LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 07-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #1
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts
Angry Total Solar Eclipse 2017

https://www.space.com/33797-total-so...017-guide.html

https://phys.org/news/2017-06-total-...1st-years.html

On Aug. 21, 2017, people across the United States will see the sun disappear behind the moon, turning daylight into twilight, causing the temperature to drop rapidly and revealing massive streamers of light streaking through the sky around the silhouette of the moon. On that day, America will fall under the path of a total solar eclipse .

The so-called Great American Total Solar Eclipse will darken skies all the way from Oregon to South Carolina, along a stretch of land about 70 miles (113 kilometers) wide. People who descend upon this "path of totality" for the big event are in for an unforgettable experience.

If you miss the Aug. 21 eclipse, the next total solar eclipse in the continental U.S will occur on April 8, 2024. The line of totality will cross from Texas, up through the Midwest, almost directly over Indianapolis, Cleveland and Buffalo, New York, up over New England and out over Maine and New Brunswick, Canada. Carbondale, Illinois, will be in the crosshairs once again.

Totally cool. I'm outside the path of totality in the first eclipse, but the second will pass right over me.

The Science Channel is running teasers that they will broadcast it live starting at noon Monday, the 21st.

Interesting to note that the two continental US eclipses with be diagonal, with the second the mirror of the first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	path.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	67330  

Name:	times.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	67335  

Last edited by sheepherder; 08-21-2017 at 02:54 PM. Reason: added grumpy icon
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 07-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #2
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

it's the end of the world!!!
Attached Images

Unread 07-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,307 Times in 429 Posts

There are distinct solar eclipse "cycles", recognized groups of eclipses with repetitive timings and similar paths. This 2017 eclipse and the 1979 eclipse are on the same cycle.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages...leMapFull.html

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Dwight Gruber for your post:
Unread 07-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #4
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I wish I was in the direct path of the totality. One site says it will be total darkness when the moon covers the sun.

Wasn't that the high point of A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court??? That and shooting the knight in full armor...

Imagine the traffic accidents from all the 'tard's watching out their car windows when it suddenly turns into midnight...

The Space.com site shows my location will get 80% coverage...I'll have to smoke some glass so I can watch it...Or just put on my welding goggles...
The following 2 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 07-31-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
I wish I was in the direct path of the totality. One site says it will be total darkness when the moon covers the sun.
I'm watching a NY based sports talk show and it just occurred to me - What do they do if a baseball game is going on in the 'total' path of the eclipse??? Halt the game until the eclipse is over??? Or start the night-time lighting a half hour ahead of time and play through it (it takes that long for those lights to get to full intensity). If it is true that there will be total darkness for however long a time, then it's not just teenage girls texting as they drive who will be inconvenienced, but all manner of outdoors activities. I just read that the temp is expected to drop 10º during the totality. That won't last but it could be...distracting...
Unread 07-31-2017, 05:12 PM   #6
kurusu
User

Quote:
it's the end of the world!!!
As you know it.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to kurusu for your post:
Unread 07-31-2017, 05:14 PM   #7
kurusu
User

Quote:
I'm watching a NY based sports talk show and it just occurred to me - What do they do if a baseball game is going on in the 'total' path of the eclipse??? Halt the game until the eclipse is over??? Or start the night-time lighting a half hour ahead of time and play through it (it takes that long for those lights to get to full intensity). If it is true that there will be total darkness for however long a time, then it's not just teenage girls texting as they drive who will be inconvenienced, but all manner of outdoors activities. I just read that the temp is expected to drop 10º during the totality. That won't last but it could be...distracting...
Wow! Quoting yourself. That's Rich.

Er. Nevermind.
Unread 07-31-2017, 05:20 PM   #8
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,350 Times in 2,040 Posts

I'm trying to find a gullible luger collector, planning to threaten to blot out the sun if he does not give me all his lugers.

Know of any candidates?

Eclipse won't be total here, but near enough for me- 98-99%; but it will probably be raining and cloudy.

What happens if an eclipse of the sun happens at night and no one hears it? Is it still an eclipse?
Unread 07-31-2017, 05:23 PM   #9
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
I'm trying to find a gullible luger collector, planning to threaten to blot out the sun if he does not give me all his lugers.

Know of any candidates?

Eclipse won't be total here, but near enough for me- 98-99%; but it will probably be raining and cloudy.

What happens if an eclipse of the sun happens at night and no one hears it? Is it still an eclipse?
There is no night on this planet. Not at the same time.
Unread 07-31-2017, 07:44 PM   #10
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,350 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurusu View Post
There is no night on this planet. Not at the same time.
Now that is good to know!

But are you sure?
I can only be one place at a time and thus cannot verify- but I trust you, so it must be true.
Unread 07-31-2017, 08:02 PM   #11
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
Same weather here, probably. Or snow - We get 8 months of Winter here, with blizzards on both ends.

A lady friend is interested in getting up an 'Eclipse Party'. I have an uneasy feeling about that...
Unread 08-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #12
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Sunday paper had a couple column inches about the eclipse. Seems NASA will launch a plane to observe the total eclipse in Oregon. But it can't follow the eclipse across the nation - because the shadow will be traveling at 2,400 mph...

The US is only about that wide...So the event will only last slightly over 3 hours [I think], from sliver to sliver...With the totality only two and a half minutes long...

There's a public park [no trees] near me, three football filelds long where I walk my dogs...I was thinking of watching it there...If it's overcast/cloudy/raining [it's rained every day for the last ten days] I'll watch on TV...

The map shows the totality occurring at ~2:30pm EDT at my location. I'm thinking of taking my welding helmet lens with me to watch it. They're fairly cheap for a 2" x 4" lens.
Unread 08-13-2017, 10:36 AM   #13
kurusu
User

Quote:
Sunday paper had a couple column inches about the eclipse. Seems NASA will launch a plane to observe the total eclipse in Oregon. But it can't follow the eclipse across the nation - because the shadow will be traveling at 2,400 mph...

The US is only about that wide...So the event will only last slightly over 3 hours [I think], from sliver to sliver...With the totality only two and a half minutes long...

There's a public park [no trees] near me, three football filelds long where I walk my dogs...I was thinking of watching it there...If it's overcast/cloudy/raining [it's rained every day for the last ten days] I'll watch on TV...

The map shows the totality occurring at ~2:30pm EDT at my location. I'm thinking of taking my welding helmet lens with me to watch it. They're fairly cheap for a 2" x 4" lens.
That'll teach you to retire the SR-71.
Unread 08-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #14
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

i believe that welding lens has to be at least a 14 level...double check some of the articles on the internet...i bought several of the special glasses for my g-kids....they are not expensive...hope you have good viewing........i am way down in southern texas but will have about a 50% coverage for a couple of minutes...BUT do not view this without eye wear unless you are in the total zone and only then take them off for the totally ONLY......MAX a couple of minutes.........be careful..........
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #15
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,361 Posts

I was visiting Vieques PR during the 1998 total eclipse. It got pretty darned dark, but not literally as dark as night. There is always a bit of corona, at least, which peeks from behind the moon. https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEmono...8/TSE1998.html
Unread 08-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #16
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default What a bust !!!

I just came in from the time of greatest eclipse in my area. It was still as light as it was at noon!

The local news broadcast last night that we would get about 70% eclipse, so I've been watching the Science Channel. It never even got dark in the areas of totality. As far as I could see on TV, the only difference was that the shadows diminished.

There has been a weird effect here though. The amount of traffic is about what I see at 1:00 at night...Minutes go by with no cars/trucks, in either direction. And about a third of what does go by have their headlights on.

The Science Channel had promised live coverage across the country but they keep showing segments of How The Universe Works interspersed with a female announcer in Oregon, and they keep repeating the segments and her comments rather than live regional coverage.

I'm really disappointed! If this is the best our solar system has to offer, I'll go somewhere else next time.
Unread 08-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #17
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,603 Times in 933 Posts

I live in a college town. A solar eclipse is as good an excuse as any to have a party, no complaints here.
Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #18
WG dog
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

The total eclipse was AWESOME! About 1 minute 15 seconds of total eclipse in my front yard. Southwest St. Louis County.

At totality it was not total darkness, but like evening before night falls. Did not see any birds moving, or hear any birds singing. Temp dropped noticeably on hot muggy day.

Very cool to observe the sun slowly being obscured for an hour or more before totality. And the light fading.

Eclipse glasses worked fine to watch the sun being obscured and then coming back after totality. During totality, couldn't see anything with glasses on, just dark. During totality, glasses off, just like a photo, a black disc in the sky with a little brightness circling the black disc.

Just before the end of totality, there was a tiny super bright point of light that grew and sparkled, at the edge where the sun was about to appear again. Might have been the "diamond" I read about somewhere.

Eclipse was something nice to see!
WG dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #19
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

Tracking~http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40657793
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tracking 003.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	68070  

cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #20
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norme View Post
I live in a college town. A solar eclipse is as good an excuse as any to have a party, no complaints here.
Regards, Norm
I just saw on TV that some couple had their wedding during the eclipse.