LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 09-06-2021, 05:56 PM   #1
k38
User

Default Luger trigger

Hello,

Despite having owned dozens of handguns over the last half century, I never had a Luger until about five or six years ago when I bought what I believe collectors call an "alphabet" Luger, i.e. a 1920s commercial in the somewhat fascinating caliber .30 Luger.

This is a beautiful gun, in high condition and I shoot it now and then. It has been absolutely reliable with factory ammo (this is one of the few cf cartridges I do not reload, since bullets seem hard to find).

At any rate, the trigger: I've read that Luger triggers are proverbially creepy. That ain't the problem with mine; it's the weight. It's a good eleven pounds, the heaviest trigger I've ever had on a handgun. It reminds me of a WW2 Arisaka I once had, except I think the Arisaka was lighter. Is this normal?

I should mention that despite the awful trigger, I can shoot the thing reasonably well, the ergonomics of the pistol being so good.
k38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2021, 07:46 PM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,087 Times in 1,423 Posts

You might want to try putting in a lighter trigger spring. I once had a shooter with the sweetest trigger pull..Taking it down for cleaning I found someone had replaced the original with a ball point pen spring! Someone might have replaced yours with a much stronger spring.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 10 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 09-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #3
4 Scale
User

I have found Luger trigger operation to be quite variable. Trigger operation on shooters can be improved but it is sometimes not a simple matter and there is a safety consideration anytime one attempts to improve trigger action. I enjoy tinkering with shooters and have improved trigger function on several. Sometimes the improvement is easy (a little polish or filing on on a part) and sometime it is more involved (tig weld, parts replacement, heating/bending/re-tempering etc). As a starting point, I would suggest disassemble the pistol into upper and lower sections, get a dummy round and carefully inspect each and every part involved in the firing pin release train to determine what is causing the heavy pull. As with many things on Lugers, it is most helpful to have a second pistol handy as a reference for function.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post: