LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 04-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
trekking95
New User

Smile Luger paint color

Hi there!!

Just wondering what color paint was used on the WW2 basic Luger (don't know the real name, new to this and all).

Was it just black or more of a dark grey?

Please let me know the exact color it was!

If this sort of topic is here please let me know.

Thanks
trekking95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Lugers were never painted. The WW2 pistols were salt blued, which gave a very deep Blue/Black and sometimes a deep plum color on certain parts.

Some post WW2 Lugers received "Parkerizing", which gives them a grey-green color, like our 1911's, M1 Carbines and Garand rifle's finishes. The original German manufacturers, however, never applied this type of finish.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
trekking95
New User

Ugh, first post and a dumb question!

Well I figured since most guns are painted they would be.
trekking95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

There were 'some' guns painted, but the vast majority have and were blued or browned, now newer guns, such as glocks and such, i don't know what their coating is?

Welcome and be sure to check out the stickies on the New Collectors area and the FAQ, it contains a lot of information; this is not to discourage you from posting.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
Some post WW2 Lugers received "Parkerizing", which gives them a grey-green color...
Not necessarily...It depends on what Parkerizing solution you use...

I do AR-15 barrels with ShooterSolutions 'manganese' solution, which gives a very-dark-gray to black color...

I believe I've seen pics here of Lugers (Portuguese contract?) that had original Parkerized finish...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
tx_oil
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
There were 'some' guns painted, but the vast majority have and were blued or browned, now newer guns, such as glocks and such, i don't know what their coating is?

Welcome and be sure to check out the stickies on the New Collectors area and the FAQ, it contains a lot of information; this is not to discourage you from posting.

Ed
Modern guns.. i.e., Glock, Beretta, use a nitrocarburizing process, Glock calls theirs "Tenifer" and Beretta calls theirs "Bruniton" but it is the same process.
Para USA and a few others use an IonBond process which electrically bonds coating with surface metal.
Good old fashioned hot salt blueing is not very common anymore with manufacturers due to the labor and time it takes to do it properly, but as an old school collector, I just cannot get fired up to the new finishes. Duracoat?? Don't get me started....
Unread 04-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

I remember reading in Anthony van der Linden's book on FN pistols..it was either the French or Belgians were the first to paint pistols for their Navy handguns. Provided a more durable finish for salt water use.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Does anyone know specifically what kind of finish was typically applied to Erma's diecast pistols, and how best to strip it off?

DP
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

David, The finish on those pistols always reminded me of the powder coating method...or perhaps an epoxy enamel?

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Either of those might be a real bear to remove. A resilient finish of course would resist bead blasting, which I would prefer not to do, anyway. I've heard of some sort of "teflon" finish, but suspect that such was not used during the 60's. Powdercoating would by my current choice to replace the finish, as one series provides a thin-as-possible finish which is the most durable abailable; and its gloss can be adjusted to whatever I'd like.

I'm seeking a chemical approach as optimal, which would leave the original markings and surface texture completely alone. I may have to resort to careful sanding, but this may not adequately address the finish left in the markings. I'm hoping MEK, or similar, works.
Unread 04-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
Thor
User

I dont remember how I got the finish off, but I bet it was by bead blasting, I used a Brownells bake on spray finish. Not bad. This was circa 2003 so I dont remember all the particulars.

915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Thor for your post:
Unread 04-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #12
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Robert,

I'm pretty sure we can rule out ferric nitrocarburizing because it only works with ferrous metals, let alone that it's application temps would make me worry about fusing the work in the process. The IonBond process sounds like the ticket, potentially.

I'm thinking definitely not baked, everybody. Here's why:

Last night I immersed a broken Erma La.22 toggle in MEK based stripper overnight. I baked another at 450 deg. Neither action had any affect on finish or structure of the test pcs. I used a brass brush to check for any motion of this finish and it was still hard and tight. One pass of a steel edged scraper yields bare metal.

Jerry, I see what you're saying about the painted/coated look of the Ermas. I noticed that on the underside of the toggle scraps, it looked like such a coating might be there, but the topside of the part is smooth and glossy, likely buffed before finishing, and it has the same look as a blued finish on a steel gun. I think the "painted" look on the underside is a result of the surface texture of that part of the piece, preserved straight from the mold.

I'd also consider electroplating, like black chrome. My former Ithaca/SKB shotgun's barrel was finished that way, with white chrome inside. And there was an Ithaca/Erma connection in the '70's.

I'm hoping this thread lasts long enough to obtain a definitive answer. Apologies for highjacking the thread. The original topic sparked my initial question.

Ted, when I view photo #2 full size, I can see the texture left by the bead blasting, particularly on the bbl. Slick work, there, by the way. You've changed a pistol that just got home from a long, hard day to one that's has a s__t, shower and shave and is now sporting a dinner tux.

DP
Unread 05-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
Olle
User

I tried different chemicals when I restored my LA-22, but the only ones that would touch the finish also etched the metal. I got the impression that it's not a paint, but some form of chemical bluing. One thing that kind of works for finishing the pot metal is Birchwood Casey's "Aluminum Black". Some people obviously use this for refinishing display replicas made of similar metal, but it's very difficult to get a uniform finish and it also stinks real bad. You might be able to get decent results if you have enough patience with it, but I finally had to resort to blasting with fine aluminum oxide, then spraying with Brownell's bake on paint.

Still, the "semi-success" with Aluminum Black leads me to believe that there could actually be some form of "bluing" that can be used on this type of metal. One tip would be to search the model gun forums, seems like these guys struggle with the same problem and they may have a solution.
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #14
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Would anodizing be a possibility? The aluminum frames on some of these inexpensive .22s look like anodizing.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 05-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
Thor
User

The Post War P.38 have a pretty high gloss black finish on them, though the slides are matt parkerized. The frames are aluminum. I dont know if they used anodizing or not.
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #16
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

alanint,

I found a couple links so far about home anodizing. Looks like fun! And this might be the culprit--as far as finishing pot metal guns. it fits all the criteria: It can be any color. It offers corrosion and abrasion resistance (up to Rockwell 70!). It can be rubbed out for increased gloss. And any dimension it adds, typically up to 4 mils, dimension to the parts in a controllable way. Interesting...I already have some expendable parts for practice/testing, and most of the equipment and chemicals; just need to pick up some black and dark blue Rit dyes. What do you think?

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/anodize.shtml
http://www.defelsko.com/applications.../Anodizing.htm

DP
The following member says Thank You to ithacaartist for your post:
Unread 05-04-2012, 04:02 AM   #17
Steinar
User

Anodizing does indeed look like fun. Wonder how it would work on steel..

Btw. I thought all Lugers where painted like this
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #18
GySgt1811
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Urrppp!

"Btw. I thought all Lugers where painted like this..."

I just threw up in my mouth a little. I will never, ever, make fun of my "Krome Kannon" again!
GySgt1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinar View Post
Anodizing does indeed look like fun. Wonder how it would work on steel..
That's a good question. The articles mention magnesium, titanium, and aluminum. Iron/steel has different chemical properties which I suspect may preclude anodizing as a finish for it. I do, however, wonder what process is used to make "aluminized steel" which was touted by Ford, I think, some years ago, in reference to body panels. I know it's also used in automotive exhaust systems. But I think if it were anodizing, the process/treated material wouldn't have needed a new name.

The aspects of anodizing similar to galvanizing--which is a very hot dip in molten zinc--are the layer formed between the outside skin of the treatment and the original material beneath, and the phenomenon of slight dimensional growth of a part so treated. This layer is like an alloy because the molecules of the base metal and those of the coating are intermingled. Curiously, the growth is accelerated in the galvanizing process in areas of the treated material with higher silica content. So, if you'd welded a joint with regular alloy steel filler and ground and sanded the joint smooth and flush, it will look as if someone had taken a caulking gun to the weld after it emerges from the dip tank.

DP
Unread 05-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #20
Steinar
User

GySgt1811; It's indeed repulsive. I'm ashamed to admit that I'm the Bubba who desecrated it

Don't forget to post some pictures of the result if you go ahead with anodizing those parts David