LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Swiss Lugers

Unread 01-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
Ed1947
User

Question looking for information,

on a Luger that was brought back from WW2 by my brother's father-in-law. It has a six-inch bbl. as measured from the face of the breech block. It is all blue finish with only about a half inch wear at the muzzle on the left side. The only part not blue is on the right side of the toggle on what I think is the extractor. The SN on the frame is 52xx. The gun has a grip safety and the rear sight can be extended back to 200 Meters. On the rear of the grip under the grip safety, the letters WW are stamped and the number27xx is below that. The grip frame is cut for a shoulder stock. On the left side of the gun the takedown lever is stamped with a crown and the number 18.The grips are wood with fine checkering. The gun is 9mm caliber. There are no rustspots or pitting anywhere. The blue finish is bright with some slight plumb color on left side of frame that only shows in direct sunlight. There are three marks on the left side of the gun above the takedown lever that,left to right,are a crown standing alone,and two crowns atop Capital M's.
I don't collect lugers and never could claim but small knowledge about them. It is my hope that someone on this site can help me learn a bit more on this particular luger.
Thanks,Ed
Ed1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

It sounds like you have an early Navy Luger, but the fact that you say it is all blue, which no strawed parts would indicate a reblue, which would reduce its value.
Photos would be very helpful. This is a scarse and valuable pistol, but how valuable would be determined by extensive photographs.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 01-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Ed, Welcome to the forum! As alanint has written, you seem to have a very collectible Imperial Navy Luger. From what you say, the gun seems to have been refinished, and the take-down lever (at least) is a replacement. I keep a data base of all known Imperial Navies, and I'd like to add your gun to the list. If you email me the serial number and the number below the W.W. on the rear grip strap, I'll send you a link to the list. I'd also like to know if the word Gesichert is obscured by the safety lever when it's in the "Up" position. Regards, Norm
normrab@comcast. net
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Ed1947
User

Smile Thanks Norme,

I now know more than I did yesterday about this gun. Yes, the safety covers the word "Gesichert". The number under the WW is2798. I will have to ask mr Brother about sending complete SN.
ED
Unread 01-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Hi Ed, We respect your brother's right to privacy, but those of us on the forum who routinely share serial numbers are puzzled why anyone would choose to keep them secret. Should your brother decide to disclose the serial of this gun, tell him that there may be a suffix letter associated with it. It will be visible on the front of the frame, below the serial, and will most likely be the letter a. The mark on the rear grip strap, W.W./2798, is a Naval property number, and stands for Werft Willemshaven, the dockyard serving the High Seas Fleet. Regards, Norm
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
Ed1947
User

Default Naval luger

Norm that SN you wanted is 5216.Also, the holster that came with it is a brown military-type flap style. Also,under the SN is some small mark that I can't tell for sure what it is. It sort of looks like the cursive lowercase a laying on it's side. My brother posted some pictures of this gun. If you want to look look under naval lugers. Ed
Unread 01-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
Ed1947
User

Default Naval SN

Norme. Did you get my reply with the SN& holster. Did the SN tell you when this gun was made? Ed.
Unread 01-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Hi Ed, Thank you for the serial number. Your brother's gun is what collectors call a 1906 1st Issue Altered Navy Luger. These were made between 1906 and about 1912 and #5216a is one of the later ones. Genuine Navy holsters are even rarer than the guns, and we would love to see photos of your brother's. Regards, Norm
Unread 01-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
Ed1947
User

Default Norm,

Thanks for your help. Photos of the holster are in the works. Ed
Unread 01-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

This is the same Luger discussed and identified in the Navy Luger section as submitted by bmarshalladams...complete with photos of the gun.