LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 03-09-2022, 01:15 PM   #1
Aridin
New User

Default 1914 Mainspring question

New to Lugers and having difficulty cocking this pistol. 1914 serial no 3175. All parts have 75 on them except magazine. Took apart and cleaned and oiled the major moving parts but still can barely stroke it. The mainspring has 16 or 17 coils and is really stout. It has not been shot in many years so I don't know if it will function but don't see any reason not to try. Should I replace the spring with one of the 22 coil versions or shoot it first and see what happens?
Aridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2022, 01:27 PM   #2
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,586 Times in 517 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

If you're not used to working a Luger action, the spring may seem stiff but actually be normal. So, shoot it first, of course. You won't know that a stiff recoil spring is a problem unless you actually try it. Winchester white box seems to work for many Luger owners. DO NOT use Winchester NATO or +p 9mm of any make.

If the magazine is original, you may want to find a new Mec-Gar mag as an original mag may have a weak spring. Most feeding problems with Lugers are caused by magazines.
Doubs is online now   Reply With Quote
The following 7 members says Thank You to Doubs for your post: