LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 06-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
DuWhat
User

Default **Moved to Off Topic**Luftwaffe buckel and belt question

Been a member for several years but I tend to read and learn instead of post as you guys knowledge is so much more than mine. Not i'm stumped. I recently purchased from a granddaughter of a deseased WWII vetran a Luftwaffe belt and buckel that he brought back. Standard flying eagle buckel with appears to be a 'brown' belt and i'm wondering if it belonged to a member of a Flak unit. Reason i'm asking is it is marked in two places on the back of belt "5/s.Flakl.Rgt.II".
I assume this is 5th Unit of Flak Regiment II???? Also if that is correct any ideal of where the unit was based? Any help with the id of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Robert

Last edited by DuWhat; 06-07-2013 at 08:08 PM. Reason: spelling
DuWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
NoncomRetired
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

5 Flak-Sturm Regiment 2 with two mixed AA battalions and one light AA battalion, part of the III Flak Corps....maybe??? If so, it was probably captured at Normandy, that's where they were.

http://www.ww2.dk/ground/hq/iiflak.htm
NoncomRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to NoncomRetired for your post:
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
DuWhat
User

Intresting. The granddaughter also says she has a small .32 pistol in a brown holster if she can find it and thinks she saw it and the belt together in her childhood. Grandfather recently passed and she's going through his house to get ready to sell. Maybe they go together, what do you think? Will talk to her again and get her to redouble her efforts to find the supposed pistol and holster. So would it be safe to say that that unit was in Normandy during D-Day. Thanks for your info. Robert
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Help her look! A complete rig like that is a hard thing to find these days!
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
NoncomRetired
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuWhat View Post
Been a member for several years but I tend to read and learn instead of post as you guys knowledge is so much more than mine. Not i'm stumped. I recently purchased from a granddaughter of a deseased WWII vetran a Luftwaffe belt and buckel that he brought back. Standard flying eagle buckel with appears to be a 'brown' belt and i'm wondering if it belonged to a member of a Flak unit. Reason i'm asking is it is marked in two places on the back of belt "5/s.Flakl.Rgt.II".
I assume this is 5th Unit of Flak Regiment II???? Also if that is correct any ideal of where the unit was based? Any help with the id of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Robert
According to that link, most all the 3rd Flak Corps was destroyed in the Faliase Pocket during their retreat after Normandy and what was left of the personnel escaped to Germany. It was later re-organized and and "could" have been in Holland, part of the 1st Flak Bde during Operation Market Garden, Flak units at Arnheim/Oosterbeek, Eindhoven and Nijmegen drop zones shooting down those C-47s and gliders during the airdrops is well known by photos and german combat film. I don't think they were in, if they were there, in the Arnhiem/Oosterbeek fighting though. I have been to all three drop zones and those towns mentioned above.

I would think that the soldier who thought it important to mark his belt would also mark his holster which was probably a Flak NCO.

Find that holster with pistol and hopefully it will be marked also. I had two holsters with the owners name inside the holster.

Good luck
NoncomRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:27 PM   #6
DuWhat
User

The marks are stamped in the leather of the belt and not written in pen or ink. She called tonight and said she has found the pistol and it is in nice shape. Hasn't found the holster yet but says she knows it's in the house. She says the pistol says CZ on the grips so i'm betting it's a CZ model 27. She has invited me over tomorrow to help her look so i'm keeping my fingers crossed we will find it. I do not want to cheat her so if we find it what would be a fair price to give her for the pistol and holster provided they are in good shape? Pictures to come if we find it. Thanks, Robert
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
DuWhat
User

Moving to " Off Topic and Other Firearms"...................now pictures
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Why did you move it....
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
DuWhat
User

Figured this was just for Luger holsters.