on maintaining this gun or any special precautions I should take with it.

bubbapug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Welcome to the foum!

It looks like an all matching, original finish collector gun so the first advice you will probably hear is "don't shoot it", as this makes a matching, broken part more likely.
There are a number of "stickies" here on the sight that will walk you through basic cleaning, lubrication ans storing. There are good disassembly videos on YouTube.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
bubbapug1
User

Bummer, can I shoot it once or twice? I think maybe 20 rounds to at least know if I want a shooter luger? I don't really enjoy my P38 compared to the comforts of a modern day gun, but I have found a Tokarev to be nice except for that horrible thin front site.

I will post some better pics tonight. There are a lot of proof marks on the gun, but I can't put the history together based on those marks. I know some here probably can.
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
alanint
User

It's yours to do with as you please. However, WW1 Lugers don't have the same metallurgy as modern guns and you will need to shoot standard ammo in it, (Winchester White Box from Walmart has a good track record with Lugers). Just remember that a broken part may as much as half your investment, not to mention ruining a unique piece of history.

You are better off borrowing a Luger to shoot. That being said, It would be horrendous luck to break something with only 20 rounds and most unlikely.
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The Luger now belongs to you, and only you can decide which way to procede. Have you checked all of the internal part serial numbers to be sure all of them are correct?..These Lugers are all old and there is always the possibility of a part that is numbered will break during firing.....then you no longer have an all matching Luger, and the value dropped considerably. It is still your choice.

If you do decide to shoot it, use ONLY std. velocity ammo like Winchester white box 115gr FMJ or PMC 115gr FMJ, or the like. NO +P, +P+, or NATO ammo.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
swampsavage
User

Nice acquisition. I have a 1906 AE, 30 Luger caliber that is all matching and original finish. Also a 1938 in 9mm matching but has been refinished. I shoot both of them as that's what they were built for. Since I don't intend to sell them the future value is of no significance.
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
bubbapug1
User

I'm getting up there in years, and I know my daughters won't keep them, so resale is...wait, WTF do I care, I'll be gone!!

You bet I'll shoot it! They'd blow the difference at dinner in 5 minutes....
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts

Famous last words..You bet I'll shoot it! How many horror stories have appeared here over the years! I have even posted a few of my own when the parts come flying off a collectable Luger..

WTF do I care, I'll be gone!! You shouldn't collect fine historical artifacts of any kind if this is your attitude. You are only a temporary caretaker of a piece of history that was carefully, artfully made long before you were born and will be around long after you leave this Planet. I have trouble respecting people who show such disrespect for any irreplaceable artifact like an all numbers matching Luger.
It is embarasing to hear such a cavalier attitude on a collector's board. If money is not a problem.. buy a mismatched shooter and shoot it to your hearts content. Break a part? No problem.. replace it and march on..no harm done. Sell it later for what you paid..your not out anything. Break an extractor, chip or break a bolt, or firing pin on an all matching Luger and you have not preserved history, you have changed it forever. Yes..you may say it's only money..your money..but it's not. It's something else altogether..think it over.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
alanint
User

The bright side, if you can call it that, is that people who break nice Lugers make Lugers in the hands of responsible collectors more valuable.

This reminds me of Paul Allen, who has wrecked several historic racings cars, because, well, the're his!!
Unread 03-01-2013, 02:04 AM   #10
bubbapug1
User

Hey, it says absolutly no flaming in this sub- forum, but I get the drift, and you make good points.

Its like playing darts on a picasso; is that similar??

My comments were halfway in jest and if you met my daughters you would understand the comments even more so. To me $5.00 is a BIG deal. To them, well they can snuff out a billion in a weekend.

I gotta take 10 shots with it, and than I will put it away. I will load up some nice 115 grain puff rounds, like 95% of max stuff.

Than, if I like it...I will buy a shooter and put the real one away in the safe, and take it out once every three months to silicone it a bit.

Here are a few more shots. I totally missed the little eagle on the top, and was wondering what the meaning of it is? I know the four proof marks signify a military accepted pistol.

There also is a grip shot showing the damage it has, kind of like a compression of the wood. I am pretty sure I could steam that out with a wet rag and a iron. I do it on wood stocks all of the time and its impossible to see the damage afterward.

Unread 03-01-2013, 04:10 AM   #11
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Hugh Clark, our resident grip guy, can recut or freshen up grips to like-new condition, and I rarely hear a peep regarding their having been "worked on". Be very careful with the grip panels as they are very fragile once off the gun. And they can be damaged during the removal process.
That eagle on the toggle is common to the Imperial military guns, but others can be more specific.
Enjoy your Luger as you see fit. You've worked long and hard for it and should enjoy it as you see fit. You are aware of the risks, but after all, life is a series of risks.
Welcome aboard, and we look forward to seeing your next one.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #12
alanint
User

Now you are talking, Gregg. Welcome to the fraternity!!

To remove the grips, take the right one off first, then the screw on the left grip. Gently tap the left grip from the inside bottom and gently lift it off the frame. The area directly around the safety pivot is the most fragile and where you see the vast majority of damage on grips. The left grip must be gently slid down and off here to avoid damage.
Unread 03-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #13
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Gregg, New collectors often take for granted finding a Luger like the one you have. Lugers like this dwindle away year after year as they always have due to breakage, poor storage and neglect. I just like to impress upon new Luger collectors that these pistols will and do break on occasion. You might shoot 10,000 rounds thru it with no problems..an extractor could fly off in the first magazine you fire too..I like to think Lugers are strong and will go the distance..some of my shooters are and have had many thousands of rounds down the pipe. Your Luger is something to take care of and treasure..preserve for posterity. Everyone wants to test fire almost any new gun they acquire although I have a bunch that will never fire a round while I own them. Just no need to..I have some shooter's to use.
Anyway good luck. Beautiful pistol. Shooting these and collecting them can be addictive!

I totally missed the little eagle on the top, and was wondering what the meaning of it is? This is an Imperial proof..likely an inspectors acceptance stamp. You can find them on barrels etc.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 03-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Jerry,

The eagle on the breechblock is one of the test proof stamps. It is the Erfurt-style stamp, indficating that an Erfurt inspector was assigned to DWM to assist in pistol proofing.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #15
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Dwight..THANKS! I always appreciate accurate precise information, I appreciate it.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)