LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 05-17-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
Steve71
User

Post 1917 Artillery my first luger

I've been a gun enthusiast all my life and in a couple of weeks I will be getting my first luger. I've always dreamed of having one since I was a kid. I was raised on "Combat, Rat Patrol and Twelve O'clock High. Ok, that's my history I've really been reading over this web site and I am amazed at what I have learned in a few days. There is so much I don't know but I'm willing to learn. I need some help OK? This luger stuff is ADDICTIVE!

A friend of mine in Montana had a neighbor pass away and his wife gave him the luger which belonged to her husband. He got it from his dad. His Dad brought it back from Hungary in 1938 or 39. There is more history on the gun but none of it is documented. The story has been passed along in the family since then. My buddy knew I would be interested and has offered it to me for a fair price. Hopefully, you guys can help me on that.

I haven't seen it yet, but I will try and post some pictures that were sent to me. My buddy says the bluing is about 50%. No pitting. The odd thing about this piece is that the right side grip is wore smooth. Does anyone know why this is? The gun is reported to be all original. The numbers match with the exception of the magazine. The gun is fully operational and has a holster, and cleaning kit. It is a 1917 DWM Artillery Ser # 48xx. Once I get it, I can post some better pictures which will help, but if any of you can help me, I'd appreciate it. This is a piece that I will keep forever and hand down to my son or son-in-law. I'm considering maybe having it refinished, (I've been reading about Thor) but I'm reading a lot of different opinions on whether or not a guy should do that. I'll decide that later. Can you estimate a fair price that I should pay. The guy is a friend of mine, but at the same time, it didn't cost him anything. I naturally want a good deal, but I want to be fair about it as well. He's delivering the gun to me in a couple of weeks and said, "pay me what it's worth".

I'm sorry to not be better informed and I don't recall the exact name on the markings. You can't see it in the photos, but it has the three crowns and eagle on the right side of the breach. Ok, I know your laughing and someone will tell me what they are called.

Anyway, thanks for helping and thanks for letting me join you.

Steve
Steve71 is offline   Reply With Quote