LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 02-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
stefarms
User

Default Uhlan cavalry holster

IMA has a very cool replica holster for the P08 that's said to be a copy of a WW1 Uhlan cavalry holster.

http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info....roducts_id/634

stefarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

that's said to be a copy of a WW1 Uhlan cavalry holster.

It's pure fantasy.

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
GerColctor
User

It must be authentic, it is dated "1916".

Joe
Unread 02-13-2008, 12:00 AM   #4
stefarms
User

I'd still buy one if it came in a right hand version. I particularly like the double magazine holders...I've just identified myself as a flamer, haven't I?
Unread 02-13-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

It would be a very serviceable holster... but as Jerry pointed out, it is complete fantasy... I do believe I remember that this holster is available in a right hand version... Just sent a note to Charles at CMR and ask him...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 12:57 AM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by stefarms
...I've just identified myself as a flamer, haven't I?
nah, we like opinions here, sometimes some are just more louder than others. it gets too rambunctious and we throw some water on those flames.

I am just south of Denver BTW...

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #7
stefarms
User

CMR has the same holster on their website, also a left hand.

I'm up in the People's Republic of Boulder.
Unread 02-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Since most US Cavalery holsters were worn on the right side with butt forward for left hand draw (remember that the Cav also wore a saber on the left side for right hand use) that is probably where the idea of this type of holster being made for them. I have no idea if this was the practice of the German army. TH
Unread 06-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #9
NoncomRetired
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I know this is an old old thread but searching the archives first sometimes does and does not answer a question.

If these holsters are fantasy Uhlan holsters, what holster did they use? A regular belt holster, right side, not to interfere with the saber? I've been searching for info about belts and holsters for Uhlans. I know that in 1915 a directive went out changes the color of leather gear from brown to black for everyone. That was not completely followed I know but some units used black instead of brown from the git-go. What was the color for Uhlans? I've come across photos showing occifer Uhlans with brown at the beginning of the war, was it the same for NCOs? The uniform color didn't change until late 1915 from the old time colors to field green for all.
NoncomRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

404 Not Found

Whoops, our bad...

The page you requested was not found, and we think we know why.
If you typed the URL directly, please make sure the spelling is correct.
If you clicked on a link to get here, the link is outdated (our mistake, sorry).

It's too bad the original poster didn't attach a pic of the holster, instead of posting a link to a URL that no longer exists...

I did find this pic on IMA's site...

German WWI Uhlan Cavalry Luger Holster

http://www.ima-usa.com/german-wwi-uh...r-holster.html

New Made Item: A perfect replica of one of WWI's rarest Luger holsters, issued only to Cavalry and Lancer (UHLAN) units. Top quality brown leather hardshell Left Hand Luger holsters complete with "over the shoulder" body sling designed to be worn on the right hip butt forward for use with the left hand. The right hand was intended for either a lance or sabre. Fitted, like the originals, with Two spare P-08 Luger magazine compartments. A great reproduction of one the scarcest of WWI holsters. Complete with WWI markings.

These holsters are not the cheaply made knock-offs so often encountered. Examine the quality of the workmanship, the clarity of the stampings, and the quality of the leather that make these Reproductions stand out above all the rest.
Attached Images

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
NoncomRetired
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Rich....it is that holster that Jerry and some others wrote off as pure fantasy. I would think that this is where a cavalry lanyard would be used, since they are documented, along with a regular side holster (right side w/butt to the rear). I know it's been mention that our cavalry had butt to the front but that was then, back with Sitting Bull and Geronimo.

Every sales pitch that I've read on sites offering these holsters say the same thing, 'patterned after original Uhlan holsters' but I've yet to see that original that they base that statement on.

Nice holster, designed well and if it was offered back in 1914, both the designer and maker would have many many Reichmarks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by postino View Post
404 Not Found

Whoops, our bad...

The page you requested was not found, and we think we know why.
If you typed the URL directly, please make sure the spelling is correct.
If you clicked on a link to get here, the link is outdated (our mistake, sorry).

It's too bad the original poster didn't attach a pic of the holster, instead of posting a link to a URL that no longer exists...

I did find this pic on IMA's site...

German WWI Uhlan Cavalry Luger Holster

http://www.ima-usa.com/german-wwi-uh...r-holster.html

New Made Item: A perfect replica of one of WWI's rarest Luger holsters, issued only to Cavalry and Lancer (UHLAN) units. Top quality brown leather hardshell Left Hand Luger holsters complete with "over the shoulder" body sling designed to be worn on the right hip butt forward for use with the left hand. The right hand was intended for either a lance or sabre. Fitted, like the originals, with Two spare P-08 Luger magazine compartments. A great reproduction of one the scarcest of WWI holsters. Complete with WWI markings.

These holsters are not the cheaply made knock-offs so often encountered. Examine the quality of the workmanship, the clarity of the stampings, and the quality of the leather that make these Reproductions stand out above all the rest.
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

The Imperial German cavarlry, some of whom were issued pistols, wore the holster on either side depending on the individual's preference. The sabre was mounted on the left side of the saddle to the rear.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
NoncomRetired
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
The Imperial German cavarlry, some of whom were issued pistols, wore the holster on either side depending on the individual's preference. The sabre was mounted on the left side of the saddle to the rear.
George, would you know the color of the leather belts, holsters and riding boots used by the Uhlans in 1914? Were they original black or did they change with the 1915 directive to black from brown? I've seen photos of both but the ones with black leathers are with the newer field green/grey uniform they switched to in 1915/16.
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #14
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Ed, the uhlans, like all other units, went from blue uniforms to field grey in 1910. There was another change to the tunic in 1915. Uhlans and other cavalry units continued to wear their traditonal tunics (Ulanka in the case of uhlans) right up until the end of the war. Leather items were originally brown with many dyed black in 1916 or later. Most of the cavalry marked holsters I have are brown as is one of the three cavalry belts I have.
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #15
NoncomRetired
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanks George for that info...another question, would they have kept and used there blue uniforms for parade and walking out dress after 1910? Also, was a cavalry belt for NCO/EN any different than the regular infantryman?

Quote:
Ed, the uhlans, like all other units, went from blue uniforms to field grey in 1910. There was another change to the tunic in 1915. Uhlans and other cavalry units continued to wear their traditonal tunics (Ulanka in the case of uhlans) right up until the end of the war. Leather items were originally brown with many dyed black in 1916 or later. Most of the cavalry marked holsters I have are brown as is one of the three cavalry belts I have.
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #16
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Ed, I have dozens of photos of Uhlans but can not say that I have any that give evidence of continuing wear of the earlier uniforms.
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #17
NoncomRetired
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanks George...

Quote:
Ed, I have dozens of photos of Uhlans but can not say that I have any that give evidence of continuing wear of the earlier uniforms.