Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 08-28-2017, 05:16 PM   #61
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19 View Post
Hi Kurusu,

OK, got that!

I still have 3 parts in my assemblies that I downloaded from the internet - all the others I have remodelled. These remaining three seemed to fit OK. I checked only the major dimensions. It seems that I should have re-done all of them - D*#$n!

I am currently remodelling said parts, one of these is the ejector spring in question, and that is why it is not sitting in the correct resting position.

You also mentioned the magazine release button. Can I have pictures please, This is one I remodelled exactly as per the manufacturer's drawings (see attached image). It might be the lighting in the images, maybe not. Those pyramid chequering patterns can look odd in some views.

Regards,

Dave
The left side is OK. It's the right side that is iffy. Report to my second photo. You'll see what I mean.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2017, 06:35 PM   #62
9x19
User

Hi Guys,

Kurusu, you have a keen eye, my friend.

I totally remade the last three parts that I had previously accepted as being OK - the bolt housing block, the "Geladen" indicator and the ejector spring. Springs are not particularly well handled by today's solid modelling programs, especially leaf springs as their movement is so complex. I had to create fixed geometry that matched the shape of the part as it would be in situ. I cannot drive the shape with mating constraints.

The depth of the cut-out in the frame for the magazine ejection button was my error, and was 0.2mm (nearly 0.008") too deep. That is why the button was sitting flush and not slightly proud as it should have been.

Here are the subtle effects of the changes I have made (thanks to Kurusu):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Revised Luger2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	68251  

9x19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to 9x19 for your post:
Unread 08-30-2017, 07:25 PM   #63
kurusu
User

Looks much better now.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2017, 09:11 PM   #64
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Looks great! It appears that you have used a reflective property on the receiver which gives a double image of the knurled toggle knob and the frame ramp, making them look twice as thick. The demarcation line between the object and the reflection is evident, so I hope the "fix" merely involves eliminating the reflection.
Ron
Unread 08-31-2017, 07:43 AM   #65
9x19
User

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, the reflection of the toggle is unfortunate, but in truth black or blue/black is a very difficult colour to light well. A small movement of the model within the lighting zone can make colours change totally, and as you have seen cause surfaces to create unwanted reflections. It is difficult to get the detail out without getting too many reflections or blown highlights. The human eye has a much greater dynamic range than any camera made or any imaging software can duplicate.

Attached is another image viewed from the top of the Luger. Notice how flat looking the back strap of the framework is. Also note how queer the reflection of the ejector spring looks. It takes an age to get each viewpoint to look just right (at least for me it does). I am no graphic artist and all I know about the imaging software I use is self-taught.

Now that the mechanics are sorted I am going to update all three assemblies and then start playing around with the lighting, adding emissive planes, etc.., etc., until I get the results that hopefully best display each individual gun.

When I have that done I might go on to producing some cut-away images to display the inner workings.

Before I finally depart this forum I will post the end results. It could be a while yet though!

Regards,

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Luger top side.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	68274  

Unread 09-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #66
9x19
User

Hi Guys,

I will be starting on the cut-away views soon, but in the meantime I have adjusted the lighting on the 3 gun image:

Regards,

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ALL LUGERS.438.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	68379  

Unread 09-03-2017, 08:45 PM   #67
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19 View Post
Hi Guys,

I will be starting on the cut-away views soon...
Interesting. Are you planning on doing any revolving images???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2017, 04:43 PM   #68
9x19
User

An interesting question Sheepherder,

I have never done a pirouetting assembly before, but I do know the software I use has turntable capabilities. Not sure how well the lighting will work under those circumstances. I also don't think there would be any chance of posting it on this site as the file would be far too big. What you have already seen in the images above is vastly reduced in quality.

I may try your suggestion at some time in the future, but as I already have two projects on the go at the moment - a P38 and a British Sten Gun MkII, I don't think it will be any time soon.

Regarding the P38, I have all the parts fully modelled with the exception of the slide and frame. These are about 75% done. They are in limbo at the moment because the drawings I have are not very clear and have some "blown out" details. If any of you guys have better copies of these two drawings (or know where I might get them, I don't mind paying for good quality copies) I would be most grateful.

Regards all,

Dave

Last edited by 9x19; 09-09-2017 at 02:04 PM.