LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 01-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
adlerauger
User

Default "You have a bag full of WHAT, did you say"?

I spoke to the owner of a gunshop over the holidays, and when I asked him if he had any Lugers or parts relating to them, he said all he had left was a "bag full" of magazines! I asked if any had anywith wood bases and he said some did. I tried to nail him down to a better description but he was alone in the shop and had customers backing up on him. He did say he wanted $40.00 apiece for the mags. I plan to drive out there ( some fifty miles ) later this week to take a good hard look, but I have two problems; One; in spite of the many things I've learned over the week since discovering this forum, I don't know enough about magazines and exactly what to look for yet. And two, at present I'm not able to fork over enough money to buy the whole "bag full" on the chance I may find something of equal or better value.
Aside from the obvious things, like condition, WWl or WWll issue markings, or poorly made modern knockoffs, are there a few simple rules I can use to guide me when I get a look at them? I will try to take some pictures, but I don't want this guy to suddenly think he's got a bag full of golden nuggets!
Thanks for any and all advice,
Adler Auger
adlerauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

if repros they are worth $20-$35 apiece.

If original a lot more, even if rougher shape.

There are examples of magazines here on the forum, a repro stands out to me, so I guess my point is that by looking at real ones you can tell after time.

I'd love to find a bag like this, but experience has shown that if you score, you score big, if they have have repro's you will barely get your money back.

At $40 a piece, you probably would do fine, coming up with the money one way or another....

Depends on how big the bag is? 10 mags, 20 mags, 30 mags...

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
adlerauger
User

Default "He stuck in his thumb, and pulled out a plum"

Thanks Ed:
I guess it's like anything else in the long run; common sense and gut instinct. Those have gotten me through a pinch or two in the past. I'll scan some of the posts on the forum concerning magazines in the meantime.
As soon as I've gotten a close look at this "Mystery Bag" I'll post my findings.
Until then,
Best Regards,
Adler Auger
Unread 01-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Adler, you are welcome to (truthfully) say, oh a friend is interested in all of them, but he is looking for certain types, could I take a picture?

Then send pictures to me and I could buy all of them if they are decent except for the ones you wanted (we could work something out)

ed_tinker@hotmail.com
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
adlerauger
User

Default Cover me, I'm goin' in !!

Hi Ed:
That sounds like the right way to go about this, and you're right, I'm being straight with the guy about the need for pictures.
I plan to go see him either Wednesday or Thursday of this week; Friday at the very latest. I'll get back to you as soon as I've downloaded pictures, if any, if not, at least an eye witness description.
Until then, thanks for your help.
Adler Auger